I'd Like To Blather On About PRS Amps For A Moment.

László

Too Many Notes
As a very old person, perhaps the oldest person in the universe (one never knows, of course), I find it necessary to blather on and on about a variety of topics, but none more than PRS amplifiers. You see, I am very enthusiastic about said PRS amplifiers and their associated amplifier paraphernalia, like speaker cabinets.

One good thing about being old is that you've had enough time to play through an awful lot of amps. This gives one perspective, experience, and in the rarest of cases, good taste in amps. Now, I may have more taste than liquidity, but I know a good amp when I play one.

And PRS amps are the best I have ever had in my studio. That's an awful lot of amps going back to my original Blackface Fenders and Checkered vinyl Ampegs, my many Mesas, Bogners, Two-Rocks, Roccafortes, and all the other wonderful amps that session players have hauled in to work with on ad projects over the past 25 years.

Not only do the said PRS amplifiers sound better IMHO than anything else out there ever made in the history of the world, from the beginning of time (I was there!) until this moment, they even look better.

Yes!

There is no amplifier that can compete with the HXDA, the DG30, or the amps I've never listened to or played except in clips, but heck I know they're good! :top:

So I'm going to give you, dear readers, the opportunity to join with me in praise of PRS amplifiers, The Amplifiers of The Gods on Mount Olympus and Other Mountains Owned By Mythical Supernatural Beings.

It is possible that I may interrupt your fervent posts from time to time to interject witty and pithy thoughts, and to further expound on this hypothesis.

You'll have to excuse me now, for the gods are beckoning...

It occurs to me that a one word reply doesn't do justice to the greatest amps ever in the history of all time.

Preach on, brother! Preach on! Let the spirit of the Amplifiers of the Gods move you to preach on!

From the few I have tried PRS amps are very nice and as one might expect they sound special with PRS guitars I hope to try more in the future :)

My PRS amp is legendary. This was not evident at first, but after a quick bit of research on the Intarwebby, it has become apparent that my amp is a force with which to be reckoned. Here are the top 5 reasons my amp is a bad-a$$:

+ When the Boogieman goes to sleep, he checks under the bed for my PRS amp.
+ Ghosts sit around the campfire and tell PRS amp stories.
+ My PRS amp has been to Mars. That's why there are no signs of life.
+ A cobra once bit my PRS amp. After days of agonizing pain, the cobra finally died.
and...
+ My PRS amp doesn't flush the toilet, it scares the crap out of it.

My band played at a day-long festival Saturday. During tear down, I had a couple of players from other bands tell me my tone was killer. Which amp? PRS 50 watt 2 channel Custom. :adore: my amp.

My PRS amp is legendary. This was not evident at first, but after a quick bit of research on the Intarwebby, it has become apparent that my amp is a force with which to be reckoned. Here are the top 5 reasons my amp is a bad-a$$:

+ A cobra once bit my PRS amp. After days of agonizing pain, the cobra finally died.
and...

Yes!

My band played at a day-long festival Saturday. During tear down, I had a couple of players from other bands tell me my tone was killer. Which amp? PRS 50 watt 2 channel Custom. :adore: my amp.

That, sir, is what I'm talkin' about!

“Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some acheive greatness, and some buy great amplifiers.”

― Shakespeare

My Sweet 16+ is phenomenal. It makes every guitar i have sound freaking great, and it does it at any volume. It doesn't need pedals, but it takes them very very well.

Well, I suppose I can weigh in. Don't have 'em all, but I have a few. If I had the choice to either give up my PRS guitars or my PRS amps, I'd actually (with sadness) give up the guitars. And that's saying something. I have (in no particular order):

MDT
HX/DA
2-Channel C
DG30
Archon

All of them really tops at what they do. I could probably part with the HX/DA because I find myself trying to set it as similar as I can to the MDT. The MDT isn't as flexible, but what it does, it does better (to my ears...) The best 50W MV Plexi-style amp on the planet. The 2 Channel C is just a great straightforward gigging amp. I don't tend to play it by itself, but when I want set and forget operation, it's the one to grab. The DG30 is its own special thing. Other than a few times when I first got it, I don't gig it out any more. It requires more work that I'm willing to give it lately to set nicely in the mix, but I have a ton of fun with it at home. Just superb, and it'll get tones that are hard to get from other amps.

But the best of them all? For me, it's the Archon. You really should get your hands on one sometime Les. Imagine a Fender Showman clean on one channel, then imagine a dirty channel that when the gain is set low, it's sort of a Two-Rock ODS with those singing souring lead notes and crunchy rhythms if you dial the guitar back a bit. Then imagine a metal tone that outdoes Mesa's (the ones I've had at least) when you crank up the gain on the lead channel. It's the one amp that always makes it back home with me after a gig.

