I Love This Forum But….

I've just about had enough of you young whipper-snappers wanting to make everything "easier". In my day we had to load film into a camera, go take ALL the pictures on the roll, take the film to a store. Leave it there and wait. After a couple days go back and hope they give me my pictures and not someone else's kid's birthday party pictures. And don't get me started on when the camera accidentally popped open and exposed all the film... For crying out loud.

Luxury!

In my day…..

In addition to being a luthier and a regular old guitar freak, I am a software developer and enterprise architect during the day and I know what the requirements of hosting pics on the site are. There is a cost associated with storage and an enlarged footprint (I assume the host is cloud based, AWS or Azure maybe?). If cost is the prohibitive factor then maybe we could monetize certain features of the site to offset the cost. Or maybe PRS could enable this feature on the site as a show of appreciation to those of us who buy their expensive instruments and who have supported them for almost 40 years now. There are many ways to look at it but it would be nice to have this ability on what is an otherwise excellent forum.
You know for a fact that there's no way this would cover the dev costs, even if somehow it does hosting. Unless this is you volunteering to do this in perpetuity. But then PRS has to pay someone to manage the volunteer ...

Maybe you can just write and maintain a site to post images for this one exclusively.

I know I sound flippant, but I've been thinking of how I could do this with my Linode, but really I'm just a mobile eng, and don't trust myself with any sort of hosting effort.

Can we please fix the pic posting thing? It seems like every other forum in the universe allows copy paste of images except for this one. We are stuck in the bad old days of having to have an intermediary hosting service just to post pics here. Come on man! ;)
We cant even get a B,S,&T here, and you want this! lol

You know for a fact that there's no way this would cover the dev costs, even if somehow it does hosting. Unless this is you volunteering to do this in perpetuity. But then PRS has to pay someone to manage the volunteer ...

Maybe you can just write and maintain a site to post images for this one exclusively.

I know I sound flippant, but I've been thinking of how I could do this with my Linode, but really I'm just a mobile eng, and don't trust myself with any sort of hosting effort.
There is a cost associated with any upgrade. It is about what they consider valuable with regard to supporting this forum. And no, I didn’t volunteer for anything. I get paid for my work just like PRS gets paid for their guitars, perhaps we could work something out. ;)

There is a cost associated with any upgrade. It is about what they consider valuable with regard to supporting this forum. And no, I didn’t volunteer for anything. I get paid for my work just like PRS gets paid for their guitars, perhaps we could work something out. ;)
I believe the history of this forum is that someone from the community talked them into it after BaM dissolved, or something like that. PRS has zero vested interest in it. Which is why Sergio made the mall comment. More truth there than you might think.

Back