Interesting OD Pedal for the DG30

László

Too Many Notes
The DG30 is so different from other amps I have had that I decided to try an unusual pedal with it - the Fulltone Secret Freq.

This is an OD pedal that seems to me to be similar in some ways to an OCD, only with a midrange control that adds a cocked wah sound, in other words, a midrange filter that can be turned off completely, or rolled up in amplitude to be more exaggerated to make, say, a solo stand out more in a mix.

What's cool is that it doesn't attenuate the high and low frequencies like a cocked wah, so it's merely adding additional midrange.

It's also got a very effective treble control that can roll off the treble; the control is simply a "cut" control, which is definitely helpful when the mids are boosted so the thing doesn't tear your ears off. And of course, it has the typical volume and gain knobs. So it's very simple to use.

Set like I have it in the picture, I get a nice amount of gain that sounds good with the DG amp, a light boost in the midrange, and it has a good balance with the natural sound of the amp. I think I like it a little better than the FD3 with this particular amp.

Anyone else tried one? It's a pretty cool pedal. Sounds good with my HXDA, too, but really a natural with the DG30.

Ooooo! I've been secretly pining for that pedal. It is supposed to be a quick way to the Tom Scholz school of guitar Tom Foolery. :biggrin: Have you tried cranking it up? Keep the tone reports coming...inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

Ooooo! I've been secretly pining for that pedal. It is supposed to be a quick way to the Tom Scholz school of guitar Tom Foolery. :biggrin: Have you tried cranking it up? Keep the tone reports coming...inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

While I don't own any dirt pedals I listen to plenty of reviews amd always dig the Fulltone stuff.

Boogie I can't imagine you need anything except that clone pedal you built. I could see running two of those actually. That thing was good.

Cool! You can be a Secret Freq secret freak! Heheh!

Anyway, experimenting and will get back to this thread with tone reports. It's a cool pedal.

Cool! You can be a Secret Freq secret freak! Heheh!
Ack! That pun was so sharp it stabbed me through my phone.

Very interested in hearing more reports!

Speaking of dirt pedals, I saw a local band playing yesterday, and one of the guitarists had two Ibanez tube screamers, an original/reissue and one of the "new" versions (can't remember model #s off hand). One was good for low-level dirt, and then the second was engaged for double-dirt true screaming. I had not seen two-of-the-same pedals in a row, usually an OD and then a distortion pedal... I wonder how this would work for other pedals? Including the one you are playing with...

Ack! That pun was so sharp it stabbed me through my phone.

Very interested in hearing more reports!

Speaking of dirt pedals, I saw a local band playing yesterday, and one of the guitarists had two Ibanez tube screamers, an original/reissue and one of the "new" versions (can't remember model #s off hand). One was good for low-level dirt, and then the second was engaged for double-dirt true screaming. I had not seen two-of-the-same pedals in a row, usually an OD and then a distortion pedal... I wonder how this would work for other pedals? Including the one you are playing with...

I've gone Boost>OD>Fuzz for some insane sounds, but never two of the same. Not that it's a bad idea, just haven't ever had two of the same pedals at once in my studio.

I know some players who have two of the same pedal but generally they use one at a time. So it's an interesting concept.

The Secret Freq is on my list to try....I think I've tried all of Fulltones other offerings.

What I liked about that vocal midrange thing is the old Boston sound. Tom Scholz was one of my many heroes and the fact he kinda created a band (and a good one) around a sound he came up on his own with his engineering background is pretty cool. It's nasally in a cool way.

It was a bit of an accident, but I have the ability to stack the two Little Green Wonder pedals. The expression pedal allows me to change the volume of the modded LGW on the left. This gives me a great range of grit to dirt and provide a heck of a solo boost.

PBr3_zpsab0def60.jpg

Boogie I can't imagine you need anything except that clone pedal you built. I could see running two of those actually. That thing was good.
Thanks bud. Yeah, I have to admit that little box is good with my rig. But instead of two, I use a Kalamazoo Gold which is also very Klon-ish. Change the tone for something a little brighter and it not only sounds good by itself, but stacks with the Monster and loves the EP Booster to boot. With the DGT that combo yields about 5,346 different variations...give or take a couple. ;)

Theres some really tasty stuff on that board, Mike. :cool:

Back