More Sustain Please

I also deliberately held off from suggesting Steve upgrade his CS-3 to a full-sized Wampler Ego Compressor. The only reason I like Wampler is because the Ego compressor offers a Blend knob, which mixes wet with dry signal; wet "squished" to dry "original" guitar signal. The feature works well for a more organic feel that cleans up signal transients as well as adding compression via the Attack & Sustain knobs.

Here's Don Carr once again:

FTR, I don't completely understand about Compressors/Limiters. What limited info that was provided was enough to solve the problem Steve asked about.

Yeah, they’re kinda tricky to get the hang of for sure. I actually find the “simple” ones like guitar pedals that omit some of the controls, or combine them to be more difficult to understand.

I got a hang of them with outboard stuff for studios and live work, and stuck with them, or things that emulate them, so I wrongly assumed the Boss had the typical ratio, threshold, and release knobs.

I’ve never tried the Wampler, but heard a lot of good things. I will however whole heartedly vouch for the Barber Tone Press. The Keeley 4 knob is great as well. The Keeley two knob is a great comp but is a squisher.

I also hate to say “buy, buy, buy” (Yes, I know I don’t fit in here), but I had a CS3 and have played all the comps above except the Wampler, and I also own an Xotic SP. For comp reasons and tone reasons, sell the boss and buy any of the above and you’ll get what you want plus improve your tone.

I’ve never tried the Wampler, but heard a lot of good things. I will however whole heartedly vouch for the Barber Tone Press. The Keeley 4 knob is great as well. The Keeley two knob is a great comp but is a squisher.

I also hate to say “buy, buy, buy” (Yes, I know I don’t fit in here), but I had a CS3 and have played all the comps above except the Wampler, and I also own an Xotic SP. For comp reasons and tone reasons, sell the boss and buy any of the above and you’ll get what you want plus improve your tone.

The Wampler is useful as an "always on" effect that you hardly notice being on, if perhaps you dial it in correctly. (Read: the Sustain can be increased just so the Attack is decreased. The Blend knob can be set for a good mix of wet/dry.) The Wampler is the oldest effect on my board, IIRC, has always worked faithfully, and has never been an issue. It gets me where I need to be, simply because the effect is very low maintenance.

FTR, I've tried the Keeley 4-button, but had some reservations about the foot-switch popping (a non-silent switch) when activated/deactivated. The pop was rather noticeable, and was the reason the Keeley departed my board relatively quickly. (Not sure if Keeley has modified his recent design with these or not) Can't say anything pro or against the Barber or Xotic for lack of experience with the products.

Back