Core DGT & Core Custom 24 pickup swaps?

Jbyrd78

I'm looking at doing some pickup swaps on my Core DGT & 1997 Custom 24. Currently my DGT is stock, and my 97 CU24 has a set of 59/09's installed in it. Both guitars sound great, butI have all the pickups listed below sitting around, and the curiosity that has me wondering.

I'm sure there are atleast a handle full of people on here who have installed some of the pickups listed that I'm pondering installing. So I thought I'd ask what the experience was for you guys when you swapped the pickups? Both guitars are set up in E standard/ drop D and are strung with 10's-48's

Core DGT :
- PRS 59/09 squabbin set
- PRS 59/09 bridge & \m/ neck pickup (squabbin's)
- Wolfetone Marshallhead set
- PRS \m/ bridge pickup (covered)

Core Custom 24:
- PRS DGT pickup set
- PRS \m/ pickup & VB pickup (covered or uncovered)
- PRS #7 pickup set
- PRS Dragon II set
- Seymour Duncan Pegasus & Sentient set
- Seymour Duncan Distortion & Seymour Duncan Jazz

I know it will sound funny to many BUT the 59/09s will sound killer in the DGT and I bet the DGTs will sound killer in the CU24
I put McCartys in my CU22 and loved the results and my DGT came with Mira pickups ( brighter than DGTs ) and i think 59/09s are in that same family.

I'm looking at doing some pickup swaps on my Core DGT & 1997 Custom 24. Currently my DGT is stock, and my 97 CU24 has a set of 59/09's installed in it. Both guitars sound great, butI have all the pickups listed below sitting around, and the curiosity that has me wondering.

I'm sure there are atleast a handle full of people on here who have installed some of the pickups listed that I'm pondering installing. So I thought I'd ask what the experience was for you guys when you swapped the pickups? Both guitars are set up in E standard/ drop D and are strung with 10's-48's

Core DGT :
- PRS 59/09 squabbin set
- PRS 59/09 bridge & \m/ neck pickup (squabbin's)
- PRS \m/ bridge pickup (covered)

Core Custom 24:
- PRS DGT pickup set
- PRS \m/ pickup & VB pickup (covered or uncovered)
- PRS #7 pickup set
- PRS Dragon II set
- Seymour Duncan Pegasus & Sentient set
- Seymour Duncan Distortion & Seymour Duncan Jazz
How did you end up with all of those pups?

I know it will sound funny to many BUT the 59/09s will sound killer in the DGT and I bet the DGTs will sound killer in the CU24
I put McCartys in my CU22 and loved the results and my DGT came with Mira pickups ( brighter than DGTs ) and i think 59/09s are in that same family.
It doesn't sound funny b/c I was thinking of that same setup. I also thought about putting the DGT neck pickup in the Custom 24, and a \m/ pickup in the bridge position and seeing what results I get.

A similar thought had crossed my mind.

The 85/15 TCI pickups sound fabulous in my my CE24... which got me wondering how they'd fair in the DGT.

For me however, the DGT represents a new "vintage" guitar, while the CE24 is my Super-Strat. And I like it that way :D

I had three or four different pickups in my DGT, I did not get along with the Grissom pickups. it seemed like too many mids,
I definitely wanted it to be vintage 8 to 9K winding

I put the 5909 in but that had too much distortion a little too hot. I tried the 8515 that was close, but something was missing.
Then I tried to 5708's which were much closer to what I wanted, the alnico II's, were a little bit too mushy not quite tight enough.

So after reviewing what is the best PAF pickup I put the bareknuckle mules (neck and bridge) which are alnico IV, they sounded identical to the 5708's, I believe the mules measure 8.7 ohms approximately.

but very tight bottom and tight power chords, and beautiful harmonic sparkly cleans, just beautiful blooming harmonics with the crunch gain, I do think the circuit and the tone/volume knobs are part of finding the perfect pickup for the D GT

The split tones are utterly fantastic I probably play the guitar 70% with the coil tap engaged.

I have never considered taking them out they have been in there for four years now, the mules really make the guitar and circuitry spectacular.

Good luck

Experiment # 1: Seymour Duncan "Pegasus & Sentient" pickups in the Custom 24.

The Seymour Duncan "Pegasus & Sentient" set I have lying around come stock with A5 magnet's. These pickups are a medium output set. The bridge reads at 12.5k & the neck reads 7.75/ 7.8k. The best way to describe this set in stock form is bright and bassy. I ended up swapping the stock A5's with a set of rough cast A4's from addictionfx. All I have to say is WOW! Those A4 mags took the blanket off the tone the A5 mags was hiding, and showed what that pickup set really had to offer!

I have since ordered 3 more sets of rough cast A4 magnets because I want to experiment with the sets of 85/15 TCI's & a set of 59/09's that I have and see what kind of results I get.

Next up: Wolfetone Marshallhead's w/ rough cast A4 magnets in the Custom 24 & a set of Greenville "Notorious " pickups in my Core DGT.

Back