More Sustain Please

Steven Lafferty

I have a Fender Strat, a Nashville Tele and a PRS SE Custom 24 that I am playing through a Fender Champion 100 with a Boss CS-3 Compressor and a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe Overdrive. I'm wanting to get more Sustain without getting so much of that "squeezing sound" when I use my overdrive pedal and compressor together. So far, I am just using my compressor as a clean boost. But, I have been using it with the Tumnus to try to get more sustain. I guess I just don't know what I am doing. I mean I am getting a decent sustain but I know there is more there to get that sweet sustaining sing, but im not sure of how to set my pedals to get more.

All help is greatly appreciated thanks so much in advance.

Steve,

I've forgotten what the CS-3 & Tumnus knob layouts looks like, but will do a little research and check back in a second. It might be as simple as some knob tweaks, but I'll offer my suggestion in a minute...

OK. The CS-3 has a sustain knob. The sustain knob works in regards to the compression ratio. In order to reduce the "squeezed sound", you'll need to adjust both the Level and Attack knobs counterclockwise, because increasing the Sustain also increases the Level and audible Attack "sound."

My suggestion (where I viewed the CS-3 knob layout) is Sweetwater's website, and search Boss CS-3, then view the demo video. Don Carr describes the CS-3 in detail. I think you can take away something from the video, just as I did.

I ditched a CS3 for a Wampler Ego. The benefit of the Ego is the blend control so you can set the compression and sustain levels where you like and then blend that in with your clean signal.

You might find something as simple as lowering your pickups slightly will increase the sustain too. Particularly on a 3 pickup guitar like a Nashville Tele where the pull from the magnets can kill the sustain.

Steve,

I've forgotten what the CS-3 & Tumnus knob layouts looks like, but will do a little research and check back in a second. It might be as simple as some knob tweaks, but I'll offer my suggestion in a minute...

OK. The CS-3 has a sustain knob. The sustain knob works in regards to the compression ratio. In order to reduce the "squeezed sound", you'll need to adjust both the Level and Attack knobs counterclockwise, because increasing the Sustain also increases the Level and audible Attack "sound."

My suggestion (where I viewed the CS-3 knob layout) is Sweetwater's website, and search Boss CS-3, then view the demo video. Don Carr describes the CS-3 in detail. I think you can take away something from the video, just as I did.
So then, your putting your compressor before or after your OD?? Thank you so much

Steve,

So then, your putting your compressor before or after your OD?? thanks so much

Steve, I’ve had a CS-3 since 1989 and it can squeeze your signal down pretty good. I run it first before any other pedal. You may just need to try a different compressor, I have a T-Rex comp nova compressor that I run before a Velvet Minotaur (Klon clone) set for light to moderate OD, then into a Homebrew mimic analog delay set for shallow and short repeats, not a very deep delay setting. This pedal chain gives my guitar decent sustain without sounding like theres a bunch of effects turned on. And also did you get your amp fixed?

Steve, I’ve had a CS-3 since 1989 and it can squeeze your signal down pretty good. I run it first before any other pedal. You may just need to try a different compressor, I have a T-Rex comp nova compressor that I run before a Velvet Minotaur (Klon clone) set for light to moderate OD, then into a Homebrew mimic analog delay set for shallow and short repeats, not a very deep delay setting. This pedal chain gives my guitar decent sustain without sounding like theres a bunch of effects turned on. And also did you get your amp fixed?
I took it to the shop this week. They said I should have it back about Wednesday this week.

So then, your putting your compressor before or after your OD?? Thank you so much

Steve,

I agree with @Lacire in placing the compressor before the overdrive. Personally, I also use a Wampler Ego Compressor (the larger-sized one) because the effect has a Blend knob as well as the other 4 knobs that the CS-3 has that enables a better balance between Level, Attack and Sustain.

IIRC, the Blend knob mixes the wet-dry signal for a more organic tone which has a compressed and dry signal simultaneously.

Comparatively, the Wampler Ego Mini pedal has only 3 knobs, but is TonePrint enabled for various preset tones which can be programmed into the Mini.

I use the Wampler after a buffer, wah and acoustic enhancer effect, but before any overdrive, modulation or other effects.

Steve,

I agree with @Lacire in placing the compressor before the overdrive. Personally, I also use a Wampler Ego Compressor (the larger-sized one) because the effect has a Blend knob as well as the other 4 knobs that the CS-3 has that enables a better balance between Level, Attack and Sustain.

