It never ends.

Tag

:(

So I walk in to guitar center yesterday because I needed a few things. A new guitar stand, new strings, and a new looper to practice with. This is the GC in Totawa NJ. As we all do, I am just looking around at the different guitars they had, and was surprised to see very few upper end guitars. I picked up a few PRS SE guitars, and I know some guys love them, but they do not agree with my ear or hands so to speak. :iamconfused: Then I notice what used to be the acoustic room. I peered in, and it was like a window into another world! I saw many CS Gibson LPs, a WILD look upper tier Schecter, many CS Fenders, and a few nice PRSs as well. :rock: They have converted it into a "platinum" room, and they are bringing in more and more killer guitars. I am looking around, and what do I see locked in a glass case in the corner of the room? Some kind of CU 22 semi hollow with an F hole, and KILLER chevron flame top. I know I should NOT ask to play it. Right, like thats going to happen. A set of keys and 2 minutes later, and i am playing a PS CU 22 semi hollow with the dreaded wrap around bridge into a fender twin reverb, and its KILLING it. Talk about an inspiring tone? I hate playing guitar in those places, but I was totally inspired. Everything i played came out almost perfect, and its the best i have played in years. Solo blues tunes, standards, even a little Roy Buchanon. The guitar weighed next to nothing, but it had MONSTER low end, and rang like a bell on the top with no harshness anywhere. The salesmans comment.....Damn...that thing is REALLY resonate! (It was not a BS line, you should have heard this thing.) Played a few 59 Historics that sounded great as well, but it jus drove the point home of how killer this PRS sounded. Looking at the guitar and the price was a let down. First, it had a neck that I am not sure of. It looked like IRW, but was the most light, pale brown of any RW I have seen. Ziricote (sp) maybe? The salesman did not know either. The bird inlays and Eagle were nothing more than an outline, and to me, looked cheap and not appealing at all. The neck was also finished, and had a tacky, sticky feel which i have never felt on any PRS. Like some CS Gibsons, it seemed like it was gumming up in my hand. Worse, they said the guitar was new, but it was 2009 and had some slight scratches and a few indentations in the neck. :mad: They also wanted over 8K for it. (The salesman did say he had "room" though.) :laugh: I want that guitar, but I cant have it. Well, I do have a 359 and CS tele I could offer as trade, but the guitar simply was not worth anywhere NEAR 8K. It never ends. That is one HELL of a killer sounding guitar in any case. Sustain, resonance, feel (besides the sticky neck). Anyone know how to find that guitar on line> I tried searching GCs both new and used inventory, but it does not show up. Did I say that guitar sounded unreal? :eek:

Did you snap any iPhone pics by chance? I'd love to see it.

As for the neck, it's unlikely Ziricote, which is typically a very dark walnut-like brown color with an exceptionally tight pore structure, so smooth that it would always be left unfinished. My favorite neck I've played on a PRS guitar is the Ziricote on my PS. Makes Brazilian seem almost rough by comparison.

Tag, you're so right -- it never, ever ends!

The other day I saw a Ted Singlecut with P-90s hanging on the wall at my local GC when I went in to pick up a couple of small recording items. My heart started pounding, my knees started shaking, and I knew I had to get out of there fast!

What really saved me was that the guitar and amp fund are pretty well depleted from recent buys, or I'd have come home with it.

Whenever I go to the music store I take out the picture of my lovely wife and just stare at it. Cures me of GAS real fast. Though she has bought me two guitars and other odds and ends over the years.

I take out the picture of my lovely wife and just stare at it. Cures me of GAS real fast.

I dont have a lovely wife. I have a bitchy girlfriend. :mad:

Now I want the guitar even more because I know it will really piss her off. :rock:

Last edited:
Well, I personally like the outline birds. If the neck feel bothers you, there's always the rosewood treatment of awesomeness!

Now, go piss that girlfriend off! :vroam:

yes... my go to guitar shop (Action Music-Falls Church, VA) and one of the best in customer service for that matter) just got in a half dozen amazing used PRS. A particularly nice transparent red mccarty with soap bars!

