Lookin' forward to May 20th! NEW CLAPTON!

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
New Clapton out on May 20th. He teamed up with Glyn Johns on this one. I don't believe they've worked together since "Slowhand". Back to the 70s sound perhaps? First single certainly has a J.J. Cale feel to it. I can dig it!

Based on recent EC CD's - I would guess that the music on this CD will be "all over the place". To me at least, it seems like EC has decided that he will just play whatever he feels like in whatever style he thinks is appropriate. He also tends to use "hired guns" whenever it suits him (example - Derek Trucks). When you have the $ and fame that he has - One can take that approach.

With that said, I will be one of the 1st in line to buy it.

Based on recent EC CD's - I would guess that the music on this CD will be "all over the place". To me at least, it seems like EC has decided that he will just play whatever he feels like in whatever style he thinks is appropriate. He also tends to use "hired guns" whenever it suits him (example - Derek Trucks). When you have the $ and fame that he has - One can take that approach.

With that said, I will be one of the 1st in line to buy it.
Totally agree with everything you said. I really wish he would do more "old style" EC, or another ripping blues CD. At this point though, I'm just happy to have more EC. I'll listen to whatever he puts out and like it.

Let's compare notes after the CD comes out. In the meantime our band has decided it needs a new reggae song & you will never guess what tune we have selected - Further on Down the Road - off of the EC recent Old Sock CD. I great example of EC playing what he wants the way he feels like playing it. He did this song many years ago and it really rocked. Now a mellow reggae song. Go figure.....

This song sure does. The latest Rolling Stone has a review - Three-and-a-half stars. Their review calls this release his best work of the 21st century. Apparently, Glyn was able to coax some of the "old Eric" out of him. Looking forward to the 20th.

Let's compare notes after the CD comes out. In the meantime our band has decided it needs a new reggae song & you will never guess what tune we have selected - Further on Down the Road - off of the EC recent Old Sock CD. I great example of EC playing what he wants the way he feels like playing it. He did this song many years ago and it really rocked. Now a mellow reggae song. Go figure.....

My favourite Clapton song is "Further On Down the Road" from The Last Waltz by The Band. Eric and Robbie have quite a go at it. Have never heard it done reggae style. Will have to check it out. It's a fabulous album with all kinds of special quests.

And here's something you don't see every day. A 1988 Eric Clapton Signature Stratocaster in Pewter, Autographed by Clapton himself in 1990 while on tour in Northern California that year, and then won, by me, on October 14, 1992 as the winner of the Eric Clapton Action Campaign Contest(that was in a Summer Guitar Player Issue) conducted by Fender Musical Instruments, Scottsdale, Arizona. It's the ONLY one I've ever seen and I have the winner's letter signed by Jack Shelton, Sr.V.P.Marketing.

And here's something you don't see every day. A 1988 Eric Clapton Signature Stratocaster in Pewter, Autographed by Clapton himself in 1990 while on tour in Northern California that year, and then won, by me, on October 14, 1992 as the winner of the Eric Clapton Action Campaign Contest(that was in a Summer Guitar Player Issue) conducted by Fender Musical Instruments, Scottsdale, Arizona. It's the ONLY one I've ever seen and I have the winner's letter signed by Jack Shelton, Sr.V.P.Marketing.

Dude, that is cool as hell! I had an '88 in 7 Up Green. Sure do miss that one.

Half way through the first listen. It's definitely latter day Clapton. A little blusier and "raw" perhaps. I dig it. More so than anything else this century, I think. At least his last couple. Not that I dislike them, but this is better (IMO). I'd like to know who Angelo Mysterioso is on "I Will Be There." If I recall correctly, he and George Harrison used to use that pseudonym way back in the day when they're names couldn't be listed in the credits due to legal issues (i.e. someone's record company, etc wasn't in favor of there real name being used).

I watched the special live Friday. The only piece of gear that really surprised me were the 'Beats' headphones he was wearing during tracking. Of all the highest grade headphones available in the world, at any price to Eric and Glyn, these were chosen for studio recording? Not to get completely off track here, but I'd like to read others opinions on their choice.

That is freaking cool!

As to the new album, I love the playing and production values. The music's good, but I think the lyrics are a bit...I dunno. Lazy? But that will not stop me from buying the HDTracks version of course.

Because I love me some Clapton.

Back