Guitars: Toys or tools?

I'm gonna point out that the OP asked "How would you describe them", not what they are. I think we can all agree, guitars are musical instruments, but how you use them will certainly have influence on how you describe them. I mean, a box van and a Porsche 959 are both vehicles, but one can be "described" as a tool to compete in the business world (most likely scenario) and the other is likely "described" as a toy for most who own them.
I get what you’re saying. I just don’t agree with the premise that an instrument is a toy or tool.

I don’t care what you call it. My guitars are the loves of my life. There, I said it! Lol

I can hardly wait to get out of this hell hole and pick up one of my beloved babies! It’s a Gibson night.

You know, if there's one response in this thread I can relate to, this has to be it. Guitars for me are objects of desire, and they always have been... Since I was 10 years old the thing I wanted most in the world was an electric guitar. And it always has been. There are people in my life I would gladly turn all my guitars to kindling to protect, but in the world of material possession a guitar is the only thing I've ever really wanted. Houses, cars, boats, cottages, cell phones, motorcycles, whatever; I can own all this other crap, but the only things I really hold dear are my guitars. The rest is just the filler, necessities and needs. Guitars are my babies too.

You know, if there's one response in this thread I can relate to, this has to be it. Guitars for me are objects of desire, and they always have been... Since I was 10 years old the thing I wanted most in the world was an electric guitar. And it always has been. There are people in my life I would gladly turn all my guitars to kindling to protect, but in the world of material possession a guitar is the only thing I've ever really wanted. Houses, cars, boats, cottages, cell phones, motorcycles, whatever; I can own all this other crap, but the only things I really hold dear are my guitars. The rest is just the filler, necessities and needs. Guitars are my babies too.
I have been insanely crazy about my guitars since day 1. I just went through a dry spell but I am back with a vengeance. Thank you for the confirmation.

Tonight is a GNR night! Anxious to get out of here.

Since I have made money with mine, I am going to say Tool. However, I also see them as objects of desire. I love the look feel and sound of all of them. I find each one has a soul of it's own. I get in connection with that soul and channel mine through it.

When I picked up my Gibson to play last night I noticed some dirt on it. This guitar is almost 30 years old. 1995. I put some new strings and just took a soft cloth to the nitro finish. This is not my favourite guitar to play but now I am starting to like it more.

And damn I haven’t played my Parker for a month and haven’t even had time to take it to get it repaired.

Back