Chime machine?

Define 'chime'. For me, that would be a Rickenbacker.

Yes, I'm unusual. Yes, it's wrong for me to suggest that on this forum.

I forgot to reply to this. For me, ‘chime’ is a sharper attack, bright, but with some grit and harmonics in those upper midrange and treble frequencies. I think it combines well with a ‘plunky’ guitar tone, but there are probably a number of guitar setups that can get you that. I keep coming back to Matchless on the amp side.

I forgot to reply to this. For me, ‘chime’ is a sharper attack, bright, but with some grit and harmonics in those upper midrange and treble frequencies. I think it combines well with a ‘plunky’ guitar tone, but there are probably a number of guitar setups that can get you that. I keep coming back to Matchless on the amp side.
I totally agree with Matchless (or Bad Cat, Vox, Morgan versions of the Vox style) being a great exemplar of chimey amp. It's that "crushed glass" sound, which is exactly what you've described, grit and harmonics in upper mids and treble.

And yup, you definitely get chime from any number of guitars that have a brighter tone.

I mention Rickenbacker primarily because It's got a bit of jangle to add to the chime.

When you guys use the phrase 'chime', what exactly do you mean? Can you give some song sound examples for me?

I think Jeff Buckley’s tele when i think of chime. Such a great sound. Much different than a twang that a tele is used for in country (an oversimplification I’m sure)

Did someone say chime? ;)

QYoC5sw.jpg
Is this stock? I need this!

Is this stock? I need this!

No, not at all. Haha! It did come stock with the Bigsby, Phase 2 tuners and ebony board. I added: core nut, core Starla pickups, Callaham string through bar, Callaham roller bar, tonepros roller bridge, and push/push pot to split the neck pickup

No, not at all. Haha! It did come stock with the Bigsby, Phase 2 tuners and ebony board. I added: core nut, core Starla pickups, Callaham string through bar, Callaham roller bar, tonepros roller bridge, and push/push pot to split the neck pickup
Great! But what model/run is it originally? I have an SE Semi Hollow HB with stoptail that I cherish, I've always been on the lookout for something like that!

Great! But what model/run is it originally? I have an SE Semi Hollow HB with stoptail that I cherish, I've always been on the lookout for something like that!

Ahhhh sorry. It’s the SE Custom Semi Hollow limited run. They did the red sparkle, silver sparkle, red flame maple and black top.

Back