Mountain Stage

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Well, I did cave and decided to drive the 1.75 hours to Morgantown to see the taping of Mountain Stage last night. I texted my daughter on Thursday and told her to get tickets. My wife ended up going with me (my buddy had to work). After dinner with my daughter and her boyfriend, we went to the Creative Arts Center and got in line. I texted my daughter and told her she needed to work harder getting tickets - the general admission seats she got me had about 20 people in line in front of me (the whole thing was GA). We ended up in the third row - could have been closer, but I wanted to be just to the left of center stage for Vintage Trouble so I could keep my eye on Nalle Colt.

This show is scheduled to air on May 10, and it will be on the npr.org and mountainstage.org sites as well as iTunes. It was a very good show with two particular high points. First up was a band called Milo Green - great harmonies, but they never really seemed to go anywhere. The vocals were mostly those breathy-type, and they just seemed to need an edge.

Next up was Steve Forbert doing a solo acoustic set. Mostly new material, and it was very good.

After that was high point number one, a young woman named Mieka Pauley. Her songs have sort of a dark viewpoint - well, what else can you say when the first song is about stalking and murdering a man, the second is about breaking up a marriage, and the fourth (and set closer) is "We're All Gonna Die"? But she has a great voice and wicked sense of humor - after the second song, she said, "I'd like to lighten the mood a bit, but that would take a cover song." Line of the night. Close runner up was host Larry Groce (yes, "Junk Food Junkie" Larry Groce), who came out after her set and said, "Wow. That's the kind of girl you want to take home to mother. If you can leave out the mother part."

After that was Vintage Trouble, and they owned the room. Only a five song set, but they tore the place up. Nalle Colt was using a rented amp, but you'd never know. His tone was awesome as usual. I told him about it after, and he said the amp was "just a rented piece of sh*t", but I told him it didn't matter - the tone was there. And where we were at, we heard the straight amp sound, not the PA.

The final act was Robben Ford, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. After VT, he was the act I was most interested in hearing going in. But it was all jazzy stuff, and I just can't make that connection. The other problem was the mix - it was horrible. No vocals on the first song, no organ on the first couple. And he had his Dumble CRANKED - it drowned everything out, even when they did the big jam at the end.

After the show, we stayed to talk to VT again (they remembered me - I'm sure the VT shirt helped, but Nalle and RIch especially seemed to remeber me). And I picked up Mieka's CD and talked to her a bit. Sweet girl.

I texted this pic to my daughter and said, "Meet your new mommy":

mieka.jpg

And I finally got a good picture with VT:

vt.jpg

And VT in action:

vtlive01.jpg

I wish I'd known you could take cameras in for this one - I could have gotten some great pics. But the important thing is I had a blast. Worth the drive and fatigue!

Nice! I'm really digin' on Vintage Trouble.

Me, too. It's been a long time since a band blew me away like this. I can only think of two other acts I saw twice on the same tour, and only one that I saw twice in less time. I was actually tired after their set was done, and my wife laughed at me when I let out a big sigh.

Back