Last night

gush

Where is that speedo pic
Last night after engaging in threads about amps, cabs and speakers I got the itch to play.

As I've mentioned many times I have 5815LT pickups in an older McCarty and decided to play that one. I've also mentioned many times that I have several 4x12 cabs, one of them being 1960a with g12-65 celestions that I haven't played much.

I picked up a weber attenuator a while back and have grown to like it.
Switchable 4,8 and 16 ohm. Has a bypass switch and 3 position high cut switch.

Since wife was home I opted for the weber and plugged G12-65 cab into jcm800 studio head and grabbed the McCarty.

I think I had master on 9 and gain on 4-5 or so. Neck pickup is flush with rings but bridge pickup is set higher than I normally have it. Straight in, no comp no dirt pedal no delay.....straight in.

Sounded fantastic! I played for a couple hours at least. Really had the urge to throw i mic at it and lay down some tracks on a piece of music I've been sitting on but figured wife would want to go to bed too soon to make it worth the effort.

I just can't say enough good things about neck and middle position tones these LTs produce. Super thick, super rich. Neck has this weird softness which adds to the pleasure. Not sure how else to explain it?

Bridge pickup is maybe the weak link in this whole equation although it's coming around. Definitely have it higher than I normally run a bridge pickup but I see pics of all these 594s that are set up the same way so........

Did play my mt15 for a while yesterday morning. Not sure about it yet. The gain channel tones are too sharp or square sounding???? Same thoughts I get when I try a prs with hfs pickup, needs to soften up or something? Not 100% sure how to explain it correctly.

Clean channel i find interesting. Will try some dirt pedals through it and see how it goes.

Don't have any plans today till 5:00 so I think I'll play around with jcm800/g12-65/McCarty equation and see if I feel the same way today.

Next week is Vegas..........

I'm the opposite opinion on the pickups. I haven't had the McCarty long enough to get really acquainted with all of the nuances, but my Custom 24 is far more subdued on the neck pickup. And yes, different guitar and pups, and different setup too. The neck is livelier with the new amp as well but I have yet to get deeper into the coil splits on either guitar to see what comes of it.
I'd continue to experiment some and just see if you can unlock a bit more from it.

Love it! Ya know, a 59/09 would be a great combo with the LT in the neck.
You are correct Sir! I happen to have one....or four.......

I did pick up a 5708 bridge only because I keep reading how this is such a great pickup. I'm going to keep working with the LT bridge but If I throw in the towel I'll give the 5708 a fair shake.

I'm the opposite opinion on the pickups. I haven't had the McCarty long enough to get really acquainted with all of the nuances, but my Custom 24 is far more subdued on the neck pickup. And yes, different guitar and pups, and different setup too. The neck is livelier with the new amp as well but I have yet to get deeper into the coil splits on either guitar to see what comes of it.
I'd continue to experiment some and just see if you can unlock a bit more from it.
I'm in the camp LT neck is fantastic. The bridge is nice, but the neck is the allstar. Split LT neck is arguably the best I have, a sweet and beautiful tone.

Last night after engaging in threads about amps, cabs and speakers I got the itch to play.

As I've mentioned many times I have 5815LT pickups in an older McCarty and decided to play that one. I've also mentioned many times that I have several 4x12 cabs, one of them being 1960a with g12-65 celestions that I haven't played much.

I picked up a weber attenuator a while back and have grown to like it.
Switchable 4,8 and 16 ohm. Has a bypass switch and 3 position high cut switch.

Since wife was home I opted for the weber and plugged G12-65 cab into jcm800 studio head and grabbed the McCarty.

I think I had master on 9 and gain on 4-5 or so. Neck pickup is flush with rings but bridge pickup is set higher than I normally have it. Straight in, no comp no dirt pedal no delay.....straight in.

Sounded fantastic! I played for a couple hours at least. Really had the urge to throw i mic at it and lay down some tracks on a piece of music I've been sitting on but figured wife would want to go to bed too soon to make it worth the effort.

I just can't say enough good things about neck and middle position tones these LTs produce. Super thick, super rich. Neck has this weird softness which adds to the pleasure. Not sure how else to explain it?

Bridge pickup is maybe the weak link in this whole equation although it's coming around. Definitely have it higher than I normally run a bridge pickup but I see pics of all these 594s that are set up the same way so........

Did play my mt15 for a while yesterday morning. Not sure about it yet. The gain channel tones are too sharp or square sounding???? Same thoughts I get when I try a prs with hfs pickup, needs to soften up or something? Not 100% sure how to explain it correctly.

