Need Help: The wedding dance tunes thread

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
I'm getting married in August. Our music will be by DJ spinnin' iTunes. We're not letting the DJ pick the tunes, we want to do that ourselves.

But the doesn't mean that we aren't open to suggestions. We're looking for danceable tunes from classic rock, with perhaps some classic disco thrown in or even some more modern stuff. We need both faster tunes and slow dance tunes.

What would be on your must play list for a wedding these days?

Note: many of the tunes you suggest could be new to us, so song title AND artist would be appreciated!

Bill

Congratulations! And good luck. My wife and I had to same sort of plan 19 years ago. Pretty much laid out what the DJ was to play. Then a number of the guests went up and requested a bunch of country tunes while we were busy, and all I remember is endless "Achy Breaky Heart" line dancing. UUGHHHHH!

What level of dancing are we talking? I love Brian Setzer Orchestra stuff, but most people can't dance like "Jump, Jive and Wail" (especially me:laugh:), but a little liquid courage and it's a song that makes people move.

The closest thing to country will be Bob Seger's "The Fire Inside".

We're just talking regular club dancing stuff. I don't think there will be any waltzing or dub step.

I have 100% control over what will be available on the server. I plan on making several play lists:
One for as the reception starts
One for the introduction of the wedding party
One for the dinner
One for the first dances
One for the dancing into the night.

Last edited:
If you want to throw a little blues/soul in there, Tommy Castro has a few you might like: Hard Believer, Ninety Nine and One Half, Nobody Loves Me Like My Baby, Lucky in Love. And if you're gonna dance into the night, by definition you have to play Dance The Night Away by Van Halen! :)

Congrats!

Calling Sergio...

Huh? Somebody call me?

Do you have the big songs picked yet Bill? By that I mean first dance, first time introducing the happy couple, etc... or are you even doing that?

What's the age demographic?

The bride and groom are 57+. Most of the friends are 50s. Family and other friends from newborn through 40s. Your typical wedding mix save the age of the bride and groom.

The first dance is mostly picked - we have one in mind, but look at others and end up going back to the original.

It's a Celtic wedding so most of the introductions will be either Celtic stuff and/or a Piper. The dinner music will probably be Celtic.

But after the first dance, things will change. At the moment, the plan is to completely shock the audience by launching into Pink's "Get The Party Started." :rofl: and yes - it will be a Saturday night....

I'm getting married in August.

Congratulations, Bill!

Our music will be by DJ spinnin' iTunes. We're not letting the DJ pick the tunes, we want to do that ourselves.

But the doesn't mean that we aren't open to suggestions. We're looking for danceable tunes from classic rock, with perhaps some classic disco thrown in or even some more modern stuff. We need both faster tunes and slow dance tunes.

What would be on your must play list for a wedding these days?

Note: many of the tunes you suggest could be new to us, so song title AND artist would be appreciated!

Bill

OK... how lame would it be if a forum full of music lovers failed to suggest 50 great tunes? I'm sticking this post at the top for the next few days.

Gentlemen. A little help over here?

The official dance song of the summer has too be in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Slayer is out. I'd play some more Pink cause Justin Derrico is a monster. I also like that Ellie Goulding song "Lights"...you know when I'm not listening to Slayer.

If you want to throw a little blues/soul in there, Tommy Castro has a few you might like: Hard Believer, Ninety Nine and One Half, Nobody Loves Me Like My Baby, Lucky in Love. And if you're gonna dance into the night, by definition you have to play Dance The Night Away by Van Halen! :)

Congrats!

I'm listing to the tommy Castro tunes - I really like Luck in Love and Had enough, thanks!

The official dance song of the summer has too be in there.

good one, Sergio!

I guess Slayer is out. I'd play some more Pink cause Justin Derrico is a monster. I also like that Ellie Goulding song "Lights"...you know when I'm not listening to Slayer.

More Pink is a definite possibility...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Justin Timberlake is quite my style....

Marvin Gaye, on the other hand will do just fine!

I like the Rick James tune (hot chicks - bonus! ) - but the lyrics of that tune don't say 'just married' :laugh:

Not really a suggestion, but whenever I think of wedding dancing I think of the episode(s) of "Everybody Loves Raymond" where Robert and Amy got married. Their first dance was the remix of "A Little Less Conversation" by Elvis and ???.

I've only been to two weddings in my life; both my own. Sorry I'm not much help, but Good Luck to you both.

Lloyd

It's a sad state that a thread about what music you want at your funeral gets pages of replies and this one is stillborn.

The song title game thread has over 2200 posts. What Goldtop is listening to has another 1200. I'm pretty sure some people around here should know a few dance tunes for a wedding.

My forum brothers let me down... :bawling:

Last edited:
Back