IIRC, the Blend knob mixes the wet-dry signal for a more organic tone which has a compressed and dry signal simultaneously.

Comparatively, the Wampler Ego Mini pedal has only 3 knobs, but is TonePrint enabled for various preset tones which can be programmed into the Mini.

I use the Wampler after a buffer, wah and acoustic enhancer effect, but before any overdrive, modulation or other effects.

Pretty much the same way I run mine also. My pedal chain is always subject to change but I run a wha, tuner, compressor, OD or two, modulations of some kind and delay last.

I took it to the shop this week. They said I should have it back about Wednesday this week.
Glad to hear you found somebody to repair it. If you could, post in your other tread what problem they found and what they replace in it. I usually make my own repairs but when its beyond me and someone else works on something I like getting the replaced parts back.

Instead of a compressor, consider stacking another OD or distortion box. It may seem unorthodox, but I spent many years avoiding the undesireable - to me - squish. With the right combination, you don’t have to crank the dirt, just load the other pedal’s input buffer enough to create its own natural compression. It’s all subjective, but for natural, musical sustain, I’ve never turned to a compressor. Oh, and turn up the volume a little, angle your speaker(s) toward your guitar, and let physics take over. ;)

Glad to hear you found somebody to repair it. If you could, post in your other tread what problem they found and what they replace in it. I usually make my own repairs but when its beyond me and someone else works on something I like getting the replaced parts back.
It was Capacitors

Or just lower the attack and ratio and increase the release on the compressor pedal you already have...

Instead of a compressor, consider stacking another OD or distortion box. It may seem unorthodox, but I spent many years avoiding the undesireable - to me - squish. With the right combination, you don’t have to crank the dirt, just load the other pedal’s input buffer enough to create its own natural compression. It’s all subjective, but for natural, musical sustain, I’ve never turned to a compressor. Oh, and turn up the volume a little, angle your speaker(s) toward your guitar, and let physics take over. ;)

This is actually a good way of thinking about things...some overdrive effects have compression built into them...the clue is to be discerning and do your research...

Or just lower the attack and ratio and increase the release on the compressor pedal you already have...

Not to dissuade you, Serg, but the CS-3 only has 4 knobs, Level, Attack, Tone, and Sustain. I think what Steve was asking was how much could he increase the sustain without adding too much squish. Don Carr's Sweetwater video does a good job describing the process and how to mitigate the squish and still keep the sustain.

This is actually a good way of thinking about things...some overdrive effects have compression built into them...the clue is to be discerning and do your research...

Not to dissuade you, Serg, but the CS-3 only has 4 knobs, Level, Attack, Tone, and Sustain. I think what Steve was asking was how much could he increase the sustain without adding too much squish. Don Carr's Sweetwater video does a good job describing the process and how to mitigate the squish and still keep the sustain.

Thanks I just saw this myself. Nice video and helps a lot.

On my board, the compressor is always on. On top of that, I stack overdrives for the higher gain stuff.

The biggest questions to me are, what environment and what kind of volume are we talking here? If you want that big, singing sustain, there really is no substitute for pushing serious air with a cranked tube amp.

Ahh.. I see. So you’d turn the attack knob clockwise to get less squish, and the sustain up as well to have a longer release.

Ahh.. I see. So you’d turn the attack knob clockwise to get less squish, and the sustain up as well to have a longer release.

Almost. Level and Attack counterclockwise, Sustain clockwise. Sustain also increases the Level; attenuating Level and Attack helps reduce the squish. IIRC, I think that was what Don Carr was saying, I'd need to review the video again to be sure.

EDIT: It was noted that increasing Sustain increases the compression ratio, and notably the pick Attack "click - squish." While reducing Level & Attack helps mitigate the "click" you get from higher Attack levels, the squish is still there to some degree.

The only feasible solution possible with the CS-3 is to increase the Sustain, but not to maximum levels, and decrease Level & Attack counterclockwise to mitigate "volume - click - squish."

Last edited:
Almost. Level and Attack counterclockwise, Sustain clockwise. Sustain also increases the Level; attenuating Level and Attack helps reduce the squish. IIRC, I think that was what Don Carr was saying, I'd need to review the video again to be sure.

No wonder that sh!t’s confusing. :confused:

No wonder that sh!t’s confusing. :confused:

I thought so as well. That's why I needed to ask myself where to find out about the CS-3. A little YT research and self Q/A works well.

FTR, I don't completely understand about Compressors/Limiters. What limited info that was provided was enough to solve the problem Steve asked about.

Back