If you could Private Stock

This has been festering in my mind for a while, lol.....

IF I decide to go in a PS direction, it would be a very plain, utilitarian guitar for studio work. I'd start with an SC245 platform. I'd want it to be heavily chambered for more acoustic resonance - but NOT fully "semi-hollow". I'd go with the typical wood combo - maple top/mahogany neck/back. I would want a ivoroid bound rosewood fret board - no inlays. Fret wire can be spec. I'd like the headstock to have a MOP eagle. The body (including the PLAIN maple top) and neck/headstock would be stained a Tangerine stain similar to what Gretsch uses on the Chet Atkins G6121. The body would also have ivoroid binding.

The electronics are where I waffle. ULTIMATLEY what I'd LOVE is a pair of modified 57/08 humbuckers with the extra "mojo" of the 408 system added so I would have the 408 coil balance when using the single coils. But, if that couldn't be done, then I'd be okay with two narrow 408 pickups. Controls would be a modified version of the 408/PG system. I'd want the mini-switches, but 2 volumes, one tone, and the toggle where the SC245 has it. The bridge pickup volume would be in the standard spot, the neck volume where the 408 tone control rests, and the tone control where the 408 toggle is placed.

For hardware I'd go with nickle. The bridge would be a standard wrap around with the unplated brass posts. I'd go for Kluson vintage style tuners. I'd also request no truss-rod cover - so I'd see what the PS team could do about modifying the TR channel to make it have a cleaner, tighter appearance.

I think that's pretty much it!!

Semi-hollow (Core spec) Starla, bearclaw spruce top in a blonde/toned smokeburst of some kind, solid Macassar ebony neck & fretboard, Macassar ebony scratchplate and headstock veneer, dinosaur fossil bird inlays/HS inlay, figured mahogany back, tweaked Phase III tuners, Bigsby B5 (obviously), Starla pickups.

That's today's build anyway... ask me again another day it might change... :D

At some point I do need to try something from the "594" family. However, for the moment, I am really liking longer scales. So here are the specs I just placed a deposit for.....

Chambered double cut korina body and korina neck
25.5" scale, ebony board
Figured redwood top
Low(er) wind uncovered pickups, splittable (Actual model TBD)
Piezo
Ebony package (tuners and knobs, switch tip, pickup rings, pickup bobbins)
Understated inlays (abalone dots?)
Finish? On the "natural" side with most likely a mild burst.

Now the wait begins.....

Back