Custom 24 vs Standard 24

LSchefman: Not so much that as the $60/way ferry cost for a car to get off the island, or the $16/way walk-on ferry cost (while lugging a PRS case around for 3-4 hours) makes it a bit more difficult to simply drive to another city to do a tone comparison :). I'm limited to one down island but again, relatively few in comparison. They had an S2 in stock not too long ago, and there's a limited run 408 or 513 in town here but it's around the $3.5k range and not exactly what I'm looking for :). Just makes it hard to do an objective tone comparison with my guitar there as well, but I'll see what I can find - heading to Vancouver for a concert and should be able to mess around with a CU24 easily there.

Jazzedout: Good to know. I like those pickups so far.
Even with a fairly high gain amp setting, rolling back the volume to around 6-7 and maybe toying a bit with the tone knob gets you to AC/DC type of sound. Someone would think that you should have an all hog guitar with low output pickup to do that... YMMV, my 2p and all that...

That's great, yeah I've read that a few times but I wonder if the inverse is true - can you emulate similar sounds as with the knob around 10 with a mahogany guitar?

I really appreciate all the feedback, gives me a lot of peace of mind about the guitar's capabilities. I think I'll still have to go hear a few to be sure - it's kind of like describing colour. You can be plenty detailed, but seeing it is the final cut :).

LSchefman: Not so much that as the $60/way ferry cost for a car to get off the island, or the $16/way walk-on ferry cost (while lugging a PRS case around for 3-4 hours) makes it a bit more difficult to simply drive to another city to do a tone comparison :). .[/COLOR]

Canada. Not exactly a first-world country...

Here in the US we have these things called "bridges." ;)

I remember Paul saying in a very early interview with Guitar Player magazine that he preferred the Standard. He made a reference to the Q or the resonance, but I can't recall exactly what it was he said. I kept the article and still have it somewhere because it was at that point I decided I wanted a Custom.

I've just realised that although I've owned about ten different models of PRS over the past twenty-plus years, I've never owned a Custom. :eek:

Last edited:
LSchefman: Oh man, don't get me started on that...seems like only on this side of Canada are provincial services there for the sake of themselves.

Adp: I would really appreciate knowing what he said if you have it around! So he ended up affecting your decision?

Last edited:
Canada. Not exactly a first-world country...

Here in the US we have these things called "bridges." ;)

Canada has them too:

http://www.confederationbridge.com/

2.jpg

But, an 8 to 10 mile bridge across the Strait of Georgia would be a very expensive proposition for the limited traffic, unfortunately, and very dangerous (due to the earthquake risks).

You can read a bit more about the challenges here:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/Publications/reports_and_studies/fixed_link/fixed_link.htm

Back to the overarching issue at hand, though:

Unfortunately, outside of the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and metro Montreal, the marketplaces for musical instruments is limited, and there are very few Canadian "cities" near each other to make a not-so-quick jaunt worthwhile (Ottawa to Montreal, Calgary to Edmonton being the major pairs, excluding Toronto-Hamilton in the aforementioned GTA). The OP is lucky enough to be "only" a ferry ride from possible PRSi in Vancouver. If he was in Saskatoon, for example, the local "big chain" guitar store, Long and McQuade, doesn't seem to have any Core Models in stock, only SEs (my limited browsing) - and the other local stores with websites to browse didn't seem to carry PRS at all.

So I feel the OP's pain. Fortunately I now live in Central Florida, where Daytona/Orlando/Tampa are all close enough for those kinds of day-tripper jaunts, and Orlando is "big enough" to get a fair sampling of PRSi - well, used to be, the market is diminishing thanks to GC focusing more on F & G.

On the other hand, I lived in central Illinois for a while, and Chicago was the closest real market, at least a couple of hours drive, more for a good downtown guitar store - St Louis or Indianapolis being less desirable options, I suppose.

Ah, someone who can empathize :)! It's true, a bridge across to Vancouver would be rather long, expensive, and potentially hazardous, but my frustration comes from a recent proposition (taken seriously) to get rid of the ferry route from Nanaimo to Vancouver (thankfully smacked down and called out for be absurd). The problem is the provincial ferry organization seems to treat their services similar to a business, with advertising, sponsorship and the like. They reportedly need "millions of dollars" over the next decade for renovations, which means ferry prices increasing exponentially. And indeed, I am fortunate to live near a bigger city, but it is difficult in this rather spread out country, something I think that's hard to understand if you haven't been/lived around some of the smaller places. If I had easy access to all instruments, I likely wouldn't need to post here :).

As much as I think GC is the Wal-Mart of music stores, it would be nice to at least have one nearby to check things out. I do think moving away from PRS's is a shame, I really do think they offer things that Fender and Gibson don't in many cases (*cough* quality control).

Adp: I would really appreciate knowing what he said if you have it around! So he ended up affecting your decision?

I spent a few minutes looking for the article and found a bunch of stuff I haven't seen in decades but not what I was after, before realising that it must be online somewhere. Sure enough someone at PRS has put it up there. Here you go. It's a good read. Look at the prices! That magazine article has cost me a fortune over the years...

PRSReview1_zpscb1b3dfb.jpg

PRSReview2_zps7e755fa4.jpg

To answer your question, no, he didn't affect my decision in that way. I bought a CE first, then an Archtop, then a Hollowbody, then a McCarty... The range expanded and offered more options. I still would love a vintage yellow Custom for old times' sake. I have a DGT standard though, and it is an awesome-sounding guitar.

