Chime machine?

Johnny Rigs

"Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson
I've been digging the idea of a guitar that can bring the chime. Thought about trying a Gretsch, but, well, I'm on this forum for a reason.. So I'd like to keep it in the family. There's maybe a Starla, but I was thinking of something ... hollower, and lighter. A satin semi-hollow Vela might work with maybe some new pickups - say a Firebird up front and I was eyeing a McNelly Stagger Swagger in the bridge. There's also the idea of a Hollowbody with HB-size Filtertrons in them.

Well, that's the brightest my ideas get. Anyone got something a bit brighter, or have some experience in this area?

I've got a Country Gentlemen as well as 3 custom semi's with Filtertrons that all chime for days, that being said with the ability to split the pickups the 594 HB II and Special Semi can keep up in that dept with no problem , especially with a maple neck

Got myself a starla to scratch the gretch itch. But my most organnic sounding chime machine is actually a low output P90 McCarty Korina. Got a set of wolfetone mean and underwound mean (latter with alnivo V) to replace the hot SD it came with. Not your traditional chime, but something to explore.

Man, I have been jonesing for jangle and chime in a PRS package as well lately. I have gone back and forth with the idea of putting some humbucker size Filtertrons in my JA-15. The problem is, the 53/10's in that guitar sound glorious, so I don't know if I want to mess with it....

Man, I have been jonesing for jangle and chime in a PRS package as well lately. I have gone back and forth with the idea of putting some humbucker size Filtertrons in my JA-15. The problem is, the 53/10's in that guitar sound glorious, so I don't know if I want to mess with it....
I feel the same way about my Johnny Hiland which has a 53/10 set in it.

Last edited:
Maybe something like this?

I have a Vela with a TV Jones Power’Tron in the bridge and a K-Line Firebird in the neck and it’s got great chime with just the right amount of guts. The stock pickups gave me even more chime and sounded great, I just needed a touch more guts in the bridge position. If the stock pickups in the Vela don’t cut it for you but you want to bring the chime, I’d say a TV Jones Classic Plus (or even a Classic) in the bridge and a Firebird pickup in the neck will be hard to beat. Or do the Power’Tron like I did if you want a touch more mids in the bridge.

Last edited:
Did someone say chime? ;)

QYoC5sw.jpg

So I think the ticket will require 2 or 3 pieces. 1) Vela Satin Semi-Hollow, 2) Firebird bass pickup and some complimentary treble pickup, 3) a Vox tone out of the Synergy preamp system I use, or a UA Ruby.

So I think the ticket will require 2 or 3 pieces. 1) Vela Satin Semi-Hollow, 2) Firebird bass pickup and some complimentary treble pickup, 3) a Vox tone out of the Synergy preamp system I use, or a UA Ruby.

So that was my plan with my Vela before I stupidly sold it. (I will have another). Firebird neck pickup with my spare 57/08 treble

I would second the Filtertron recommendation, although the standard size requires an adapted mounting ring to mount in an HB-routed body. I believe Fralin (who makes not a single bad pickup on Earth) makes a Filtertron-style pickup in an HB-sized cover. The more critical ingredient for chime, however, may be the amplifier you're playing through. Think AC15/30, Trainwreck Liverpool/Rocket, or Mesa Lonestar (discontinued). Something with EL84s.

Does a firebird really offer more chime when compared to the default neck pickup? I understand a firebird will give you more spank when compared to a humbucker

Does a firebird really offer more chime when compared to the default neck pickup? I understand a firebird will give you more spank when compared to a humbucker
I’d be replacing the neck pickup to get hum cancellation. Single coils can get pretty noisy at my location unfortunately.

Back