I Love This Forum But….

Can we please fix the pic posting thing? It seems like every other forum in the universe allows copy paste of images except for this one. We are stuck in the bad old days of having to have an intermediary hosting service just to post pics here. Come on man! ;)
I call that catering to your clients: most of the guys n gals here are from the good old days, and using hosting services would remind them of that age. The days when you could buy a new CU24 for $2500.

I've just about had enough of you young whipper-snappers wanting to make everything "easier". In my day we had to load film into a camera, go take ALL the pictures on the roll, take the film to a store. Leave it there and wait. After a couple days go back and hope they give me my pictures and not someone else's kid's birthday party pictures. And don't get me started on when the camera accidentally popped open and exposed all the film... For crying out loud.

pics.gif

...but that said, having to host them really doesn't seem like a big problem to me. Been using imgbb for a few years with no hassles and no fees. It even let's you copy/paste with the tags already in it. But hey, I get it. This is a free playground, why won't they install a roller coaster?

I'm in this camp as well.

I put my big boy pants on and did the photo bucket thing until that became a pain, then I did a different one until that one became a pain as well.

There are a lot of things in my day to day life that irritate the living **** out of me and it gets worse the older I get. Being a service tech definitely has its frustrations plus the global turmoil adds fuel to my fire.

I NEED simplicity.

I just find it easier to not post pics and catch all the grief for it plus my vocabulary becomes more appropriate.

Of the three forums I'm on regularly, two of them post pictures this way. It's no different than posting a link. PRS (apparently) doesn't want the cost or liability that may come w/hosting the pics. It's their house - take off your shoes.

I personally don't mind it as it is, maybe even prefer. Keeping all my images stored and organized in one place in the cloud is easy for me to reference if needed for something else. Copying a link vs clicking an image is the same amount of work. I'm going to have them stored somewhere anyways. This forces me to organize photos instead of buried in my phone with everything else.

They were less expensive than that back in the early '90s. I remember buying Artist Package models when PRS started that program for around that figure.
I was going for that: forums/newsgroups started second half of the nineties I think? (I was in in highschool then and had no interwebs until the early zeroes. So I made an educated guess.

Btw; also in the 2020's I bought a NOS CU24 10 top quilt for under 3k :p.

Can we please fix the pic posting thing? It seems like every other forum in the universe allows copy paste of images except for this one. We are stuck in the bad old days of having to have an intermediary hosting service just to post pics here. Come on man! ;)
As Cutting Edge As PRS Is On Their Products One Would Think They Would At Least Be In The Same Century With Their Forum And Its Capabilities. I Would Post A Lot More Helpful Content And Such If That Were The Case.

@alantig sums it up pretty well, but I think PRS is missing a marketing opportunity by not hosting the pix. Yes, liability could ensue when someone posts something out of line, but a properly written TOC would avoid the legal thorns of all of that. As for cost, storage gets cheaper every day and I guarantee that the cost of hosing pix from members would be tiny (like less than $100/year type tiny - 8TB drive could hold 20 million pictures at 50kb/pic). Then there is also the cost/complexity of "monitoring" the content. Who is going to take that on to ensure unwanted material is not posted and if it is, to remove it. But back to the marketing opportunity. What could be better than your customers fawning over and flaunting your product? With the TOC in joining the forum, they could put in a clause saying that if you choose to post here, you allow PRS to use those images in any way they wish (other than sale thereof). Then ad campaigns for the company could utilize some of the great photos that get posted by forum members. Opportunity lost IMO.

I have been a computer programmer for 30 years. In the early 00's, I built from scratch for clients, forums similar to this that included the ability for users to upload photos, pdf's, etc. But when I joined this forum in Feb 2021, I was thwarted in my efforts to post pix, even though I was using my own hosting service. The problem was secure websites must be used. So no http://, it HAS to be https:// for all users to be able to see it (which is in part based on users browser/system settings). When you go to put in your URL of a photo, you will notice it suggests to put http:// at the front of your url, yet that DOES NOT WORK as it MUST be https://. Once I figured that out (it allows you to post it with http but then many users will not be able to see it), I applied to my hosting company for the secure certificate and was able to get that added to my account at no extra charge, but an added wrinkle to "not only will we not host your pix, but they must be hosted at a secure site". You also have the issue that the URL you give pointing to the picture ends with a supported image extension (.jpg, .gif, .png, etc.) which is why google drive does not work. There are some BB Code ways to post pictures, but that is NOT using the forums picture inclusion method.

Anyway, I get their position, and I get the users position which is why I and many others have written tutorials (that link has my tutorial as well as links to other tutorials I am aware of on the forum regarding this topic) on how to do this at this website. It is a free forum (as are all other forums I am a member of), but if you want to play the game in full here, you have to reach to another service (and maybe even more services to get https) to make the experience whole! Is what it is, so take off your shoes, set a spell, y'all come back now, ya hear!

I’ll take a forum not full of a-holes without hosting over a drag and drop one with a-hole overload. Yes, I’d certainly like one with both good sides, but I like it here. I’ll live with that one oddity if that’s the deal offered.
Ahh..the days of bloodied and battered flame wars...I miss those days....:cool:

I’d post photos if I could just copy and paste in. There is just no way I am going to do all that photo bucket stuff. You want an amp or guitar photo? No problem. But I want to take the photo, share it and move on. It’s not something I am going to save for eternity on some hosting site or something.

And, candidly, it seems like a bunch of people here have dumped some serious dough on PRS. And we all speak highly of what we have. Simplifying the photo thing would be the least they could do?

Back