I'd Like To Blather On About PRS Amps For A Moment.

I won't put words in Bob's mouth, but he's played Markie's Hot Cat 30, so he should understand that difference. And because the SPL was so high after Bob brought his HXDA 30 to Martysnarf's basement that I really couldn't compare the two, I'm sure he has a good idea. :biggrin: That Hot Cat rocks with serious attitude, but the HXDA had finesse. Oh, and the HXDA sounded like twice the power.

It'd have to sound different I'm sure, as the preamp of the Hot Cat is nothing like the HXDA's.

But I did like the way the cathode biased EL34s sounded, the power section was very tight sounding. The low E string sounded like a piano string, lots of definition., even with some gain turned up. Which could be cool.

I dunno about anyone else's but my Hot Cat 30 was LOUD!

And in reference to Mark's Hot Cat...It's hard to say...that amp is awesome

Yes, it's a great amp. If memory serves, it's more like the a Matchless/Vox/Bad Cat type preamp, with the EL34 power amp section running in cathode bias, hence 30 watts like yours instead of 50.

Mine didn't have reverb, and it sounded really great.

It was a very bright amp, made more so by the Oversized 2x12 Bogner cab I was using with it! So in the room...yeah. Brightness. But in the studio where I mostly used it with an SM57, it was a really balanced sounding rig for recording.

As much as I loved the amp, I'm more fond of the DG30 because I think it has the ability to do a lot of what the Hot Cat does, plus get Fendery when I need that.

I do want to try an HXDA 30 at some point, if only to check one out. It'd be interesting to see if the 30 watt version tightened up the bottom end a little bit. Right now, I use the DG30 to get a really tight bottom end with the neck pickup on The Hammer (Of the Gods).

Last edited:
I'd very much enjoy spending a day in Bob's amp room. He's had - and has - some truly stellar gear. The bare hardwood floors scare my ears, though. :biggrin:

Markie, though known as a guitar aficionado, also has an eye for great amps. He doesn't have nearly the number as he does guitars, but what he has is exquisite. That Hot Cat is second only to the Sewell (pre-PRS) that Dane loves so much. The only thing about that BadCat is the controls...confusing as hell! But once setup, it's heavenly. Oh, forgot about the Bogner Shiva. :eek: And the...

Back