If you could Private Stock

I've been thinking about posting one of these but was worried I wouldn't get interest or that I couldn't word it right...

Here is mine:
Some kind of high figured but a little bit subtle quilt on a DC 594 with a Santana headstock and one of the new soaring PS eagles. Abalone eagle and inlays, John Mann locking vintage-style gotoh tuners.

I want a light mccarty burst or vintage yellow, or a lightly bursted natural finish. Korina or mahogany body, hog neck, lighter rosewood board (maybe Brazilian; not sure if I want to feed into the Brazilian rosewood board hype.) hybrid hardware, 58/15 LT in the neck and 58/15 in the bridge.

Thanks for this.

Explorer body shape like the ZZ Top guitar!!!!
images

Last edited:
Hmm, so many intriguing options. My first thought for a personalized build would be a 594 w/Koa top and body, RW neck & Ziricote board. Preferably a little bling for the inlays but not necessarily a full tree of life motif or anything too busy (maybe something like an Artist III). I could go half a dozen ways with pickup combinations and still be happy. Hybrid hardware. What am I forgetting?

WA Paul's McCarty is one of my favorite examples from this forum, though, same with sloanthebone's trem-equipped 594 (scroll down slightly).

So that implies the question....since a singe cut hollowbody is out of the core lineup now is it still a PS option? What about other discontinued shapes?
(Fixed that for you)

Yes, absolutely; most of them.

I have multiple guitars that I fantasize about doing, but the one I keep coming back to most frequently -- and will therefore probably be the one that I actually do -- is a 7-string singlecut archtop.

Not sure about the scale length. I'm liking 666mm, but have to actually try one (either a dragonfly something 666 or the ESP LTD ZH7, which has a 26.5" scale length, which is close) before I decide (otherwise will probably stick with 25.5" or even 25"...possibly even 24.594", since I'm used to 24.7").

I'm not a jazzer nor a gypsy (although I am of Russian heritage), but more of a progger, so the pickup selection will be more along the lines of the Fishman Fluence Tosin Abasi set (whose defining characteristic is a multitude of tones) or a Benedetto B-7 and a Seymour Duncan JB7.

Pretty sure about the colours: crossfade of off-blacks, from dark-forest-green-blue (evergreen/fir) to dark-blue-purple (eggplant/Elvis' hair) to midnight-wine/dark-red-purple/Côtes du Rhône. Either that or a Fuchsia/Magenta/Salmon dragon's breath.

Not sure about the top, but it will probably be maple like the March GOTM that Les is thinking about. Although I like spruce.

Pretty sure it will be a maple neck, though.

Not sure about the f-hole, though, I'd probably want something a little different, like Samantha Fish's f-hole.

Last edited:
I would do an SC594 Semi Hollow with F hole
Rosewood neck, probably a brazzy board with birds.
58/15LT neck and 58/15 bridge.
Mahogany body
Quilt maple top in a sandstorm type finish but with less yellow and a darker bottom and lighter top.

this finish:
3a6e6b6c89a94aaacc1df090dbf203c0.jpg

with this color scheme:
guinness-007.jpg

So that begs the question....since a singe cult hollowbody is out of the core lineup now is it still a PS option? What about other discontinued shapes?

The one I linked is PRS' recently introduced PS jazz box.

It's in the PS lineup, and was never available as a Core model.

Also, I have no idea why it appeals to me, since I'm not a jazzer.

I have thought of this several times and have a few ideas for a unique PS but being more realistic, I would be super happy with a PTC refresh job for my 513 Rosewood.
All I want is a Faded Blue Jean refinish with a natural back and Jumbo frets...

This isn't fair and iv'e got terrible won't power but I'm a third of a way towards a possible P/S.
As it stands (And who knows what designs we're going to get in the future) I have in my head a
594 type Hollowbody, LT pickups,Rosewood Neck and Fretboard (BRW or IRW !!!.
Piezo and all the trimmings. What with the cites malarkey and being U/K based I'll try and roll with it and see where it takes me. Anything can happen in the next half hour!!!!!!!!!!!.Dream Dream Dream.!!!

My challenge is there are several builds I'd like to do today!

Lighter weight SC594 (several dealers say they can get this to work for me and I shouldn't give up on the shape yet with my back issues), otherwise DC 594 piezo trem. I'd prefer South American hog body but they're mostly heavier weight than African hog. Rosewood neck - cocobolo, Braz, Madie, Honduran?. Board - normally would match the neck wood, but I'm liking the African Blackwood on my Coll IX quite a bit. Tropical water quilt top - glow finish? Dragons breath finish? fade? Gen III trem, 58/15LT neck, 58/15 bridge. Inlays - birds in flight or brushstroke though I'd really like Celtic knots. Pete's blade or diamond knots look nice too. Stinger on back of headstock and matching back plates. Wood Tuner buttons, knobs and pickup rings.

Like Flux, the right curly koa top could pull me in a different direction....buy my Koa Sister 1 covers a lot of that 'itch' in the electric realm.

For an Acoustic PS, an all koa Angeles with paua shell inlays brushstroke style - I believe a forum member did one like this and I loved the look.

Mine would be this:
http://www.guitarhalo.com/prs-408-limited.html

The Brazilian rosewood neck, the whole look is stunning.

Additions?
24 fret heck, maybe.
Piezo pups, likely.
Separate tone controls for each pup, definitely.

And while I love the 408 sound as-is, I'd love to find some way to differentiate the split-coil sound a bit from the humbucking sound. Would make the instrument even more versatile.

Semi hollow Santana. Quilt top in a hot pink to deep purple dragons breath. Original Mann trem. Rosewood neck and board with a Pattern Vintage carve. Little dragon on the neck heel. Rush Clockwork Angels symbols for inlays. 58/15 pick ups with 408 switching. Updated PIII tuners. Flame Maple binding on the body. Wood cavity cover.

Last edited:
McCarty SC 594 One. Totally quilted, matching headstock, figured ebony board. Binding? Purfling? We'd have to see how the mood struck me if I was in the vault picking options...

Back