(EDIT) New Guitar Day, surgury already planned. PRS McCarty 594 Thinline

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
The goal here was to find a guitar that I could install the set of 57/08's pickups which I've had sitting around here for a few years now. They are expensive pickups, so I don't want to put them into a cheap guitar, but I also don't want to put them into a really expensive guitar because such a guitar might already have very expensive pickups in it. So I needed something in the middle and I think THIS guitar will be a good place to put the 57/08's.

Used (and as such VERY affordable), mint condition, and a model that MANY of you on this forum have been raving about. The release of this model got my attention too and it's been on my radar ever since. While the 85/15s (imported) pickups may be just fine in this guitar, I've already got 3 core line McCarty 594's in solid body and semi-hollow versions, so I imagine that these imported pickups won't be missed.

Not only that, but this is THE VERY FIRST TIME I have ever bought a non-core model PRS guitar. Worst case scenario, should i not like this guitar, I'm confident I could sell it for exactly what I have into it. Very low risk for me.

So here is what I am planning... Since I don't know if the stock electronics are any good or not, I'm planning to pair these 57/08's with an Emerson short shaft 50's style drop in wiring kit which I have also had sitting around here for a number of years. I assume that the 57/08's will be compatible, I just don't remember exactly what the pickup wires look like or what colors are supposed to go to what, so I may be asking for some schematical assistance here shortly.

Anyway, THIS was also the color that I would have selected if I were buying it new. I'm beginning to like this whole "buy it used" thing. Moments before I pulled the trigger on this one, I was looking at a used non-thinline version of this guitar. I replied back to that guy saying GLWS and letting him know I decided to go with a different S2. He said the reason he was parting with his S2 is that he said it "felt more like" an SE model and not like his core model 594. Has anyone ever experienced that between the core lines and the S2 lines?

Well, whaddyaya'all think? Good plan? Thoughts?

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3MyLW1jY2FydHktNTk0LXRoaW5saW5lLXZpbnRhZ2UtY2hlcnJ5LmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7ImpwZWciOnsicXVhbGl0eSI6ODIsInByb2dyZXNzaXZlIjp0cnVlLCJ0cmVsbGlzUXVhbnRpc2F0aW9uIjp0cnVlLCJvdmVyc2hvb3REZXJpbmdpbmciOnRydWUsIm9wdGltaXplU2NhbnMiOnRydWV9LCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjE5MjAsImhlaWdodCI6NjYzLCJmaXQiOiJjb3ZlciJ9fX0=

Great score...OP I have s2s and an SE and NO theyre not in the same ballpark IMO...my 594 thinline is solid black which.i also bought used mint for a steal but the red is my favorite as well....enjoy....im using mine with stock pups and im satisfied but im sure those pups will elevate the guitar...

The PRS S2 guitars are the best American made guitar for that price and in many cases twice that price. You cant go wrong with that guitar. Play it for a while before you swap anything out. You may like it the way it is. As far as the S2 being inferior to a core model I don't buy that. I have 3 S2 one a 594 and they play just as well as my 5k 594 semi hollow body. My .2 cent.

SOOOOOOO much guitar in the S2 line. I have an S2 ,all hog, Used to be Satin, Decked, Pearly Gates. Irreplaceable to ME!!

Pearly Gates! *DING* *DING* *DING* That is today's secret word!

I've also got a brand new in the box set of Pearly Gates pickups with a RS Guitarworks (sucks to hear what happened to them with the flood and all) drop in 50's wiring kit for a Gibson Flying V with the tone controls arranged in a 1960's layout. Now all I've got to do if find a Flying V neck & body from somewhere (Stratosphere guitar parts, Warmoth, or a used fix-er-upper) and then that will be my next build project.

As a recent 57/08;owner, a first time S2 owner mid year, and a tweaker at heart I approve this plan! Can't wait to see pics and hear more.

As far as the other can of worms.. I read on here a little while back and it made sense to me. The S2 is an American made SE. Both are awesome guitars but the S2 has better wood. That's the separating factor for me. My S2 fretboard wood has that luscious almost purple rosewood color.

The 594 is arguably the best S2 to date, and I almost bought a SC594 instead of my SC58 to do exactly what you're doing.

This plan rocks!!

As a recent 57/08;owner, a first time S2 owner mid year, and a tweaker at heart I approve this plan! Can't wait to see pics and hear more.

