Hello and NGD!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by JackStraw12, Jun 18, 2017.

1. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Abiding

Hi Everyone!

I'm JackStraw12, from the great white north of New England. Very happy to be here. Admire PRS and extremely Grateful to have two wonderful examples that I rely on for my gigging with my jam band. DGT and now a 408! Very excited to learn more about PRS through this forum and network with other musicians.

Here's the tale of my newest addition to the PRS family:

Ever since I got my DGT a few years ago, it immediately went to the #1 spot. The pickups are really voiced perfectly for the type of music I'm into (funk/jam stuff) and although I've had a few Gs and Fs in the stable, there was always something going on with them where I wouldn't want to take them on a gig, or they just weren't happening for the music/feel.

My G Traditional, and USA Strat were specific culprits - and while they were great guitars I just didn't play them and I hated seeing them getting dusty as well as the $$ tied up in stuff I didn't really use all that much. I was too afraid to damage my Traditional, and the Fender was just not something I could get into despite trying for so long.

Anyways, I saw this used 408 on sale at my local shop, and figured, why not. Take down the guitars I'm not using and see if I can turn it into something I can get some real use out of, I'd rather have two guitars I play the hell out of, than 3 with only one getting used.

The shop and I were able to work out a great deal, and I took home the 408! It's a 2013 Livingston lemondrop 10 top even though it's pretty subtle. It's got birds, and while I wasn't crazy about it they're growing on me and look pretty classy. Pattern neck, which is somewhat thick, but a very comfortable profile and real easy to get along with the DGT's profile, same 25" scale as well. Still smells new, and all the case goodies were in there too!

To the pickups, I know they're proprietary and you can't swap them but I have no plans to. On all my guitars, the only one I did swap was my LP Studio's to WCR Fillmores. The 408's sound fantastic and are a little modern contrast to my DGT, you can still get into PAFish territory - just back down the volume a hair. Very clear sounding, and coming from PAF style pickups they really hold together well and there's excellent string seperation. The taper on these guitars are just so great, and with the coil taps for each pickup just make this guitar super versatile. I traded my Jerry Garcia style Strat in the deal, but with the neck split and bridge bucker in the middle position on the 408I get pretty close, and works well for that style of music. I think the DGT and 408 compliment each other really really well, and it's really nice to have both available on gigs should one go down.

Back to playing!

First is a great photo the store took for the listing, second is with my iPotato 6S

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Rah rah ah ah ah!

Welcome!

Great lookin' 408!

JackStraw12 likes this.
  3. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump New Member

Welcome and glad to have you

JackStraw12 likes this.
  4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Welcome to the Forum, Jack. DGT and 408 are a couple of great models! I love Linpvingston Lemon Drop.

JackStraw12 likes this.
  5. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Great choices Jack, and welcome!

JackStraw12 likes this.
  6. sloanthebone

sloanthebone I love quilts!

Man I had one is this same color but had a thin neck which I couldn't get along with. If it had pattern I would still own it. Gratz on a great looking and sounding guitar!

JackStraw12 likes this.
  7. Lee B.

Lee B. I stitch my wings and pull the strings.

Love the lemondrop finish!

JackStraw12 likes this.
  8. veinbuster

veinbuster In the cards

Very nice.
    There isn't much you can't do with a DGT and a 408.

JackStraw12 likes this.
  9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Beautiful 408! Welcome to the forum!

JackStraw12 likes this.
  10. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Abiding

Thanks everyone! Very comfortable guitar to play, practice sessions standing a breeze compared to the Trad.

Here's the DGT and 408!

[​IMG]

11. Guitarsan

Guitarsan "I floor it. That’s technical talk." SRV

Welcome and great snag!

JackStraw12 likes this.
  12. Russ73

Russ73 New Member

Nice pair! and welcome...

JackStraw12 likes this.
  13. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Congrats & love that color! Welcome

JackStraw12 likes this.
  14. Jimi D

Jimi D New Member

Congrats again Jack... and nice to see you found your way over here from TGP...

...now, you know it's time to start planning what your next PRS will be, right? ;)

15. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Abiding

Happy to be here! Some incredible guitars on this forum.

Hmm... I have always wanted a hollowbody...

16. charliefrench

charliefrench New Member

Welcome, and big congrats! :)

JackStraw12 likes this.