Lacquer/varnish damage

michaelcolemanuk

Hi

I have this Custom 24, 10top, 2008, and a couple of years ago, i foolishly left it out, and my toddler son hit it with something. My own fault for leaving a 10top out! So, pics attached of damage, quite gutted. Is there a way to repair this so it looks like it never happened?
Am probably going to the guitar show in Birmingham UK at end of Feb, and will ask a PRS person, but wondered what the experiences/opinion was on here
RvkLGU

A92Z98

As you can see, I'm having absolutely no luck in inserting an image from my flickr, so my profile pic is the picture of the damage

Last edited:
We can't see the photos, but any little nick hurts in the heart. Mine are pretty big and deep, so until I'm ready for a complete refinish, I repaired it with super glue. That's not recommended for the majority of repairs, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to do your own minor finish repairs. Tons of videos out on YouTube on the topic.

I recommend not putting your guitars away completely, just out of reach. My boys grew up with musical instruments being in plain sight and were still in diapers when they started playing on the lot. Fast forward 25+ years and I have 2 accomplished musicians and both currently work in the industry. Kids are a product of their environment and that environment should include your guitars. Just a suggestion. ;)

Last edited:
Try Contacting PRS Europe. I believe there based in Cambridge.
I heard they are setting up a repair department next year.
If you'ved waited this long another year won't hurt and save on shipping
good luck it's worth a go.!!!

I can attest that the PTC will do a top notch job. They did OUTSTANDING work on my 2008 Cu22. It wasn't cheap though.

We can't see the photos, but any little nick hurts in the heart. Mine are pretty big and deep, so until I'm ready for a complete refinish, I repaired it with super glue. That's not recommended for the majority of repairs, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to do your own minor finish repairs. Tons of videos out on YouTube on the topic.

I recommend not putting your guitars away completely, just out of reach. My boys grew up with musical instruments being in plain sight and we're still in diapers when they started playing on the lot. Fast forward 25+ years and I have 2 accomplished musicians and both currently work in the industry. Kids are a product of their environment and that environment should include your guitars. Just a suggestion. ;)

Thanks Boogie. I do agree, not only do i think you're right, but your boys are the proof, and i would rather take the same approach. But then 3 years ago more boys turned up, twins. So haven't touched the guitars for a while, but getting more exposure now. and they love guitars. I'll see what i can do at home, as am not ready to ship my prs to the US.

i appreciate all the replies. and will try following up on all of them, a bit of DIY, then call on PRS to sort out the mess i make!
cheers

i a bit of DIY,

IMHO, I would hold off on a DIY if you have no experience, PTC or the best luthier in your area is my thought, and I've done repairs for years.
Main reason: It's right on the face of the horn, no margin for error as it's in a very noticeable area and any dimple in the surface is going to stand out as much as a color mismatch.
Just my opinion, good luck with it.

Main reason: It's right on the face of the horn, no margin for error as it's in a very noticeable area and any dimple in the surface is going to stand out as much as a color mismatch.
Thoroughly agree. If it was on a perfectly flat surface, you might get acceptable results if you're very careful - but that placement makes it complicated.

Thanks Boogie. I do agree, not only do i think you're right, but your boys are the proof, and i would rather take the same approach.

On the other hand, I've always kept mine cased and safe, and my son has a couple of gold records and is signed to a major label.

I don't think whether you keep your guitars out, or keep them cased, makes any difference as far as kids with talent are concerned. The idea is that they have instruments, and/or access to instruments, learn to use them, and that becomes part of their lives.

If my son's experience is any indication, that is.

[/URL]

Last edited:
Thanks Boogie. I do agree, not only do i think you're right, but your boys are the proof, and i would rather take the same approach. But then 3 years ago more boys turned up, twins. So haven't touched the guitars for a while, but getting more exposure now. and they love guitars. I'll see what i can do at home, as am not ready to ship my prs to the US.
You're preaching to the choir, bro. I was at band practice when Mrs. B went into labor with our first and I didn't play another gig for about 6 years. Three of my guitars have a few scars from kids or dealing with the kids, but they still play and sound great. It's the kind of patina that I don't mind. Both boys have already worked out which ones are their favs so it's easier when it's time to pass them on. They mean as much to them as they do to me. I'm a lucky, lucky guy. And it sounds like you are too. ;) Congrats on the nice family.

Get the pro's to do it. First of all it is on a guitar which you will have to match the blue color stain almost exactly and in a very visible area with a lot of curviness going on there. If it was on a cherry sunburst edge binding, go for it but that color will be hard for a DYI to match. YMMV but my two cents. Also blue stain ages so you want to match the aged stain, not the original color.

I have a couple of dings on the front of my McCarty and a self inflicted one on the lower bout by the cutaway that just missed the Finish but took it off the binding, from a yard away, you cannot even tell. I'm kind of in the same predicament, if I lived on the mainland in Texas still, off it would go to the PRS repair place. However, it's just too far and risky, and I have an excellent guy here. I'm not too worried or obsessed with my knocks, but eventually I would like to get them restored.

Back