Your right tag the other day I walked into Sam Ash for strings.Walked out with an Se one and a used Se Santana.Uh Oh I forgot the strings.

Whenever I go to the music store I take out the picture of my lovely wife and just stare at it. Cures me of GAS real fast. Though she has bought me two guitars and other odds and ends over the years.

I do something similar. I take out a picture of my lovely wife, but I point it at the guitars and say, "I want that, and you can get me that, and I'm going to get one of those..."

If the neck feel bothers you, there's always the rosewood treatment of awesomeness!

Its a finished neck. (Not sure why over what I think is Rosewood, but maybe its not RW) Do they still have some special treatment for finished necks? There is just no way I would pay over 4.5 K for that guitar, and they want over 8. Its as basic as can get. Bare minimum inlays, plain hog back, very nice top though, a wraparound non adjustable bridge, and has scratches and marks, and small dents in the back of the neck. Its also a 2009!!! To bad it sounded so frigging great. :mad: Sometimes I think the plainer the woods, the better the guitar sounds.

Whenever I go to the music store I take out the picture of my lovely wife and just stare at it. Cures me of GAS real fast.

Mike, the good news is that I've seen this kind of thing before.

The bad news is that this strange behavior is so wrong and such an anomaly that there are only two terrifying possibilities:

1. Your wife is a voodoo queen and turned you into a zombie slave; or

2. Aliens took you aboard their spacecraft and implanted a mind control device. The reason you take your wife's picture out when your brain's pleasure centers are aroused by something like new guitars at a store is strictly for their amusement.

I've made a lifelong study of these two possibilities -- and remember, I'm a doctor (of law!). So here's what to do:

a. To see if you have, in fact, become a zombie, check the local death records since you first noticed these symptoms. If you find your death record, chances are you're a zombie. You can further test this by pinching yourself to see if skin around the pinched area becomes loose and falls off. Also, think about whether you find yourself thinking, "Brains...yum!" If any of these things happens, chances are you're a zombie. There may not be a cure for this, but at least it will explain what happens in guitar stores.

b. If you're not a zombie, you're being controlled by aliens. Fortunately, there is a way to make them go away!

It is well known that the aliens who have implanted control devices into your brain are able to use your eyes as lenses that they can look through to see what you're looking at. Since you'll never find the implanted device, nor will any medical professional, because the devices use alien invisible nanotechnology, what you have to do is make them not want to mess around with your brain.

Look at really awful stuff. Instead of looking at PRS guitars, go look at really boring, crummy guitars. Look at ugly women instead of pretty ones. Spend a lot of time looking at your sock drawer. Stare at the toilet a lot. You want to bore them or disgust them so they'll move on to someone else and leave you alone. Then you can enjoy guitar shopping once again! ;)

Last edited:
you've got some pretty nice guitars. If it wasnt just "new guitar fever" talking and it really sounded as good as you say then maybe its completely worth the snag.

:mad: Sometimes I think the plainer the woods, the better the guitar sounds.

I seem to be coming to the same conclusions….on another note, if the guitar is blowing your mind, just get it. You'll make up the perceived "loss" in no time by the shortfalls of buying and selling.

On subverting the alien mind control implants - You could just read Finnegans Wake.

On its never ending - No, but I'll guess there are also a lot of mind blowing guitars for considerably less than $8,000.

I'm lucky I live in canada lol.......we have long and Mcquade . No guitar centre lol......

Yesterday I went in with my daughter . She tried out a new guitar and that will be her birthday present . I've got a prs on order.........

Outline inlay, like this?

ydurGMs.jpg

Outline inlay, like this?

ydurGMs.jpg

From that picture, that looks like "dirt" or "clay" birds. This just had outlines with the fretboard showing through the middle. (Maybe that one does as well?)

I sold the "good" ones and kept the old work horses, not that any of the work horses would have brought in more than a couple of hundred anyway. On a good day.
With that said I'm looking at a few more PRS giitars.

Back