Modified Monday

I'll never understand why some people insist upon ruining their guitars with modifications :iamconfused: ... The negative effects on resale value alone is enough for me to keep all of my PRS stock from the factory as Paul intended!

If you want to tinker with pickups or something just get a kit guitar or a partscaster to mess around with. Once you break that first solder joint or install a TRC with a non-factory spec screw the guitar is worthless... you might even scratch something.

Maybe some of us don't buy guitars with the intention of ever selling them?

Modding guitars is half the fun. Why should one be limited to 'stock' options when discovering ones tones?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc

I'll never understand why some people insist upon ruining their guitars with modifications
iamconfused.gif
... The negative effects on resale value alone is enough for me to keep all of my PRS stock from the factory as Paul intended!

If you want to tinker with pickups or something just get a kit guitar or a partscaster to mess around with. Once you break that first solder joint or install a TRC with a non-factory spec screw the guitar is worthless... you might even scratch something

Maybe some of us don't buy guitars with the intention of ever selling them?

Modding guitars is half the fun. Why should one be limited to 'stock' options when discovering ones tones?

I fear you missed that this statement was DRIPPING with sarcasm. Just go back and look at some of his mods. The only guy I "know" that would cover a guitar in something that was meant for a purse!

I fear you missed that this statement was DRIPPING with sarcasm. Just go back and look at some of his mods. The only guy I "know" that would cover a guitar in something that was meant for a purse!

Just caught up with the thread and i have to laugh at how bad i missed that one!! hahaha
apologies!

Here is my modder. There is a 1997 purple McCarty on flea bay for about $1,200. Dents, scratches, tuners changed to schallers, a few hunks out of tieback of the body, etc. Electronics look all original and the top seems in decent shape. Would you low ball it and use it as a fixer upper? Say $700? I know it will not be worth anything but have you every had experience with such deals? My other two PRS's are mint so this would be the definite step child. What do you think?

I just kind of did it because I only had the one resistor instead of two. Totally a necessity is the mother of invention kind of thing. So, I said, well, this might be cool or maybe it won't be, let's try it.

Anyway, I was playing it at lunch and wasn't writing any riffs worth a damn so I went ahead and recorded something that illustrates the difference here. This is through my line 6 pocket pod on sort of a light crunch kind of setting. Bridge humbucker, full 1st and then the funky split coil thing second, just all in one take.

https://soundcloud.com/john-beef/miracomparison

You're right, totally got it's own thing going on there, I like it!

I'm falling into the mod- mode now. My core Custom 24 and Vela will stay stock but I got a Tremonti SE for cheap (actually it's the least I've paid for any guitar I own) and it's going to get changed around a bit. I already have new electronics coming for it along with a new nut. I'll probably change out the tuners and pickups at some point. Who knows, maybe it'll even get a custom paint job sometime.

Since I'm waiting for the neck and trem on the "Somebody By Me This" project I figured I'd make a couple of upgrades to the Bernie.

Before:
20150824_111858_zpstsyiguly.jpg

After:
20150824_133250_zps5acpghbq.jpg

20150824_144151_zpsd5qwbnqk.jpg

A set of Phase III tuners. Not that there was anything wrong with the "K" style. I'm just lazy when it comes to changing strings. Also dropped in a matched set of Bare Knuckle Abraxas pick ups. Those things sound great in this guitar!

Looks great! The Bernie is a great guitar but it always cries out for covered pups!

I think it just gives the guitar a very classic and finished look. Imagine the look if you reversed the neck pickup ala Peter Green / Gary Moore??? The white bobbin thing was also a mistake. They ran out of black ones and Gibson said…aww just use the white ones, no-one will ever take the covers off….ooops….

I love the old CE 22's with the dragons for the same reason, just looks old school. The pickups also just look bigger and more industrial for some reason.

BTW - Excellent enhancements. Looks stunning.

I think it just gives the guitar a very classic and finished look. Imagine the look if you reversed the neck pickup ala Peter Green / Gary Moore??? The white bobbin thing was also a mistake. They ran out of black ones and Gibson said…aww just use the white ones, no-one will ever take the covers off….ooops….

I love the old CE 22's with the dragons for the same reason, just looks old school. The pickups also just look bigger and more industrial for some reason.

BTW - Excellent enhancements. Looks stunning.

thanks! I've never really bonded with an LP, but I don't like them with uncovered pick ups either. Just something about that body shape, I guess. I don't have a problem with uncovered pu's in other guitars though. I have them both ways. Just prefer the look on this one covered. Maybe it's the finish...idk.

Last edited:
I'd probably end up just like bodia's and yours. Seriously you two have the ones that make me drool.

Better yet, let me plant the seed.....Bernie was a member of Whitesnake...how about a snake-skin finished Bernie? Boo-yah....the gauntlet has been dropped!

Mods to CU24

So I've done a few things to my new CU24.
- replaced the stock truss cover with one I made from Bolivian rosewood. I might make a different one out of ebony to match the pickup covers.
- put in Zhangbucker pickups. I like the 85/15s and will likely keep them, but the Zhangs have a little something extra.
- but I liked the way the 85/15s fit the ring really well. I thought "Hey, one of my basses has wood covers on the pickups. Why don't I make some?" So some ebony veneer and carbon fiber and epoxy, and voila. No gaps against the ring.
- the rings are cocobolo, purchased from Fleabay.
- I made some new knobs. The ones in the picture are from a maple burl, bleached and then dyed. There is a piece of purple wire embedded in it instead of numbers...at full off, the wire is next to the body. At full on, it is near the top of the knob. Easy to see at a glance where the control is set. I also made a set of ebony knobs at the same time...still trying to figure out which I prefer on this guitar.

(This thread might be more interesting with photos, but I can't seem to get links from Box.com to work here. Any hints? I read through this
http://prsguitars.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments
but I don't see what they're describing in that. EDIT: I think this has to do with whether the host uses https: versus standard http:.)

20150905_140009.jpg

20150905_135955.jpg

Last edited:
[ i m g ] <URL of image> [ / i m g ]
...without the spaces.

(I would love to see pics, so if you want to just post the links, I can embed them into one of my posts for you.)

EDIT -- I take that back, I've looked at the link in your test post, and I can't get it. Best I could do is:

box link

Last edited:
Back