PRS 57/08 Treble in Tremonti or leave it alone?

I am wondering what the resistance of your new 57/08 pickup reads. Mine showed up today and I did a quick measurement on it and it is pretty low. Mine measures out at 8.32k.

Wow! My highest 5708 is from the accessory store and it's much higher than yours and.the rest of mine, 9.35.

Interesting though, the TCI set I just picked up reads 8.58

Looking forward to what PRS says. I'm with you. I love the 5708 and have then in multiple guitars. I thought I had it figured out what to expect from the various years and versions. This throws that logic out the window. The TCI readings really surprised me too.

Can you do me a favor? Do you have an ohms meter handy? I am wondering what the resistance of your new 57/08 pickup reads. Mine showed up today and I did a quick measurement on it and it is pretty low. Mine measures out at 8.32k. I sent PRS an email letting them know this is quite a bit less than advertised on the website and asked if it is normal to get one this far from spec. The measurement on this one is lower than my 2 wire versions from years ago. In fact, it is the lowest measuring 57/08 out of the 7 sets I have. It is more than the 58/15 LT that is in my guitar right now but still way less than what I expected.
So mine is measuring out at 8.78k. I know they can vary a little and readings between meters can vary a tad as well. The meter I am using is pretty old but it measures consistent every time. I was hoping to see at least 9 or little over though.

While it was at it I decided to measure my Tremonti pickups just to see what they were and the bridge measured at 15.4 on the dot. The neck was 7.31k so right at the advertised 7.4k.

I’m interested to see what PRS’ response will be to your email.

Last edited:
Wow! My highest 5708 is from the accessory store and it's much higher than yours and.the rest of mine, 9.35.

Interesting though, the TCI set I just picked up reads 8.58

Looking forward to what PRS says. I'm with you. I love the 5708 and have then in multiple guitars. I thought I had it figured out what to expect from the various years and versions. This throws that logic out the window. The TCI readings really surprised me too.
I thought I had figured out what to expect too. The other set I bought from the accessories store back in 2017 are much higher than this one. That set measures 9.27k for the bridge and 8.58k for the neck. The oldest set I have from back in 2009 are two wire versions and they measure higher than this. That bridge pickup measures 8.95k. Where this concerns me is that the set in my 594 are the ones I bought in 2017. They definitely sound different than my older versions. They push OD pedals just a little bit more. I really like what they do and that is what I was expecting to get this time. I have the feeling that if I put this pickup in, it is going to be more like the one in my CU22 than the one in my 594.

It all boils down to what your tone is . Of all my guitars the 57/08 is one of my very favorites , warm and rich , decent sparkly split.

It all boils down to what your tone is . Of all my guitars the 57/08 is one of my very favorites , warm and rich , decent sparkly split.
The 57/08s are absolutely my favorite pickups of any manufacturer. I was lucky enough to buy a number of guitars that came stock with them. I have swapped them into 3 of my other PRS guitars. Off the top of my head, I can think of 7 PRS guitars that I have them in. I actually just thought of an 8th guitar I have them in and that is the P22 Trem. It has uncoverd 57/08s in it. They are also hotter like the ones that I purchased for my 594.

Well despite the pickup reading a little lower than I was expecting I was able to get it installed last night. I am definitely satisfied with it for sure, I think it is going to be exactly what I was after. I played around with the pickup height some this morning before heading out and learned that it is very sensitive to the smallest of adjustments but I think I got it where I like it, definitely will have to play around with it a little more to be sure.

I would say that overall it meets my expectations at the moment. I knew going from the Tremonti pickup to anything lower output would be different, and it is, but in a good way. It is a really good match with the Tremonti neck pickup and the middle position is surprisingly sweet. Its also nice to be able to get a nice clean bridge tone or a lightly overdriven tone without it pushing to higher gain so quickly, but at the same time it seems to handle the higher gain stuff great as well when I tried it out. The Tremonti pickup would overdrive the cleanest of amp setting most of the time.

We have practice this evening and I will be able to get a better feel for it in a band setting. I'm looking forward to really testing it out tonight.

Well despite the pickup reading a little lower than I was expecting I was able to get it installed last night. I am definitely satisfied with it for sure, I think it is going to be exactly what I was after. I played around with the pickup height some this morning before heading out and learned that it is very sensitive to the smallest of adjustments but I think I got it where I like it, definitely will have to play around with it a little more to be sure.

I would say that overall it meets my expectations at the moment. I knew going from the Tremonti pickup to anything lower output would be different, and it is, but in a good way. It is a really good match with the Tremonti neck pickup and the middle position is surprisingly sweet. Its also nice to be able to get a nice clean bridge tone or a lightly overdriven tone without it pushing to higher gain so quickly, but at the same time it seems to handle the higher gain stuff great as well when I tried it out. The Tremonti pickup would overdrive the cleanest of amp setting most of the time.

We have practice this evening and I will be able to get a better feel for it in a band setting. I'm looking forward to really testing it out tonight.
This post reminds me of how I felt when I got my CU22 back from the PTC with the 57/08s in it. They transformed the guitar from something I struggled with to something I really like a lot. Good to hear this worked out well for you. The 57/08 pickups are my favorite pickup of all manufacturers I have tried.

