NAD: 2-Channel H

elvis

Hamfisted String Banger
I was looking for a combo that doesn't sound too boxy, but mostly disappointed. At the same time, I was interested in a PRS amp to complement my Archon. Similar, but maybe backed off a bit, tuned more for classic rock.

Found this lovely beast and made a trade. Love it!

Outstanding! I've got the 2 Channel Custom 50 which I think is a great compliment to the Archon. Kissing cousins.

Hope the trade wasn't too steep!

Thanks! Traded an ASAT Classic that just wasn't getting me there. Good value trade for me based on what I paid for that.

The tone is outstanding with my new Nash T-57. I am really surprised at how full this combo sounds. It's physically bigger than I expected, but totally worth it.

In good company!

Let me know how you like that clean channel, compared to the Archon clean channel. I love the clean channel on my Custom 50.

The clean is excellent. A bit more compressed and clippy than the Archon, but still very open. The Archon's has crazy headroom, so it can be a bit sterile by comparison.

What is the proper bias setting?
30+-5mV is recommended by PRS for either 6L6's or El34's. They just bias at different pot settings to get to the 30mV. Other amp makers use 35mV so they run just a little hotter. It's funny that PRS recommends 37mV for SE50's running El34's. I think anything in there is going to be fine. Bias them to the hotter side if you want it to break up sooner. The tubes won't last as long however. Still not a huge difference.

Last edited:
Played through the amp with several different guitars, it rocked them all! I especially like my tele with it. The dirt channel is my favorite one-channel amp! I actually forgot I was on the dirt channel at one point, thought I was on the clean channel, as I had the guitar volume backed down. So responsive to guitar volume and tone, plus the pickup tone really comes through. What a great amp! Still can't believe I'm getting this meaty a tone from a 1x12 combo. Add a delay pedal in the loop and it's just incredible.

Elvis, how do you like it compared to the Electra Dyne?

I realy like the H, but it is a quite different beast from the Dyne. The Dyne is warmer, more low-thumpy, with HUGE headroom, but still breaks up a bit at volume. It's an earthquake in a box.

The H is very clean, but still compressed just a bit. More well-behaved and delicate.

Love them both.

Glad you're digging it.

Thanks!

I would say that the simulclass output of the Dyne has a lot to do with its character. That, plus the fact that it's really designed to have the output pushed really define it. The H is regular AB and relies more on preamp character. On the plus side, the preamp has AWESOME character. I can't stop playing my tele through it.

The Dyne is a conundrum as well. It needs to be super loud to really perform. That makes it inconvenient to use. The H, by comparison, needs to get opened up a little, but it works well at much lower volume than the Earthquake box.

Back