Not to thread jack, but how do the \m/ pickups sound in the standard? I have been considering them for mine
Sounds great! I only have the bridge pickup, not the neck though.
Thanks all! I appreciate the input.

vchizzle: That's really interesting, I've always heard people describe all mahogany's as more "muddy" and less clear. "Focused" is interesting.
All a matter of opinion, as everything tone related, but when I had my 5708 Maple top McCarty and my McStandard with 5708s, they weren't massively different. The maple top had a little more high end, but the standard didn't sound muddy by any means.

vchizzle: Good to know! Cleans as well sounded similar?

I suppose I still wonder why Paul discontinued the Standard if he preferred it. I appreciate the article though, thanks for posting.

I did get to mess around with a CU22 yesterday and I actually found the high end almost felt too sharp in comparison (57/08's). Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful and incredible instrument, but it's a few points for the Standard in this round. I'm not sure how much a fan I am of "too high" for guitars, feels like it robs some of the mids and lows. Granted, roll off some volume and tone and it's beautiful, but I still feel like it was more "bark" than "growl" (for distortion), and slightly more "chime" in cleans. Fantastic to have that range available, just not sure if it's worth a few hundred extra at this point.

Maybe I can get them to sponsor me.

"Hey Paul, watch me play the intro to Smoke on the Water".

I suppose I still wonder why Paul discontinued the Standard if he preferred it.

PRSh has made it quite clear that if a model isn't selling, he stops making them. He can then focus on the models that are selling well, looking for ways to improve them, and on developing new models (that will hopefully increase sales but might also cause other models to sell a bit less and eventually get discontinued...).

I spent a few minutes looking for the article and found a bunch of stuff I haven't seen in decades but not what I was after, before realising that it must be online somewhere. Sure enough someone at PRS has put it up there. Here you go. It's a good read. Look at the prices! That magazine article has cost me a fortune over the years...

PRSReview1_zpscb1b3dfb.jpg

PRSReview2_zps7e755fa4.jpg

This article (which I still have from 1986 btw... I'm getting old I know) that started it all for me and kept me dreaming of owning a CU22
for 22 years until in July 2008 got my hands on my first PRS in McCarty burst.
so thank you for the beautiful walk down memory lane.

That makes sense (re: stopping sales).

How would you guys say the CE compares? Would you rather have a CE or Standard, or is it just another apples to oranges thing?

If anyone has any tone examples, or "typical use" examples, I'd appreciate it. I know it's not set in stone, and I'm liking my Standard more and more, I'm just immensely curious.

CE are a different animal. They had other combos too: Alder, Maple/Alder, Maple/Hog, etc. plus they gave bolt on maple necks which can give them more snappy sounds. I definitely see a CE or two in my future too

Bowtie: That's what I figured, good to know. I'd probably grab a CE if I couldn't find a decent custom on sale.

Random question - is the Standard "more" like the Telecaster in terms of tone variety, whereas the CU24 is *more* like a Strat?

That said, I've decided to keep it. I'd consider a trade if someone offered, but I love the feel of the neck and it's the best sounding/feeling guitar I've ever played. Fantastic piece of work, and messing around with amps I'm finding I can more or less get the tone I want. If I wanted something more snappy I'd eventually grab a CE or even a Strat.

Last edited:
I find the Standard to be more SG style. If you want a Strat, definitely check out the DC3 or NF3 (DC3 more comparable)

Bowtie: That's what I figured, good to know. I'd probably grab a CE if I couldn't find a decent custom on sale.

Random question - is the Standard "more" like the Telecaster in terms of tone variety, whereas the CU24 is *more* like a Strat?

That said, I've decided to keep it. I'd consider a trade if someone offered, but I love the feel of the neck and it's the best sounding/feeling guitar I've ever played. Fantastic piece of work, and messing around with amps I'm finding I can more or less get the tone I want. If I wanted something more snappy I'd eventually grab a CE or even a Strat.

A large part of the versatility of these instruments (both custom and standard) are the volume and tone controls.
You'd be surprised how much these can clean up and add flavor to a distorted amp and sound great and versatile without touching the amp.
Check this old video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvTSdH8H12A

For me the difference I find when playing Custom 24 vs a Standard 24 (with the same HFS / Vintage bass pickups) is the the custom is nicer to look at (for some) and a little brighter, but the standard has a nice midrange and ring to it that I love. I especially like the series of the Satin Standard 24s.

Thanks for the video. I have noticed that actually - if I crank the treble up on the amp I can rely far more heavily on the tone control and volume/pickups and it makes quite a difference. I can actually get it to sound more top-endy if I want, quite easily. I love clean jazzy tones, as well as the growl this thing puts out.

The Customs I've heard do sound a tad brighter, but I'm more convinced now of tonewoods not being the "end all". I feel like newer D'Addario strings, a proper setup, amp/pedal selection, and my picking technique have done more for tone variety on the guitar than whether or not it's maple topped. Custom 24's with the same pickups sound quite similar. I think the 58's/59's are what sound brighter to a large degree, no?

The Satin one's are definitely nice, and I'm not much of a solid/sparkly fan but I'm loving this one more and more. The "regular" neck feels absolutely perfect. Sliiiightly large for legato stuff on low frets but it feels pristine otherwise. Haven't found a neck I've loved this much before. Makes playing an Ibanez feel like a piece of paper.

Back