Custom 24 vs Custom 22

frankencat

Guitarded
There was a time when I was all about the Custom 22 and I had several of them. I wouldn’t touch a Custom 24 because of the neck pickup placement. Then I got my Standard 24 S2 and I fell in love with the feel of it and how easy it is to reach high up on the neck. The neck position on the 24 likes a slightly beefier pickup than on the 22 but it depends on the guitar. I especially dig the 24 for slide work. What do y’all think….22 or 24?

Here’s my current stable of 24’s: :)
WZqXgGa.jpg

22 frets for me. But I am, well let’s say I am upper in age than most here. Don’t know what to do with the extra frets. I do prefer the sound of the neck pickup on the 24 though.

Both :)

Love my S2 Standard 24.

I love the position of the neck pickup for two reasons: 1) less mud on the neck pickup when used as a humbucker and 2) only with the 24 fret guitars you get a strat-like tone with the inside coils of each humbucker active.

Yes, the 22 fret guitars offer a fatter neck pickup tone and they also offer a nice tele-like tone with the outside coils of each humbucker active but the strat-like tone of the 24 fret models is not available.

That is why I said both :)

Cheers Stephan

There was a time when I was all about the Custom 22 and I had several of them. I wouldn’t touch a Custom 24 because of the neck pickup placement. Then I got my Standard 24 S2 and I fell in love with the feel of it and how easy it is to reach high up on the neck. The neck position on the 24 likes a slightly beefier pickup than on the 22 but it depends on the guitar. I especially dig the 24 for slide work. What do y’all think….22 or 24?

Here’s my current stable of 24’s: :)
WZqXgGa.jpg
Both! I love both 22 and 24 fret guitars equally well!

As the others, I like both, but for different reasons.

For me 22 fretters are for powerful sounds like singlecuts, and 24 fretters are for articulate sounds like Customs and Miras (I'm still in core mentality). Now I realize that pickups have more to do with the difference in sound than the length of the neck, but that's still the way I see it.

For me the biggest difference on a CU24 is the playing position , it's a longer reach from the body.
Tone wise if anything the neck pickup on a CU24 is easier to get a good sound often clearer sounding , I do love my 22 fret guitars but at times the neck pickup can be too wooly , or dark for chords

I Would Be More Of A 24 Than I Am If They Made Them With Fat Necks. Same With The Tremonti's (Non OG).

I rarely find myself past the 12 so the extra 2 seem like a waste . As a punk/metal rhythm player, most of my “heros” played Les Paul’s so I always gravitate to 22 fret guitars.

For me the biggest difference on a CU24 is the playing position , it's a longer reach from the body.
Tone wise if anything the neck pickup on a CU24 is easier to get a good sound often clearer sounding , I do love my 22 fret guitars but at times the neck pickup can be too wooly , or dark for chords

Ya, I learned long ago that if I want to bring my Custom 24 to play live, I need two of them, because I do not want to switch to a Custom 22 when I'm all wound up in the middle of a set if I break a string (malaural sonic clumsiness may ensue).

Fortunately, I love both, so having two of each is no great burden.

Back