Clean channel i find interesting. Will try some dirt pedals through it and see how it goes.

Don't have any plans today till 5:00 so I think I'll play around with jcm800/g12-65/McCarty equation and see if I feel the same way today.

Next week is Vegas..........
Glad the pickup change worked for you. It’s tempting to swap out the original pickups in my 2007 McCarty but it is sounding so good right now I am going to stay with them. I played it this morning for an hour or so. Started out with clean tone, just EQ, Compressor, and Delay. Then some crunchier sounds with a Timmy, Jetter Gold 45/100 and a treble booster. And finished with my heavy sound consisting of a Tone Bender, treble booster, compressor and then added my Archer Ikon as a boost for solos. In short the McCarty took everything I threw at it with tremendous poise. What a great guitar.

Glad the pickup change worked for you. It’s tempting to swap out the original pickups in my 2007 McCarty but it is sounding so good right now I am going to stay with them. I played it this morning for an hour or so. Started out with clean tone, just EQ, Compressor, and Delay. Then some crunchier sounds with a Timmy, Jetter Gold 45/100 and a treble booster. And finished with my heavy sound consisting of a Tone Bender, treble booster, compressor and then added my Archer Ikon as a boost for solos. In short the McCarty took everything I threw at it with tremendous poise. What a great guitar.
My McCarty has had the most PU swaps of all the guitars I've ever owned.

I think the 1st swap was HFS.....then Gibson 500t. Then 5909 set (sounded killer for the stuff I was doing at the time) then HFS/VB for low tuning. M set for better low tuning tones. Back up to Eb. 8515 set. 8515/5909. 8515/D1 (squabbin). Starla set. 5310 set squabbin neck covered bridge then 5815LT set

I think the 1st swap was HFS.....then Gibson 500t. Then 5909 set (sounded killer for the stuff I was doing at the time) then HFS/VB for low tuning. M set for better low tuning tones. Back up to Eb. 8515 set. 8515/5909. 8515/D1 (squabbin). Starla set. 5310 set squabbin neck covered bridge then 5815LT set
And I thought I had a problem.. :D

Have you kept the original pickups?

Have you kept the original pickups?
I sold them thinking I'd NEVER put them back in but I purchased a used set a couple years ago because I thought I might try them again.

My tone requirements are completely different these days.

My wife gave this guitar to me as a surprise gift maybe 2005??

It's not going anywhere.

I was going to put them in this summer but I couldn't find them..........turns out they were hiding in my "other" parts drawer.

Life was so much easier when I only had one parts drawer.........

I sold them thinking I'd NEVER put them back in but I purchased a used set a couple years ago because I thought I might try them again.

My tone requirements are completely different these days.

My wife gave this guitar to me as a surprise gift maybe 2005??

It's not going anywhere.

I was going to put them in this summer but I couldn't find them..........turns out they were hiding in my "other" parts drawer.

Life was so much easier when I only had one parts drawer.........
Great story. You must never get rid of it. I have a similar story about mine. My mother gifted me some money from an insurance policy after she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She only had one condition: that I used some of it on a gift for myself that I could remember her by. So I bought that McCarty new in 2007, and it has been a keepsake ever since.

Very
Great story. You must never get rid of it. I have a similar story about mine. My mother gifted me some money from an insurance policy after she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She only had one condition: that I used some of it on a gift for myself that I could remember her by. So I bought that McCarty new in 2007, and it has been a keepsake ever since.
Very nice!!

You are correct Sir! I happen to have one....or four.......

I did pick up a 5708 bridge only because I keep reading how this is such a great pickup. I'm going to keep working with the LT bridge but If I throw in the towel I'll give the 5708 a fair shake.
I personally like the 57/08 bridge pickup far more than the LT bridge pickup that you struggle with. I don’t think they have enough output (aka windings on the coils) to bring out enough mids, punch and snarl. The ultimate hotter bridge PAF imho…..much sweeter than the DGT bridge pickup fwiw…
I’ve put the Duncan style treble bleed cap/resistor setup on both of my guitars with 57/08’s and they clean up well when you turn down your volume pot with no loss of highs. My 594 sounds as punchy as my Stripped 58, just different….I think their 57/08 neck is to hot and someday I’ll change those out to LT’s but they still clean up pretty well when turned down cause of the treble bleed install on the volume pot ….best of luck

Last edited:
Back