HNUGD 2009 PRS McCarty Smokeburst

Gtrbldr

Not a new member
In the "for the love of ..." thread I already announced a HNUGD. Yesterday I picked up a used 2009 McC smokeburst.

Since I am dutch, I culturally am obliged to tell the following. Distance is a relative thing, depending on the country you live in, so for our Canadian brothers and sisters I guess the seller was the next door neighbour, but I had to drive 2.5 hours, a long drive for us, and that is a fortunate thing. Because the seller was about 2 hours away from every potential buyer, I got this guitar for a 2013 price (a.k.a. a steal). Nice guy, PRS fan with some great hi end PRSi in his collection and this is one of the reasons buying used PRSi is fun: you get to meet intersting people.

However, I digress. Guitar in question is from the limited 2009 McCarty Smokeburst series. That means old school nitro lacquer, first editions 57/08 PUs and J birds. Together with a tastefull flame maple top (not nearly a 10 but consistent across the entire top, so a little reserved but pretty), and smokeburst colour pattern it breathes a classic guitar. My wife called it "very vintage" in a good way.

The guitar came with some "battle scars", including wounds on the headstock from being hung with non-nitro friendly wall hanger. Something that has to be repared in due time. Other battlescars however give it a worn in vibe, a character so to speak. Small dents are not nicks, like with poly, but due to the nitro soft in nature. There are not many, guitar is in great shape, but they do not bother me at all.

Another fun fact is that I got two neck humbuckers: neck reads 7.7k, bridge 7.9, which is really far off spec and a lot less than my CU24 from the 57/08 series that reads about 8.5 for the bridge PU. As a result the guitar sounds rather warm, sweet, but with just enough bite in the bridge. And with a bridge and neck PU with about the same DC: very vintage correct.

All in all: the guitar brings exacly what I hoped and it plays and sounds great.

Since this thread is worthless without pics: see post #6

Last edited:
Another fun fact is that I got two neck humbuckers: neck reads 7.7k, bridge 7.9, which is really far off spec and a lot less than my CU24 from the 57/08 series that reads about 8.5 for the bridge PU. As a result the guitar sounds rather warm, sweet, but with just enough bite in the bridge. And with a bridge and neck PU with about the same DC: very vintage correct.
How do the 2 neck pickups balance out volume wise? Is the neck pup alot louder and more open?

Last edited:
Is there someone with an jmage sharing account that could help me out? I used to be able to use Google Drive, but that option has been cut.

How dothe 2 neck pickups balance out volume wise? Is the neck pup alot louder and more open?

Neck is a little louder, but pickup height helps to balance it out. Also the frequency response in the neck position mellows it out a lot. Bridge is warmer, softer than in the CU24, but the 57/08 bridge is a little brighter relative to the neck than I'd generally like.

Ah, found one!

20240204-122707.jpg

20240204-162726.jpg

20240204-162705.jpg

Thanks everybody! Yesterday I got to spend some more time with it and it is a great addition.

However the pickups are kind of an issue, more than I earlier thought. Might swap out the neck. I like the 57/08 neck PU in the bridge (#confusing), but the neck pickup in the neck is less my thing, i already am conflicted about that one in my CU24. I prefer a brighter PU in the neck and it is too loud for my liking as well, compared to the bridge. Got a Wolfetone legend in a drawer that will match nicely :).

Last edited:
Might swap out the neck.(#confusing), but the neck pickup in the neck is less my thing, i already am conflicted about that one in my CU24. I prefer a brighter PU in the neck and it is too loud for my liking as well, compared to the bridge. Got a Wolfetone legend in a drawer that will match nicely :).
Congrats on the score!

Too bad about the neck 57/08. Keep us posted on how the Wolfetone Legend works out.

Congrats on the score!

Too bad about the neck 57/08. Keep us posted on how the Wolfetone Legend works out.
Will do. It is not the regular version, but an alnico V and oh so slightly underwound 7.35k). Should give some extra sparkle and a slight midscoop, to balance out the relatively mid heavy neck position.

Congrats on the score!

Quite the improvement i must say. Clearer and almost tubular sound. Less push of the amp than the bridge, although equally loud, and somehow complements the eq of the bridge pu better. I don't like the wooly sound of most warm neck PUs. I prefer a tad clearer.
Congrats on scoring a real beauty. Love that colour!
Thank you. It is very pretty.

Quite the improvement i must say. Clearer and almost tubular sound.
Quick swap!

So glad it worked well, but not too surprising given the pickup quality that Wolfe makes. My SE's have a Marshallhead/Dr Vintage set and a Mean/Meaner P90 set.

Quick swap!

So glad it worked well, but not too surprising given the pickup quality that Wolfe makes. My SE's have a Marshallhead/Dr Vintage set and a Mean/Meaner P90 set.
3 of my PRSi have at least one of his pickups. All of them my most played guitars. McSoapy had mean/underwound mean, CU22 Marshallhead mk2 set and they are awesome

Ah, found one!

20240204-122707.jpg

20240204-162726.jpg

20240204-162705.jpg
Fantastic! Congratulations! My new guitar student today is half Dutch, great kid!! Looks more Nordic than me(I am from Norway but based on NYC). Always wanted to check out then Smokeburst series , I remember when they came out. To my recollection I haven’t played one. I did play a McCarty Ted single cut ones though an I just got a 1999 Archtop II myself! Fat guitar!

Back