Does PRS Private stock match finshes too?

AngelsandDemons, that color is Smoky Blonde (PRS misspells it Smokey Blonde). I have it on my PS acoustic's back and sides; you won't have trouble matching it (the iPhone pic I'm attaching will give you an idea, though the color is a little off in my pic):

I would have to go with McCarty Burst...not sure Smokey Blonde was a color option back in 2000, and a McC Burst can really vary, depending on lighting.

This is the first "honey gold" PRS. It was developed from photos of two other guitars of mine that I submitted for a match:

This is what I have sent to them now. Hope to see the finished product in a few months:

CK_845Top.jpeg

Does ANYONE know the name of this finish?

^ copperhead maybe? But if you want it to look like that, you gotta find a piece of maple like that.

it is quilt right?

I dont think this is copperhead. I just looked it up and they dont really match

You are both right. Copperhead is the baseline. Here is a short version of the story.
Some of you may remember my awesome cocobolo neck with the big sap edge. That neck is on this guitar - you can see a bit of it in the photo.
I favour natural finishes on my crazy wood. In talking to Paul Miles we decided to enhance the character of the top, which naturally had huge colour swings. So it isn't a full on copperhead, that tone is just used to enhance the contrast between the light and dark portions of the grain. And it works really well with the natural neck with its deep, dark chocolate grain and honey toned sap.

And I wouldn't really call the top a quilt, though it has some of that character. It's not really a flame either. But I like it.

Angels&demons: I guarantee they can give you the colour in your photo. Just find a top that suits you. They will have a few with those characteristics for you to choose from. Great guitar by the way. It is easy to see why you want to make one like it.

Best thing to do is get a print of the top that represents what you want. Because all computer monitors and printers will show subtle differences, the only true way to show Dave (he's the guy who will do the staining) what you want is with a photo print. Even then, as others have pointed out, every bit of wood takes stain differently so the final result might not look exactly like your dream top. Try to get a top close to what you want. Paul M. and company are good at that.

Mike

You are both right. Copperhead is the baseline. Here is a short version of the story.
Some of you may remember my awesome cocobolo neck with the big sap edge. That neck is on this guitar - you can see a bit of it in the photo.
I favour natural finishes on my crazy wood. In talking to Paul Miles we decided to enhance the character of the top, which naturally had huge colour swings. So it isn't a full on copperhead, that tone is just used to enhance the contrast between the light and dark portions of the grain. And it works really well with the natural neck with its deep, dark chocolate grain and honey toned sap.

And I wouldn't really call the top a quilt, though it has some of that character. It's not really a flame either. But I like it.

Angels&demons: I guarantee they can give you the colour in your photo. Just find a top that suits you. They will have a few with those characteristics for you to choose from. Great guitar by the way. It is easy to see why you want to make one like it.

Thank you for such kind words at the end..by the way ,who do you recommend to order a prs other than Wildwood? Someone reputable, thorough and meticulous?

Thank you for such kind words at the end..by the way ,who do you recommend to order a prs other than Wildwood? Someone reputable, thorough and meticulous?

I have nothing against Wildwood. I haven't dealt with them myself but many have. I offered a couple of alternatives in response to a message you sent me yesterday.

Wildwood is a great dealer (and just down the street from me). If you have someone local, chat them up and see what you can come up with.

Thank you all so much, you guys have been wonderful

When I order my PS I will put up spec sheet. Guitar will arrive 2 years later though.

Back