Is relic'ing a fad, or is it here to stay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elliot, Sep 11, 2017.

1. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Rah rah ah ah ah!

What kind of knucklehead would relic a guitar? :eek::oops::rolleyes::p

Mike Duncan likes this.
  2. rugerpc

rugerpc A♥ hoards guitars ♥A

You don't have ANY mirrors in your house???

3. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Rah rah ah ah ah!

God, you've seen me... why would I?

4. DCDetector

DCDetector New Member

I agree with who said I don't mind good "honest" relic guitars. I know I've put some of my guitars through hell and back so showing some wear is expected. I'm not proud of every ding or dent, but it happens. But to intentionally beat the crap out of a perfectly good guitar just seem bazaar.

5. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

They age the nuts too! Do they make them look like saggy elbow skin!!:confused::confused:

6. alantig

alantig Santana-free since '63!

Sergio doesn't cast a reflection...

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  7. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

More like flabby arms on an old lady

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  8. Elliot

Elliot Still a New Member

Is any of that aesthetic judgement based on your prior knowledge of slash's guitars? I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just playing the cynic to see if it changes anything: I mean, most people know that slash only uses the same les Pauls over and over. I've never heard of him playing anything but genuinely old stuff. Maybe some new ones from Gibson here and there but not relic'ed. Whereas fortus (never heard of him but just looked at a bunch of pictures) looks like he uses a ton of different guitars. Probably doesn't use anything enough to get a medium/heavy relic look.

Again, not disagreeing, just playing a little devil's advocate. If you didn't necessarily know the history of either guitarist/their guitars, would you be able to make that judgement?

9. Parralax view

Parralax view New Member

While The Hansard guitar seems a true relic, I would attribute it more to bad technique and IDGAF. I don't know a soul, and especially not me, that would intentionally, with abandon destroy a guitar in that fashion. Ah, hell, play what you want, treat it as you will, why in the end should it make any difference to anyone else?? My guitars are pristine, Why?? because most if not all of them have been on stage, but so long ago that they are house queens now and all they see is some patio playing and the micro cloth....The setting plays as much into relic as the actual guitar itself.

10. Ovibos

Ovibos No, YOU'RE a New Member!

All good, man.

I honestly didn't think about how old Slash's were. It was mostly just glaring with Fortus'.

Slash did seem to be playing a new, minty sig Firebird a little (see other places for commentary on if this is a cash grab by big G). Interestingly, his old BC Riches didn't seem too beat up.

11. Stevie F

Stevie F New Member

Or just buy Ernie Balls

12. Elliot

Elliot Still a New Member

That answers my question. I think if it were me, I would have made the same judgement as you. I do it all the time with really beat up guitars. You see guys like slash with truly old guitars. The natural wear is nowhere near what you see on some of the custom shop relic'd fenders. Some players do really beat up their gear (obviously, a few come to mind) but not most.

But, If I didn't know anything about slash and saw one of his more worn les Pauls, I might have thought it was a relic too.

Ovibos likes this.