Can you share your 85/15s pickup height measurements?

Duvupov

I just got my first PRS SE Custom 24 2021 model. I'm still dialing in the sound. I read a lot about how sensitive to height these pickups are on this forum, but can't find people sharing their measurements.

One thing I noticed is that the neck and the middle position sound VERY similar. The difference is very subtle. Like the neck pickup is dominant in that position. Is this the nature of a 24 fret guitar with this scale length? Or should I let a tech check my switch/electronics? Play my amp louder?

I don't use measurements for any pickups. I dial them all in by ear. I lower the pickup flush with the pickup ring, body, or guard and go up/down in full, 1/2, and 1/4 turns until they sound best to me. I then move to the next. Check the volume levels between the two and how blended positions sound.. adjust accordingly to preferences.

Then a couple days later I check again with fresh ears. This method hasn't failed me yet.

It helps to use a marking as a reference point on the screwdriver for turns or put one there if your screwdriver doesn't have a marking.

For me, pickup height is a personal taste thing, plus individual guitars of the same model can even sound a bit different from one another.

On my CU24 PS, I found that the pickup heights set at the factory suited me well. I haven't measured them, but I think PRS publishes the height they adjust them to at the factory on their support page.

Does the minimal difference in sound between neck and middle position mean that there's something off in the height?

I have my neck pickup pretty low. About flush with the pickup ring. Next string change I'm going to check how long the screws are and how low I can go. No idea what the distance from the strings is, but I could measure that sometime.

Back