More core semi-hollows

BWV548

Custom Title
are there others out there who would like to see more, and more readily available, core semi-hollows?
All the core SH CUs I see are wood library, or things that seem limited run, even if not private stock.
If there was an SH 594 in the core pricing range, I'd jump on it stat

... but I kill people for PRS all the time anyway.
I didn't know we had a hit man!... but I guess it does make sense since you do live in Chi-Town.

I don't mean to derail this thread, and I'll probably be proven in the minority anyway, but I can't get much tonal difference between a SH and a core. People calk about a hollow sound, but I don't get much. Put some gain on and it's even less.

I didn't know we had a hit man!... but I guess it does make sense since you do live in Chi-Town.

I don't mean to derail this thread, and I'll probably be proven in the minority anyway, but I can't get much tonal difference between a SH and a core. People calk about a hollow sound, but I don't get much. Put some gain on and it's even less.
I don't know if I can say for certain that it is obvious whether a guitar is solid or semi-hollow, but I find that the tones I coax out of a SH are different from what comes out of a solid body. Might be purely a placebo effect, but I get more "breathing" in my tones, whereas the solid bodies are cleaner/more precise. Like a tiny bit of reverb added to the tone.

I don't know if I can say for certain that it is obvious whether a guitar is solid or semi-hollow, but I find that the tones I coax out of a SH are different from what comes out of a solid body. Might be purely a placebo effect, but I get more "breathing" in my tones, whereas the solid bodies are cleaner/more precise. Like a tiny bit of reverb added to the tone.
For me, a big part of it, though not all of it, is down to the way it resonates against my body. That definitely impacts the way I approach playing the instrument. In someways, it's more apparent than a full hollow, as there is clear difference between the hollow and semi bits

Poisoned tacos?

Maybe? :rolleyes:

It's more of a feedback thing at higher volumes and a resonance feeling against your body that makes them so rad.

I always wanted a semi-hollow Starla. I realise it's not Core anymore so my wish is likely limited to Private Stock now but one can dream...

IMO, solid bodies have a hard, immediate attack with more bite/top end. Semi-hollows have a softer, more rounded attack. Almost feels like I have a compressor on at times... only it feels natural.

IMO, solid bodies have a hard, immediate attack with more bite/top end. Semi-hollows have a softer, more rounded attack. Almost feels like I have a compressor on at times... only it feels natural.
Hmm, that might be a good description!

As usual with these types of threads, I want to immediately go play a solid body, semi-hollow, and hollow body back to back to back just to see/hear/feel the differences.

After dinner, perhaps!

This thing
<
Is incredible! I can't imagine a 594 version, but it would be a must have. I wouldn't actually own one... as far as Sergio knows.... but I'd have pictures and stuff.

Hey, yeah, look at that -- there are a couple SEs and a couple S2s, but no cores (currently).

Just made soft tacos for supper. Very tasty.

So I'll pull out the HB tonight and compare to a solid body. I'll have to crank up the volume past the usual to see if I can "feel" what you are talking about. PRS solid bodies are known to vibrate anyway so I'll see if the HB is significantly more.

Oh it is. This sounds funny, and you may not believe it but I swear it's true and not exaggerated. A few weeks before I got my Archon, I had the pictured C22 Semi Hollow out and played it through the Custom 50. Had the gain channel gain on about noon and a decent volume. Wife was home, so not really loud, but fairly for home.

I was holding a chord and felt wind blowing on the hairs on my right arm.... where it was in front of the F hole! I am not kidding. There was freaking wind blowing out of it while sustaining a chord! I couldn't believe it. I've said before here, that guitar is alive. That night, it was BREATHING! A couple days later, I thought it couldn't be true, and that I was imagining it or something. I got it out again and this time had the volume lower. Nothing. Oh, it was alive, sustain forever, etc. But not that wind on the arm hairs stuff. Turned it up a little more, played for a few minutes, got my arm in the right spot and... there it was again. That thing is breathing on me. So again, that guitar is ALIVE!

Back