Hairline cracks in SE245 Neck

Alright so some info:
  • I got a 2017 SE245 model in June
  • I inspect my guitar and clean it after every use
  • I havent played in about 2 days, and noticed 2 spots where small, hard to capture on a camera cracks. One runs along the heel, where Id imagine the neck meets the body. The other is at the end of the fingerboard, nut under it (Around the 20th-22nd fret). Both are on the bass side of the neck.
  • Lately the temperature has been fluctuating from very hot to very cold.
  • Right now it sits in a gigbag with neck support from its shipping box until a SKB case comes next month.

My main worry is this will be an issue. Ive got a warranty for damages through guitar center (Not my idea) incase PRS wouldnt cover any damages. But I hear mixed things about cracks like this.
As soon as I figure out how to add pictures via phone I will post them below.

Alright so some info:
  • I got a 2017 SE245 model in June
  • I inspect my guitar and clean it after every use
  • I havent played in about 2 days, and noticed 2 spots where small, hard to capture on a camera cracks. One runs along the heel, where Id imagine the neck meets the body. The other is at the end of the fingerboard, nut under it (Around the 20th-22nd fret). Both are on the bass side of the neck.
  • Lately the temperature has been fluctuating from very hot to very cold.
  • Right now it sits in a gigbag with neck support from its shipping box until a SKB case comes next month.
My main worry is this will be an issue. Ive got a warranty for damages through guitar center (Not my idea) incase PRS wouldnt cover any damages. But I hear mixed things about cracks like this.
As soon as I figure out how to add pictures via phone I will post them below.

qIvVnu3.jpg

Photo didn't come out the best. Neither can be felt when you rub your finger over them, and the one on the heel does not show through a camera

Even if it’s just to put your mind at rest, it’d be a good idea to call PRS Customer Service. They’ll certainly have your back no matter what it is.
I'll give them a call and see what happens then. I've heard great things about PRS customer service so far

The “mighty freezing Narcissi” super hero of the guitar world. He can leap tall buildings in one bound, save damsels in distress from railway tracks and distress Bernie’s with a glance!:D:eek:

Last edited:
Bingo!

OP, can you please circle the area of concern in the image you posted? I see something, but to me it doesn't look like a crack, it looks like a very mild scratch in the finish - cracks in wood generally follow the grain, and I see nothing that looks like that.

Also, I only saw one image (body end of fretboard, showing the section of neck wood between fretboard and body) - do you have an image of the one along the heel?

Neck joints are a common place to get finish cracks. Personally, if it looks like it's just in the finish and not structural, and very hard to notice... I would just let it go. Keep your receipt handy in case it ever spreads or something, but the finish on SE models is very robust, so I would predict there's very little chance of that happening.

Edit: Another personal opinion matter... never get the GC extended warranty on a PRS (or most things for that matter). If you're buying a new item that comes with a manufacturer's warranty, as a PRS does, 99.9% of the time they're going to refer you back to the manufacturer anyways, they don't want to pay any claims out. The GC warranty is covered by a third party service that provides generic warranty coverage for a wide variety of products, they know next to nothing about music equipment and are always going to try to defer to the manufacturer to avoid out of pocket expense on their end. Unless you're worried about damage from an accident, which the GC warranty may or may not cover depending on the week, seems like. Used to be they had a disclaimer that their extended warranty didn't cover your gear if you used it anywhere that could be considered commercial use. Had a bad experience with their warranty once where the manufacturer was flaking on their 2 year coverage, and the extended warranty I paid for got me absolutely nowhere, on a manufacturer defect issue not related to use at all. And, just because you bought the warranty at GC, doesn't mean they're going to do anything at all for you if you have a problem, they will also just refer you on to call the third party. Just my $.02... PRS always does right by their customers, save your money.

Last edited:
Neck joints are a common place to get finish cracks. Personally, if it looks like it's just in the finish and not structural, and very hard to notice... I would just let it go. Keep your receipt handy in case it ever spreads or something, but the finish on SE models is very robust, so I would predict there's very little chance of that happening.

Edit: Another personal opinion matter... never get the GC extended warranty on a PRS (or most things for that matter). If you're buying a new item that comes with a manufacturer's warranty, as a PRS does, 99.9% of the time they're going to refer you back to the manufacturer anyways, they don't want to pay any claims out. The GC warranty is covered by a third party service that provides generic warranty coverage for a wide variety of products, they know next to nothing about music equipment and are always going to try to defer to the manufacturer to avoid out of pocket expense on their end. Unless you're worried about damage from an accident, which the GC warranty may or may not cover depending on the week, seems like. Used to be they had a disclaimer that their extended warranty didn't cover your gear if you used it anywhere that could be considered commercial use. Had a bad experience with their warranty once where the manufacturer was flaking on their 2 year coverage, and the extended warranty I paid for got me absolutely nowhere, on a manufacturer defect issue not related to use at all. And, just because you bought the warranty at GC, doesn't mean they're going to do anything at all for you if you have a problem, they will also just refer you on to call the third party. Just my $.02... PRS always does right by their customers, save your money.
As Andy says your GC warranty sounds like white goods extended warranties that we have in UK, they aren’t worth the paper they’re on. Save your money.

In the event of anything structural, I’m sure PRS will do right by you. They take pride in their instruments. PRSh is a “no-nonsense” guy. He wouldn’t put his name to a product that didn’t do what it was supposed to.

You’ve only to watch any video of him throwing a guy to member of the audience. If he didn’t have faith in his product, he wouldn’t do that!

Bingo!

OP, can you please circle the area of concern in the image you posted? I see something, but to me it doesn't look like a crack, it looks like a very mild scratch in the finish - cracks in wood generally follow the grain, and I see nothing that looks like that.

Also, I only saw one image (body end of fretboard, showing the section of neck wood between fretboard and body) - do you have an image of the one along the heel?
I couldn't get that one around the heel to show up in a picture, its hard to even notice in person. And for the area of concern in the picture posted, its the white in the wood near the pickup. Since the lighting is a bit better now since it's the day I can probably get better pictures of both spots

Bingo!

xlcve6E.jpg

That is the best up-close pic I can get in focus. The flash makes it look worse, but at least it shows how long it is. one on the heel is so faint it doesn't come up on camera, so I'm not at all worried about it. The area is still butter smooth like the rest of the body where the scratch/crack is in the picture above, and I couldn't fit anything in it, it also does not flex at all with pressure on the neck. Whatever it might be, it seems to just be cosmetic (Which doesn't bother me at all, I bought a PRS for a reliable gig guitar, although it being super gorgeous miggghhhttttttt have made me pick it over its competition)

I fully agree. I wasn't available to actively go get the guitar, so I sent a family member to go get it......and they got talked into it. Gotta say GC really pushes their warranties on people for just about everything imaginable.

You misspelled "never go to GC".

Back