Mods to Custom 22 questions.

Canadian_PRS

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has tried the Seymour Duncan Alpha and Omega set in a Custom 22 (as opposed to the usual 24)? I’m considering the swap but wanted to know people’s experiences first. Original pickups are 58/15TM

Also, I wanted to change the pickup rings to black. I have looked online and there are 3 choices for official PRS parts. Straight rings, slanted , and universal slant. I keep getting mixed info from different retailers too. Should I be getting Universal slant or Straight. This is a 2016 Custom 22 with trem.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has tried the Seymour Duncan Alpha and Omega set in a Custom 22 (as opposed to the usual 24)? I’m considering the swap but wanted to know people’s experiences first. Original pickups are 58/15TM

Also, I wanted to change the pickup rings to black. I have looked online and there are 3 choices for official PRS parts. Straight rings, slanted , and universal slant. I keep getting mixed info from different retailers too. Should I be getting Universal slant or Straight. This is a 2016 Custom 22 with trem.

Thanks in advance!

I did it to my Standard 22

bVLjUEf.jpg

Is that a weird shadow and a crack on that guitar on the lower edge?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

For a Trem go with flat rings. The angled ones are for Stoptails.

I put a set of 57/08s in my CU22. Those are a perfect pairing for me.
I’m guessing that was a straight swap in terms of wiring? If I go with the 4-wire Duncans, I’ll have to do some more wiring research first, from what I’ve read. I’ve seen other threads here on the subject , but overall I’m getting mixed messages across the internet.

I’m guessing that was a straight swap in terms of wiring? If I go with the 4-wire Duncans, I’ll have to do some more wiring research first, from what I’ve read. I’ve seen other threads here on the subject , but overall I’m getting mixed messages across the internet.
Yes it was pretty much a straight swap. All you have to do is map the colors of the Duncan pickup to the PRS pickups. Are you planning big wiring changes like adding more switches? Or just hooking the pickups into the guitar with the same pots and switches it already has?

Yes it was pretty much a straight swap. All you have to do is map the colors of the Duncan pickup to the PRS pickups. Are you planning big wiring changes like adding more switches? Or just hooking the pickups into the guitar with the same pots and switches it already has?
Yeah I’m planning straight swap and keeping wiring options stock. I wasn’t sure if I had to reverse any wires because of polarity issues between brands. I suppose I could do the swap and modify until I like it.

Ok I’ve ordered the Duncans and the pickup rings. Last option….for aesthetic purpose, do I get the Ebony tuner buttons? Would it look good fine with the custom 22 rosewood veneer headstock?

You can test the magnetic polarity of the pickups, both new and old. However, as long as the new pickups are magnetically in phase with each other you should be able to wire them up using the Duncan color codes.

You can test the magnetic polarity of the pickups, both new and old. However, as long as the new pickups are magnetically in phase with each other you should be able to wire them up using the Duncan color codes.
Thanks for the help! I’m essentially trying to make my own Core Holcomb as the chances of getting an actual one are slim to none.

Great Pickups IMO And Always A Solid Choice.

I always go with Ebony tuners if I do black rings.
Ok. I ordered the black rings and Ebony tuner buttons to go with the alpha and omega pickups. I also installed the black Hipshot o-ring vol/tone knobs. Just waiting for the parts to arrive.

Back