S2 Standard 24 pickguard on an S2 Custom 24?

CivoLee

I am really not a fan of the asymmetrical beveling on the S2 Customs/Standards, but the pickguards on the latter do help a lot. That said, what the pickguard giveth, the dot inlays taketh take away as far as aesthetics go for me. Sure, a handful of S2 Standards with bird inlays were available when the S2s were first released, but good luck finding them at a fair price, if at all.

Would it be possible to put a S2 Standard pickguard on a Custom? From what I can tell the controls are in the same place. I know it'd be a permanent mod since holes would need to be drilled and that would take a large chunk out of the guitar's potential resale value. I'm also not sure if it would be a DIY job for me as I don't own a drill and have little experience with power tools in general. I've changed a set of tuners on an Epiphone Les Paul by hand, but I think it had a softer mahogany headstock.

I'm not sure why they didn't put pickguard on the S2 Customs as well as the Standards. Sure, it'd look different from the Core CU24 and it covers the figured top a bit, but some older PRS models like the EGs and Mira Maple Top had pickguards and looked fine.

Sure, a handful of S2 Standards with bird inlays were available when the S2s were first released, but good luck finding them at a fair price, if at all.
I've been looking at the s2 standard lately, and they're out there with birds and not at a mark up. I can think of a couple I saw on GC website off the top of my head. One was even on sale.

My guess is the added thickness of the pickguard would prevent the pickup selector from having its full range of motion. It is possible that the blade is long enough to have clearance. The volume and tone might have the same problem. You might be able to get pots with longer shafts, but I don’t know about the three way blade. My guess is the backplate is roughly the same thickness as the pickguard. You can use that to see if the blade has clearance. Testing the clearance of the pots would take a little more work.

Looking at the Custom 24 compared to the Standard 24, I don’t think the controls will line up. They are close, but not the same.

That beveled top on the S2s makes those guitars extremely comfortable to play standing and sitting alike....I have 3 standard 22s and a Mira and vela....all under 7lbs theyre my favorite in the line at that price point....if you like 24 frets GC used has some standards for under 800 bucks they come up all the time...

Back