In any case, while I definitely enjoy a wide range of amps, PRS amps are second to none....and (mood depending) they are better than most if not all others...) to me at least. And very strangely, the guitar I like with it the most is my ES335.

and...

P'shaw.

My PRS amp hit .347 in the majors with 32 HR and 103 RBIs. Then went on to score 53 goals with 71 assists in the NHL the same year.

But the best of them all? For me, it's the Archon. You really should get your hands on one sometime Les. Imagine a Fender Showman clean on one channel, then imagine a dirty channel that when the gain is set low, it's sort of a Two-Rock ODS with those singing souring lead notes and crunchy rhythms if you dial the guitar back a bit. Then imagine a metal tone that outdoes Mesa's (the ones I've had at least) when you crank up the gain on the lead channel.

I'd like to try one.

P'shaw.

My PRS amp hit .347 in the majors with 32 HR and 103 RBIs. Then went on to score 53 goals with 71 assists in the NHL the same year.

Pfft!

The way I figure it, my PRS amps pay me to play them, since I get royalties and session fees when I use 'em on national ads. ;)

Well, I suppose I can weigh in. Don't have 'em all, but I have a few. If I had the choice to either give up my PRS guitars or my PRS amps, I'd actually (with sadness) give up the guitars. And that's saying something. I have (in no particular order):

MDT
HX/DA
2-Channel C
DG30
Archon

All of them really tops at what they do. I could probably part with the HX/DA because I find myself trying to set it as similar as I can to the MDT. The MDT isn't as flexible, but what it does, it does better (to my ears...) The best 50W MV Plexi-style amp on the planet. The 2 Channel C is just a great straightforward gigging amp. I don't tend to play it by itself, but when I want set and forget operation, it's the one to grab. The DG30 is its own special thing. Other than a few times when I first got it, I don't gig it out any more. It requires more work that I'm willing to give it lately to set nicely in the mix, but I have a ton of fun with it at home. Just superb, and it'll get tones that are hard to get from other amps.

But the best of them all? For me, it's the Archon. You really should get your hands on one sometime Les. Imagine a Fender Showman clean on one channel, then imagine a dirty channel that when the gain is set low, it's sort of a Two-Rock ODS with those singing souring lead notes and crunchy rhythms if you dial the guitar back a bit. Then imagine a metal tone that outdoes Mesa's (the ones I've had at least) when you crank up the gain on the lead channel. It's the one amp that always makes it back home with me after a gig.

In any case, while I definitely enjoy a wide range of amps, PRS amps are second to none....and (mood depending) they are better than most if not all others...) to me at least. And very strangely, the guitar I like with it the most is my ES335.

The MDT is more Plexi than the HXDA?

That is as big of a compliment as they come. That's why they call him PhenROCK! :rock: Sorry I couldn't make it.

Bob, I'm trying to break away from the daily grind early enough to give you a call today. I've been swamped! Need to speak amp-nerd for a while. :D

Last edited:
The MDT is more Plexi than the HXDA?

I can't say in terms of the amp topology....but in terms of how it sounds and responds, yes...to me at least. MDT is supposedly shorthand for Marshall Dumble Tweed, depending on how much gain you have dialed in. I don't see the D and T part. To me, it's just a super duper hot rodded Plexi-style amp with a very well implemented master volume. The HX/DA is also obviously a Plexi-style amp, but the one tone it doesn't seem to be able to get is the MDT tone. And the great thing about the MDT for how I use it live is that the gain structure is set perfect for the club volumes that I play at. Dime the master volume, adjust the gain for the proper set point where guitar volume takes you in and out of cleanish to dirt (which is actually rather low on the dial), and it's the perfect club level.

Y'all know how I feel about my amps...I own the HXDA 30 watt combo.

Bob, I'm curious about how the HXDA 30 watt sounds compared to the 50.

Not actually buying amps right now, but wondering about this one.The reason is that I had a 30 watt Bad Cat Hot Cat at one point, an amp that also had cathode biased EL34 tubes that I liked very much.

I won't put words in Bob's mouth, but he's played Markie's Hot Cat 30, so he should understand that difference. And because the SPL was so high after Bob brought his HXDA 30 to Martysnarf's basement that I really couldn't compare the two, I'm sure he has a good idea. :biggrin: That Hot Cat rocks with serious attitude, but the HXDA had finesse. Oh, and the HXDA sounded like twice the power.

Back