Build your $3,000 dream rig

Honestly, I don’t have a clue why you addressed this little sermon to me. You’ve made some assumptions about my “viewpoint” that are presumptuous and, frankly, obnoxious. Yet you know nothing about me.

First, I left a very lucrative law practice 30 years ago, where I was managing partner, to go into the music business, and do something that made me happy. No one realizes more than I do that simply pursuing money isn’t a recipe for happiness.

I’m one of very few here full time in the music business. I use my gear in connection with my livelihood. I get good stuff because I think using good stuff gives me an edge in that business, and suits my workflow. And because I also like it.

Perhaps before offering unsolicited advice, think about whether it’s a good idea to presume other folks’ values based on a few tongue-in-cheek internet posts.

If you want to get all preachy and pretend that you’re somehow the fount of all wisdom, have at it, but leave me out of it.

Les, it's nothing personal about you. You just happened to mention a $20K luxury budget compared to $3K, and it tweaked my jimmies.

Our current state where I live is experiencing similar issues with its budget and all the talk we hear is mostly about how folks are trying to get laws passed that include pork barrel this and that. There is a relatively large hue and cry about why we need to balance a budget, and why the lower and middle classes are seemingly being forced to pay more for previous generations' inept budgeting.

Please accept my apologies for singling you out for thinking everyone should have a $20K rig. It tweaked my jimmies, Les, because there are very few people in our state who work lower and lower middle class jobs that can even dream about such a rig without knocking over a bank or string of convenience stores in order to fund their dream rig. And doncha know the disturbing part is, crime doesn't pay. You know that better than most folks who are not associated with law.

That being said, I'm personally happy you chose a career that allows you to be happier than your former job. With your position likely comes privileges, but this is not about you or your stuff. My feeling are for the folks who own perhaps an SE or inexpensive amp, and are happy with that, because that's all their budget allows. Just think how these folks feel when someone mentions building a very expensive rig they can neither afford nor even dream about.

All I might ask you to do is consider these folks before writing about putting together a $20K rig, IOW, put yourself in their shoes. If I do know you well enough, you've likely already thought about that and are concerned that I've even brought up the topic. Again, sorry that if my words hit a little close to home. Your words did the same to me, and likely to some other folks who are not speaking up. FTR, I know of your kindness the recent past, and I sincerely hope you'll forgive someone like myself who felt "tweaked" when some may enjoy luxury, while others may not.

All I might ask you to do is consider these folks before writing about putting together a $20K rig, IOW, put yourself in their shoes. If I do know you well enough, you've likely already thought about that and are concerned that I've even brought up the topic. Again, sorry that if my words hit a little close to home. Your words did the same to me, and likely to some other folks who are not speaking up. FTR, I know of your kindness the recent past, and I sincerely hope you'll forgive someone like myself who felt "tweaked" when some may enjoy luxury, while others may not.

You really ought to drop this whiny load of passive-aggressive bull crap somewhere else. I’m not buyin’ it.

Les, it's nothing personal about you. You just happened to mention a $20K luxury budget compared to $3K, and it tweaked my jimmies.

Our current state where I live is experiencing similar issues with its budget and all the talk we hear is mostly about how folks are trying to get laws passed that include pork barrel this and that. There is a relatively large hue and cry about why we need to balance a budget, and why the lower and middle classes are seemingly being forced to pay more for previous generations' inept budgeting.

Please accept my apologies for singling you out for thinking everyone should have a $20K rig. It tweaked my jimmies, Les, because there are very few people in our state who work lower and lower middle class jobs that can even dream about such a rig without knocking over a bank or string of convenience stores in order to fund their dream rig. And doncha know the disturbing part is, crime doesn't pay. You know that better than most folks who are not associated with law.

That being said, I'm personally happy you chose a career that allows you to be happier than your former job. With your position likely comes privileges, but this is not about you or your stuff. My feeling are for the folks who own perhaps an SE or inexpensive amp, and are happy with that, because that's all their budget allows. Just think how these folks feel when someone mentions building a very expensive rig they can neither afford nor even dream about.

This is from the original post for this thread...

What if you had $1,000 for a guitar, $1,000 for an amp, and $1,000 for pedals.

So, let's have some fun.
Let's just imagine that we're all building a complete rig from scratch. Your picks, strings, cables, strap/locks, slide, and pedalboard are all covered. You already have them.

What you need, is a guitar, amp, and pedals.

Your budget is 3,000 whatever your currency is. (Americans use the dollar, Brits use the Pound, Europeans use the Euro, etc).
Let's not get caught up in exchange rate. Your budget is 3 Grand, and you can spend your money any way you like.

"Let's have some fun"

That's all this is about. It's completely irrelevant who has what, or who can afford what. It's What would you do with $3000 to spend on gear. Someone chimed in that they'd need $20,000. SO WHAT. "You can spend your money any way you like"

So let's chill out and have some fun dreaming about what gear we'd spend imaginary money on, heh?:)

This is from the original post for this thread...

"Let's have some fun"

That's all this is about. It's completely irrelevant who has what, or who can afford what. It's What would you do with $3000 to spend on gear. Someone chimed in that they'd need $20,000. SO WHAT. "You can spend your money any way you like"

So let's chill out and have some fun dreaming about what gear we'd spend imaginary money on, heh?:)

Mebbe. While acquiring gear is fun, I still can think of better ways to spend $3000 on. But tonight, it's another evening of rearranging my sock drawer. Have fun, folks.

I always get a kick out of any kind of "what is your one favorite" or "what is the one best" or even "name your top 3..." or what is the single best guitar (or amp) for $1000" type threads. Especially at TGP. Just last week there was a "name your 1 favorite OD pedal you've ever used" thread and I think the average poster was naming around 4 with some guys naming 10 pedals. I always put some kind of reply in those threads when I see them like "good thing your wife didn't ask you who your #1 favorite woman was" or something. Almost NOBODY ever does what is asked. You say "what is the best amp under $1000" and guys will list 5 of them per poster. You say "name only one favorite" of something, they will still like 3-4 almost every time.

So, to say "what's your $3K dream rig, I'd expect to see guys going up to $5K or something, but only at the PRS forum do we blow right through to $20K, because the PRS forum DON'T MESS AROUND! :p

And don't you forget it!
:D Only at the PRS forum does someone say "post a pic of your very favorite Marshall amp" or "post your favorite Private Stock... and get a picture with 50 of them! :eek: :cool:

There's a thread at TPG that started two weeks ago saying something like "who can afford a Private Stock these days?" I had to laugh. Not because I can, but, because rumor has it that they are actually selling a couple of them. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back