CU24 Favorite Pickups?

frankencat

Guitarded
What are favorite pups in the CU24?
I have had…
Dragon II’s
Seymour Duncan Jazz/CustomCustom
85/15

They each ave their charms. 85/15 is my current fave however I am contemplating changing out the bridge pickup.

59/09’s in my post 2000’s, Vintage bass (yup the old dog) and Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge on all my pre 2000’s. I do have one CU24 a 2022 with 85/15 Not A Fan, never have been.

Hands down the 5909 in my Cu24. Phenomenal sounding guitar.

Like the 57/08 in the bridge. For the neck I deflinately prefer the wolfetone marshallhead mk2 in my cu22. I even might prefer the dragon 2 neck. As you have guessed: I like my neck PU slimmer limbed than the bridge

Man, I really liked the 57/08 & 59/09 combo for a while. But I have to say the BKP Polymaths are fantastic!

BqR7b1a.jpg

I have had…
Dragon II’s
85/15

They each ave their charms. 85/15 is my current fave however I am contemplating changing out the bridge pickup.
For what I play, the 85/15s have worked best for me, too. I like them a lot!

Depends On The Specific Guitar In My Case (No Pun Intended).

I've never owned a CU24 but I've owned a '95 and '02 CU22. Wrap around Bridge/Tailpiece...not a Vibrato.

The original Dragon I's were the best pickups I had in the '95.

Suhr SSV and SSH+ pickups can do much of the same thing as the Dragon I's. I have them in my '00 CE22.

I replaced the Dragon II's in my '02 CU22 with Duncan Antiquitys and when I eventually sold the guitar I offered to put the Dragon II's back in for the new owner. He said "No way. I like what you've done to this guitar."

For me, if you have a non-vibrato PRS and like the sound of 50's Gibson Les Pauls, the PRS 57/08 is the best for that.

If you want something more modern I like the BKP Abraxas set almost as much as the 57/08's.

And if you don't mind using your guitar's tone control to shape your tone and roll off some treble, a Duncan 59B as the neck pickup and JB as the bridge pickup is a killer rock pickup set in a PRS, and affordable.

I have had…
Dragon II’s
85/15

I put 8515s in my McCarty. The neck is incredible but the bridge was just blah.

My problem has been finding a bridge pickup that matches up with the 8515 neck.

Owned one with 57/08s , I know where it lives :) Great pairing IMHO
I have had/have 2 with VB/HFS and with the rotary its a stunning combo , Strat to face melting
I know a guy that owns a few with Suhr Aldrich pickups and they sound stunning !!!!

Owned one with 57/08s , I know where it lives :) Great pairing IMHO
I have had/have 2 with VB/HFS and with the rotary its a stunning combo , Strat to face melting
I know a guy that owns a few with Suhr Aldrich pickups and they sound stunning !!!!
I used to have a 98 CU24 rotary and HFS/VB.

I put a SD Custom Custom in the bridge of it a few years before I sold it. It was killer!

I used to have a 98 CU24 rotary and HFS/VB.

I put a SD Custom Custom in the bridge of it a few years before I sold it. It was killer!
VHS/VB in my CE24 were not my favourites. But then again: I changed from hotter PUs to lower output ones about 10 yrs ago. Must be getting old.

Both my Custom and Standard 24s have Dragon 1s in them. Not changing.
Why would you?

Wish I had a spare set to put in my '00 CE22.

I like the Suhrs I have in it better than the Dragon II's, but I like the Dragon I's better than either.

I got out my '97 CE22 with Dragon I's and did some rocking and comparing yesterday.

Absolutely my favoriute rock pickup set. Not my favorite for Blues and British blues, but my favorite for Rock,

Paul made a mistake discontinuing them.

They'd sell well as an aftermarket pickup.

No pickup other than a Dragon I bridge pickup gets that dense but musical sound that makes playing overdriven rock solos so effortless.

Other pickups can do it too, but they don't sound exactly like the Dragon I.

Last edited:
Back