As far as the other can of worms.. I read on here a little while back and it made sense to me. The S2 is an American made SE. Both are awesome guitars but the S2 has better wood. That's the separating factor for me. My S2 fretboard wood has that luscious almost purple rosewood color.

The 594 is arguably the best S2 to date, and I almost bought a SC594 instead of my SC58 to do exactly what you're doing.

This plan rocks!!

Yes, PRSh said that it is the exact same wood for both the core line and the S2 line. As for electronics, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone do a deep dive comparison into the difference between the electronics which goes into each of the three main guitar lines to see how they stack up against each other. Then as for the remaining hardware, I believe the bridge in this case is the same as the core line but I'm not sure about the nut & tuners. Perhaps there would be a benefit to upgrading the tuners, I don't know.

Yes, PRSh said that it is the exact same wood for both the core line and the S2 line. As for electronics, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone do a deep dive comparison into the difference between the electronics which goes into each of the three main guitar lines to see how they stack up against each other. Then as for the remaining hardware, I believe the bridge in this case is the same as the core line but I'm not sure about the nut & tuners. Perhaps there would be a benefit to upgrading the tuners, I don't know.

On the 594, I'd swap out the pickups and electronics and call it a day. Unless you want to add locking tuners..

The goal here was to find a guitar that I could install the set of 57/08's pickups which I've had sitting around here for a few years now. They are expensive pickups, so I don't want to put them into a cheap guitar, but I also don't want to put them into a really expensive guitar because such a guitar might already have very expensive pickups in it. So I needed something in the middle and I think THIS guitar will be a good place to put the 57/08's.

Used (and as such VERY affordable), mint condition, and a model that MANY of you on this forum have been raving about. The release of this model got my attention too and it's been on my radar ever since. While the 85/15s (imported) pickups may be just fine in this guitar, I've already got 3 core line McCarty 594's in solid body and semi-hollow versions, so I imagine that these imported pickups won't be missed.

Not only that, but this is THE VERY FIRST TIME I have ever bought a non-core model PRS guitar. Worst case scenario, should i not like this guitar, I'm confident I could sell it for exactly what I have into it. Very low risk for me.

So here is what I am planning... Since I don't know if the stock electronics are any good or not, I'm planning to pair these 57/08's with an Emerson short shaft 50's style drop in wiring kit which I have also had sitting around here for a number of years. I assume that the 57/08's will be compatible, I just don't remember exactly what the pickup wires look like or what colors are supposed to go to what, so I may be asking for some schematical assistance here shortly.

Anyway, THIS was also the color that I would have selected if I were buying it new. I'm beginning to like this whole "buy it used" thing. Moments before I pulled the trigger on this one, I was looking at a used non-thinline version of this guitar. I replied back to that guy saying GLWS and letting him know I decided to go with a different S2. He said the reason he was parting with his S2 is that he said it "felt more like" an SE model and not like his core model 594. Has anyone ever experienced that between the core lines and the S2 lines?

Well, whaddyaya'all think? Good plan? Thoughts?

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3MyLW1jY2FydHktNTk0LXRoaW5saW5lLXZpbnRhZ2UtY2hlcnJ5LmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7ImpwZWciOnsicXVhbGl0eSI6ODIsInByb2dyZXNzaXZlIjp0cnVlLCJ0cmVsbGlzUXVhbnRpc2F0aW9uIjp0cnVlLCJvdmVyc2hvb3REZXJpbmdpbmciOnRydWUsIm9wdGltaXplU2NhbnMiOnRydWV9LCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjE5MjAsImhlaWdodCI6NjYzLCJmaXQiOiJjb3ZlciJ9fX0=
I just got one of these. I changed the tuners to the PRS S2 locking tuners. These are very nice tuners, a big improvement over the supplied ones.
I like your ideas! I do find the fretwork and the wood on the S2’s to be better than my SE’s. This will be a fantastic guitar!

I just got one of these. I changed the tuners to the PRS S2 locking tuners. These are very nice tuners, a big improvement over the supplied ones.

Did you have to go with S2 tuners? I'm wondering if the core line tuners would fit.

Hangar, you've seen my posts about my McCarty TL, so you know how I feel about it. IMHO, PRS's best kept secret. The only thing I wish mine had was an ebony fretboard. Well, OK, and locking tuners that look like the vintage tuners currently on her. :)

Back