I had another thought about my situation this morning. I will probably post that over in my thread about the Studio guitar I am referring to.

Well....No practice tonight after all, there's some sickness going around the group and we had to cancel till neck week....bummer. But, this will give me some more time to tinker at home and continue to dial things in to my liking!

Still curious as to what PRS is going to say when they respond...the suspense of waiting on an email......

Well....No practice tonight after all, there's some sickness going around the group and we had to cancel till neck week....bummer. But, this will give me some more time to tinker at home and continue to dial things in to my liking!

Still curious as to what PRS is going to say when they respond...the suspense of waiting on an email......
I know. I have checked my email more times today than I ever do.

I replaced the pickups in my Tremonti with a BKP Riff Raff bridge / Mule neck pair. They sound awesome. Ceramic pickups don’t do it for me, so there you go. But a 57/08 would be fantastic.

So I also ended up emailing PRS in regards to the lower than advertised DC resistance rating of the 57/08. Apparently the accessories website had not been updated to reflect the current offerings, looks like it has since been updated with the numbers below in the response I received.

Hey Jacob,

The current DC-resistance measurements of 57/08 pickups are as follows:

Bass, 8.5k
Treble, 8.9k

Our pickups will have a + 0.4k tolerance on DC-resistance.

Specifications are subject to change without prior notification, and I do apologize for not having updated information on our Accessories Webpage. Let me know if you're interested in setting up a return for credit for the pickup and we'll provide next steps.

Regards,
Ryan

So I also ended up emailing PRS in regards to the lower than advertised DC resistance rating of the 57/08. Apparently the accessories website had not been updated to reflect the current offerings, looks like it has since been updated with the numbers below in the response I received.

Hey Jacob,

Bass, 8.5k
Treble, 8.9k

Specifications are subject to change without prior notification, and I do apologize for not having updated information on our Accessories Webpage. Let me know if you're interested in setting up a return for credit for the pickup and we'll provide next steps.

Regards,
Ryan
They still have not answered my email. The pickup I received is below the .4k tolerance. If I don't get a response by sometime this afternoon, I will send another.

Bass, 8.5k
Treble, 8.9k

Appreciate you posting this info. Looks like I'm back in the camp of 5909 and 5708/5815LT combo as king! My hot 5708 bridge truly gives the 5909 a run for its money. I still like all of my 5708 bridge pickups, but generally I prefer the 5909.

I finally received an answer on the email. They gave me essentially the same information that they gave @jdj89. However, since the pickup I received is out of spec, they are asking me if I want to return it. I told them that I want one of these pickups and bought this on sale so I would be interested in sending it back for a replacement. We shall see where it goes. I decided to leave the stock pickup in the guitar for a while before trying this one in it so if it takes a little time to swap it, I am okay with it.

Hey Jacob,

Bass, 8.5k
Treble, 8.9k

Regards,
Ryan

I finally received an answer on the email. They gave me essentially the same information that they gave @jdj89. However, since the pickup I received is out of spec, they are asking me if I want to return it. I told them that I want one of these pickups and bought this on sale so I would be interested in sending it back for a replacement. We shall see where it goes. I decided to leave the stock pickup in the guitar for a while before trying this one in it so if it takes a little time to swap it, I am okay with it.

They've updated the specs on the website. 8.9!

They've updated the specs on the website. 8.9!
Yep, with a .4k variance. I measured mine again today after receiving a reply and it measured 8.3k today, which is out of spec. I am just wondering how much that .6k makes a difference. It would be the lowest measuring 57/08 treble pickup I would own and that includes the old version I have.

Yep, with a .4k variance. I measured mine again today after receiving a reply and it measured 8.3k today, which is out of spec. I am just wondering how much that .6k makes a difference. It would be the lowest measuring 57/08 treble pickup I would own and that includes the old version I have.
That's made a difference to me for 5708 and others. It's a make or break variance to me, especially lower in the bridge. My 9.3ish 5708 is perfect. To generalize I typically favor 9.0 or greater in the bridge.

Interesting PRS said .4 variance, considering old accessory store spec was 9.3 and new accessory store is 8.9. Coincidence?

That's made a difference to me for 5708 and others. It's a make or break variance to me, especially lower in the bridge. My 9.3ish 5708 is perfect. To generalize I typically favor 9.0 or greater in the bridge.

Interesting PRS said .4 variance, considering old accessory store spec was 9.3 and new accessory store is 8.9. Coincidence?
I was really hoping to get one that measures close to the bridge pickup in the set I put in my 594. It measures 9.27. That is the hottest one I have and I like how it works with my amps and pedals. They said they can try to pull one that measures higher for me if I sent this one back. I am waiting on the next step confirmation from them. I am still not hating the stock pickup in the guitar right now so I wasn't going to put it in for a while anyway. I only bought it because they were on sale. I would have waited for a while before I bought it if they went on sale more often.

Back