Just because...

hurtwoodec

WDn4g4dUgG6HUy6w9
20220128_180344_jmzpjg.jpg

Current PRS stable. I love and gig them all.............

Thanks, have primarily played PRS guitars over the last 20 yrs. Ive had a bunch of Custom 24s and a couple of Swamp Ash Specials (original and narrowfield), a CU22, 2 McCartys. For me, the pictured group of 4 are the keepers.

A 1990 Custom with Dragon 1s
A 2000 McCarty with original McCarty pups (thats a story, been through 4 other sets of pups only to come back to the originals!).
A 2009 DGT nitro
A 2015 Starla S2 with Lollartrons

Very nice collection. Regarding the Lollartrons in your Starla, what can you tell me about them?

Specs, output, sound....anything. I'm asking because I have a Les Paul and I'm considering different pickups for it.

Very nice collection. Regarding the Lollartrons in your Starla, what can you tell me about them?

Specs, output, sound....anything. I'm asking because I have a Les Paul and I'm considering different pickups for it.

Sure, all the specs are on the lollar website. I was after a filtertronish sound ie full flat frequency response and that tron like note definition but I also wanted a bit more punch like a traditional humbucker.

The lollartrons fit the bill to a T. The full frequency range is really cool and kind of addictive. I got this guitar specked that way to play in a church that I attend. So the bigsby tron class a amp dotted eighth thing........

It's a cool thing.

Sure, all the specs are on the lollar website. I was after a filtertronish sound ie full flat frequency response and that tron like note definition but I also wanted a bit more punch like a traditional humbucker.

The lollartrons fit the bill to a T. The full frequency range is really cool and kind of addictive. I got this guitar specked that way to play in a church that I attend. So the bigsby tron class a amp dotted eighth thing........

It's a cool thing.

Thanks for the info. Sounds interesting. I'm looking for pickups for my Les Paul that would get me closer to what I'm getting with my Vela. I know it wouldn't be exact and I wouldn't expect it to. Just want to get closer to that territory. Not full out humbucker mode, but not wimpy either.

With the Vela, the bridge pickup has been described as "Gretsch with a bit of SG thrown in." The neck pickup has a beautiful, warm but clear tone without that blasted low end boom. That's what I'd like to hear from my LP.

Thanks for the info. Sounds interesting. I'm looking for pickups for my Les Paul that would get me closer to what I'm getting with my Vela. I know it wouldn't be exact and I wouldn't expect it to. Just want to get closer to that territory. Not full out humbucker mode, but not wimpy either.

With the Vela, the bridge pickup has been described as "Gretsch with a bit of SG thrown in." The neck pickup has a beautiful, warm but clear tone without that blasted low end boom. That's what I'd like to hear from my LP.

I find they have the aspects of a few pickups that was exactly what I wanted.

The grestch like jangle of a filtertron

Smoother sounding than a traditional paf but maintaining the punch of a "normal" humbucker.

And the full flat and clear frequency response of a filtertron.

WDn4g4dUgG6HUy6w9
20220128_180344_jmzpjg.jpg

Current PRS stable. I love and gig them all.............

Man, that sure is pretty! I've been thinking about putting some Lollartrons in my S2 Starla. How do you like them? Did you just replace the pickups or also redo the wiring?

Part of the pondering is thinking through how I'd want to wire the L-Trons. I just finished a re-wire of my Vela (about to post a thread on that).

(Edit: Oops, nvm, I just saw you answer that question for someone else)

Back