Is relic'ing a fad, or is it here to stay? (Spoiler: not a fad, yes here to stay, but come chat)

So, just like everything else, its a business, folks...I have asked PRSh the following 2 questions, albeit a few years back...Will you ever do a Guitar with a Floyd Rose?? (I was glad he said no to this one...), and Will you start roughing up (relicing) bodies...and got pretty strong "No way" to both questions. Just goes to show, if its requested enough, and it sells, they'll make it. And this is not meant as negative in any way, just pointing out the business end of things.

It's like asking Paul "why don't you still make and sell (whatever model has been dropped)?" And Paul always responds with, "it doesn't sell...you all don't buy them."

Where there's a will, there's a way....until there is no interest.

field-of-dreams-300x187.jpg

Well Relics have been around for a couple decades. Sales of them are still growing on my end. It is a long fad if it is one.
Look at you, with your actual data.

Non-facetious question: what's the market like for used relics?
Are they all in "player's condition?"
Is there such a thing as a "mint" relic?

Say what you want but they're a huge portion of Fender's Custom Shop sales.

No, no.... you really don’t want me to say what I want. I almost got kicked out of the forum the last time I barely started to share my feelings on this topic. :cool: (Not really, but I probably made a few “ignore” lists. :p).

Imagine a brand new car that's a copy of a '67 Buick Electra 225; dented, rusty, maybe has a couple of hubcaps missing, worn tires (some are whitewall tires, some aren't, and one's a snow tire), springs that don't work, a cracked windshield, primer over body filler in spots, needs a new muffler, has one headlight that works, a cracked taillight, a rear window where the glass is missing so it's a piece of Visqueen duck taped on, and a ripped up interior with a warped dashboard and a missing radio with the hookup wires dangling out.

And it comes with a $50,000 price tag and is something of a status symbol.

Car companies would clean up.

Well, I guess it'd go with my new $2,000 '76 reissue relic'd leisure suit that has coffee stains, dirt, some missing buttons, and bell bottom pants that are too short. ;)

Humans are posers. It's part of the DNA.
Oh, that's a thing man. Check out ICON - they make 100k reliced broncos and stuff. If you ever watch cars shows, it's a very in thing at the moment. I think it's nuts, personally.

I have always found them to be pretty lame

Although that said I have played a few relic'd fenders and found that they felt really nice. Something about the finished on the neck and the feel of it under your arm with your eye closed. They just look terrible. If you play enough old guitars with real damage and wear you come to find the pretend ones just aren't the same. If you like it and that's your thing, great. I thought better of them when they were just a curiosity from smaller builders and repairers.

In terms of it being a fad, yeah I think it peaked some years ago.

Oh, that's a thing man. Check out ICON - they make 100k reliced broncos and stuff. If you ever watch cars shows, it's a very in thing at the moment. I think it's nuts, personally.
In fairness, the relicing on guitars isn't affecting their actual playability, unlike what Les described. One could even argue that properly relicing a guitar could improve the playability. I'm not a car guy so I'm not familiar with what you describe, so maybe it's all cosmetic rather than actual damage like Les described.

Back