LEAST Favorite Guitar Color

what is your LEAST favorite guitar color?

• black, or some shade of grey or charcoal

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • white, including offwhite, cream

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • blue (like sergio's eyes)

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • green

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • purple, lilac, iris

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • red, pink

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • yellow, including clownburst

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • orange

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • brown, tan (including tobacco burst, mccarty burst)

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters
Seems everyone's gotta dislike something!

I have a Music Man Sledge bass that was spec'd by Tony Levin in flip-flop silvery paint. Flip-flop paint reminds me of those '50s and '60s "3D" graphics with a plastic surface that came in some toys or comic books and changed the picture a little when you turned it at an angle.

I don't understand the appeal. Bought it anyway because it sounds and plays the business.

I like all the PRS colors, but probably wouldn't buy a 'satin' finished guitar unless the tone gave me a guitar boner.

Didn't PRS once say the "Charcoal Grey" was where "Vintage Yellow goes to die"?

Meaning, if a guitar was slated to be vintage yellow and it didn't take the stain well, the over-stained it with Charcoal Gray...
I love both finishes, and have one of each, so I'm good with it, but I'm not seeing a yellow anything in my charcoal DGT - Gretz ordered it in charcoal, so my guess is it started out that way.

Not that I know a thing about all this. BTW. But these two certainly look different enough that I’m not seeing one covered up by the other. I would think if it was yellow first, I'd see some hint of yellow stain under the lighter parts of the finish, right?

DGT in Charcoal:

KDPJPqq.jpg

CU 24 in Vintage Yelllow:

81aB0Cr.jpg

BTW, I think these guitars are awfully cute. ;)

I haven't voted in either thread simply because you combined colors that shouldn't be combined
for example I love red guitars and own 3 but I would never own a pink guitar
Also I am no fan of boring black however I wouldn't mind a charcoal Cherry Burst
and clown burst aint necessarily yellow

dude! overkill, man!
Sorry, first image that came up in my search! I did not spend the time to put it together, but I did like the clown example at the end ;~)) I wrapped it up in a spoiler for the sensitive types!! I think if you edit your reply and re-quote my post, it will get rid of the image there and put in the spoiler button!!!

Sorry, first image that came up in my search! I did not spend the time to put it together, but I did like the clown example at the end ;~)) I wrapped it up in a spoiler for the sensitive types!! I think if you edit your reply and re-quote my post, it will get rid of the image there and put in the spoiler button!!!

I see what you did there and I get it. Much appreciated for the spoiler button. Unfortunately I saw it and I am scarred

I know I've commented already but I didn't get a chance to really read the comments and check out the results.

I was very surprised to see natural/brown/tan/bursts as the third most disliked. I'm a fan of Fender's 3 tone burst personally, maybe it's because my first guitar (well the first I bought with my own money) was a sunburst strat, it just feels right for a strat.

I dig Clownburst on a Les Paul, not sure why. As 3 tone sunburst is natural for Fender Strats, clownburst and tea burst feel natural for les pauls.

Tramps Green is interestin, it's almost like a sewerage green. And yet.... I'm not opposed to it.

Personally, I love weird yellows, pinks and greens though. I even bought the Pacific Peach Jazzmaster (We love Fender here!)

Another favorite of mine is the Goo Yellow or as the kids call it "PooPoo Diarrhea Green!" Ibanez YY10 which actually glows in the dark.

I think PRS' Eriza Verdeburst is one of the most beautiful colors I've ever seen on a guitar pallette. PRS really knows how to mix colors and get those sand bottle art tones into a guitar pallette. Impressive stuff really.

But all that said, I like for my guitars to stand out a d make a statement and while some of them look ugly in perfect lighting (basic house lighting), you must remember that stage lighting is imperfect lighting where the color of your instrument drastically changes for the duration of your set. Even moreover if you have something like a mirror pickguard. The colors pop around 250% difference possibility in the spectrum. It also helps if you compliment the guitars colors with an outfit to wear. Just don't match everything because that will look silly :p

I just don't really like Black and black/gray instruments are the only color where the lighting rule doesn't apply because it doesn't impede the lighting. I don't own one black guitar asides from a Squier strat with a Rosewood neck (it hasn't been strung or used in years) and I feel like black or gray finishes is lifeless (in most cases).

That's just me though....

Back