More Archon news

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5962

I got a new guitar last week. (Thanks Brian and Brians guitars!). It’s not a PRS and it even has the no longer in vogue Floyd Rose on it. I won’t talk much about the guitar here, except to say it is a pure rock and roll machine and is a fantastic and great sounding guitar. And because the FR rests on the body, it has those fat low mids, more like the thickness of a 594 or LP. But it also has GREAT pickups. Anyway...

This weekend, I played this guitar through the Archon exclusively. Every night for 30-45 minutes I played that guitar through the Archon and PRS 2x12 pine cab. Results?

These are THE BEST rock tones I’ve ever gotten out of any gear I’ve ever owned, or played. I will say that I’ve noticed the last few months that the speakers have finally broken in and that cab is sounding better than ever. The tubes in the amp are a couple years old now, so I’m sure it’s not them that has gotten better over the last year. LOL. But this amp sounds better than ever now and that part is the speakers being broken in. But the revelation is that now I’m FINALLY hearing the amp as it was intended... as it was designed. The cab was new when I got the C50 and doesn’t get “cranked” enough, often enough to speed the breakin process. I noticed a nice improvement after a couple “bash sessions” where the wife was gone and I hit it pretty good for a half hour or so, but over the last few months, that cab has come into it’s own and sounds better than ever. And so, now does the amp.

I played a Bogner Ecstacy amp a few years back and it was the best amp I’d ever heard. Pretty easily, actually. While that was 10 years ago, I’m confident that what I’ve heard lately out of the Archon is easily at least its match. It simply sounds incredible. And I’m not just doing metal tones at all. 70s classic rock (with the Gain WAY WAY down. LOL) 80s hard rock tones (only better!) and fat hard rock tones, not just scooped ones. All sound incredible. Tonight, I quickly switched over the the C24 and NF3 for just a few minutes each. Each sounds better than ever lately, with the cab improvement. But that new guitar is a perfect match for just pure rock, hard rock and metal tones and goes incredibly well with this amp.

I’ve said it many times before, but now, even more than ever, the Archon is incredible!

And, I will voice an opinion one more time about the reason this amp sounds SO great now. If I was building new amps and cabs, I’d find a real legitimate way to break in the speakers before they left the factory. I can’t tell you how many times I heard an amp and said “nah, not that great” only to hear it later through a broken in cab/speaker and it sound MUCH MUCH better. While I do have multiple cabs, and I did get the new 2x12 Mesa Recto cab right around the time I got the PRS cab, both got a lot of playing time at ‘mid” volume levels. And that cab is a couple years old now and just in the last 6 months has totally come into it’s own. And BOY does it make the Archon sound even better!!!

Too cool! Glad you've "come around" :D
Yeah, you know I"m a little slow on the uptake. ;)

So, remembering my days where all my cabs were 1x12 and my most powerful amps were 15-20 watts. I remember it taking over a year and my Celestion Greenbacks were still crispy. I got rid of them. The moral of this story, a 2x12 cab with two V30s takes a lot of beating before it finally breaks in. I'd suggest breaking in the speaker one at a time or buying used cabs! But now that they're broken in, oh boy does that Archon sound incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, all the clips and reviews I’m seeing have me wanting one of these bad boys. I love my Custom 20, but I wouldn’t mind having an Archon too.
Sounds like some nice and different cleans too from what I hear.

I had a Custom 50 so I'm sure it's not exactly the same but similar. Key differences were:

Clean channel on the Customs can be pushed to break up sooner and more. Archon has to be jacked before it will overdirve, and even then, mainly with hot pickups a d a mild boost.

Gain channel on the Custom is more "classic rock" type tone. It has plenty of gain, no doubt, but it's smoother gain. Archon gain comes on very fast and it has a LOT of gain, and it's more aggressive, but it can be tamed.

The knobs on both are so well versed that there's almost no place in their entire range where the tones aren't usable/good for something. And, you get what you dial. Meaning, if you just want a little more treble, turn the treble knob up and that's ALL you get, unlike my Mesa Mark amps.

I traded my Custom 50 for a Bogner ATMA and am very please with it because it has great tones at lower volumes, but I liked the C50 enough that if I found a C20 head, I would have traded for that as well. The C50 was just too loud when it stated sounding great, for me to get away with at home. And, the one gig I have where it's tones would have been perfect, I could never turn it up that loud either.

I never believed in a break in until I broke in the speaker in my rectoverb 25 combo. Very noticeable difference.

I think some of it can be dialed out on the gain channel so we can sort of "mask" it. But where I hear the big differences are, clean tones are warmer and smoother and less "papery/crispy" sounding, and gain tones lost that quality as well, making notes more chewy. Sorry about those descriptors, but that's how I hear it.

I read a guy at TGP the other day saying that he couldn't stand most ceramic mag speakers for clean tones, and that alnico speaker sounded much better clean. I know what he's talking about, and now that the V30s are broken in, they have much more of that chewyness to the notes that alnico speakers have, both clean and with gain.

Many people don't know this, but I found it interesting. The V30 was Celestions attemp to make a speaker that sounded like the Blue, but could handle more power and had more bass. Once broken in, I can at least finally start to believe that. Yes, big differences, but now at least I can hear some similarity.

The very best tone I ever got out of a speaker cab (this was with my old Two-Rock) was through a late 60s or early 70s Marshall 4x12. The thing had the original speakers, obviously well broken-in, and it was f#$%ing MAGIC.

This was about 2003 or 2004, and I still haven’t got that sound out of my head.

The V-30s on my PRS cabs have broken in, since I’ve had them for 3-4 years. The Mesa Black Shadows (Celestion 80s made OEM for Mesa) that came with my combo Lone Star are finally sounding good after about two and a half years.

What I like about the Celestion Blues is that the alnico magnets seem to make new speakers sound better than ceramic magnets make new speakers sound (or maybe I just like alnico speakers; I’ve had several). As Sergio might say, this is a ‘cartoon theory’, but it seems to be true in my experience, and I have zero idea why that might be!

However, unless I somehow acquire a Vox-style amp, I have no need for Celestion Blues, though I might get a cab loaded with Celestion Cream 90s to try with my current amps just for grins and giggles.

Still makes me laugh that you guys all rave about speakers made by a company about 30 miles from where I was born!

Truly amazing!

I'm lucky in the fact my wife normally works on Saturdays and that's my crank day. Amazing how much better they sound when you get to crank it.

Back