I have a core DGT and the bridge pickup is just way to bright compared to my other PRS’s…..it’s raised up high.. Would lowering it lessen the treble?

Rod/

Vibrato & String Bender
I lowered the polepieces to be flush with the cover. Raised it up high to get a fuller tone….That helped bring down the highs a bit. It’s a 2021 Wood Library version I paid dearly for. Plays incredibly well And is built with traditional mahogany body and neck with maple cap. The finish is very thin and I have to be very careful, unlike my poly ‘12 P-22 and ‘11 Stripped 58…
At any rate the bridge pickup is very bright and am wondering if lowering the pickup might help?
Are the newer 57/08 bridge pickups warmer than the ‘21 DGT bridge?
I played it against a few others and this one had a more articulate tone, which is why I bought it . Didn’t notice the bright bridge tone till later in a band context….Weighs around 7.5 lbs.
Any advise, as always is Greatly appreciated

Last edited:
I have never heard someone calling the DGT bright hmmm , do the coil taps work ? thinking you have a wiring problem.
raising the pickup usually makes it brighter , more hard edged in my experience.
First meter the pickups neck should be around 7.5 K bridge should be around 9K
Lower the neck pickup about even with the pickup ring ( for me ) and the bridge start around 5 or 6/32 between the pickup and the bottom of the string play with the height till its just hotter then the neck , you can also have the pickup angled a bit running the bass side higher than the treble side.
Try that and report back

I have never heard someone calling the DGT bright hmmm , do the coil taps work ? thinking you have a wiring problem.
raising the pickup usually makes it brighter , more hard edged in my experience.
First meter the pickups neck should be around 7.5 K bridge should be around 9K
Lower the neck pickup about even with the pickup ring ( for me ) and the bridge start around 5 or 6/32 between the pickup and the bottom of the string play with the height till its just hotter then the neck , you can also have the pickup angled a bit running the bass side higher than the treble side.
Try that and report back
Hi. Yes they measure at 9.4 k and 7.3. Neck pickup is flush with the ring. Sounds fantastic.. I will lower the bridge pickup like you suggested. Maybe that’s the issue… Coil taps work fine. Wiring is as it should be…thank you!

The DGT neck pickup is dark and a little mushy in my experience. The bridge pickup is on the brighter side but not overly bright. If one would set the amp up to get a clear bright neck tone, then that would make the bridge sound extremely bright relative to the neck pickup.

Personally I love the DGT bridge pickup. The neck is good for smooth lead sounds but lacks clarity for most other things IMO. It’s not the best pickup for clear clean tones for example.

Lowering the bridge pickup will decrease the high end but at the same time also decrease the low end and overall output. If you like that or not is up to you. There’s no harm in trying it out.

Just measure the height of the bridge pickup in relation to the strings, so you can set it back to where it was if you don't like the tone.

I don't find the bridge pickup on my DGT bright, but I set my amps up differently for each guitar, so maybe that's why.

I set all of my PRS humbuckers per instructions on their website, (which would be 2.5/32” on the treble side and 3.5/32” on the bass side of the bridge pickup).
What amp are you using? Tone and volume settings on the guitar? Even pedal order can affect brightness of the guitar. Might be worth listening to the video David Grissom did on setting up his guitar and amp tone. His tone is far from too bright!

Yeah, that signal chain can be a bear depending on the guitar plugged into it...

I actually did with my Wood Library DGT after I received it what I do with all my guitars.
I set the bridge pickup height and pole pieces where I can dime the tone control for the brighter tones and then roll back between 10 and 6 on the tone for warmer tones.

Then I set the neck pickups as clear and bright as I can get them to balance with the bridge pickup so the tone control works similarly to the bridge. If I start a little brighter, I can roll back for the the more lush tones with less bite.

Back