Bridge Adjustment Question SC58

cwgatti

Just got a new SC58.
Brand new although it's a 2012. Everything is perfect except the action is too high. I was asking around and I was told it is as simple as lowering the saddle bridge. Is this something I can easily do myself or is it something I should have a pro do?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

You should be fine, just take care to grip the screwdriver so you don't drop it and ding up the top. Happens easily if your not mindful of it.

Also, like all adjustments on a guitar, go slow. Don't make any drastic adjustments at once. Small amounts, retune, check playability, continue to adjust if needed.

I don't have two piece bridges, I have all stoptails. But I like to set the bridges really, really low. Actually most of my bridges are down all the way. Then I actually use the truss rod to get action where I like it, which is extremely low. Most people who play my guitars feel like they're too buzzy, but to me they sound great through an amp and are much easier to play. I know it's out of PRS spec but I'm sure it's not hurting anything and its just personal preference.

Try lowering the bridge until the higher frets begin to buzz, then bring it back up so they don't buzz anymore. The playability of those upper frets should only be affected by the bridge, and not the neck (more or less). The middle to lower frets will be affected by the truss rod, as well as the bridge. If you think you need the neck adjusted, have a tech do it or do a bunch of research, youtube videos and whatnot before you get in there. You can get in trouble with that if you don't know what the deal is.

Last edited:
Oh jesus. I don't even know where to start. I can't seem to post here anymore without being attacked. I'm out of here. And go on and rip on me for saying that...Peace out.

Don't be so touchy.

There is a reason PRS publishes factory specs. It gives people a qualified baseline from which to make their own adjustments to suit their own style of playing.

If you like your guitars out of PRS spec - your words - fine. But that isn't very good advice for someone looking to learn how to adjust their own guitar.

Look at it this way, if the torque specification for a nut is 30 Ncm, but you personally like things really tight, it's not helpful to tell someone just learning to tighten that puppy to 45 Ncm.

It is a great idea to follow the PRS instructions but there are none I found for the 2 price bridge , on my SC58 the neck was to flat ( not enough relief ) since the SC58 has larger frets that my other PRSi I found for me it need a bit extra relief ( .011 vs .010 ) then loosen strings and lower the bridge, retune and check again for me it was one of my tougher PRS to get just so but after a bit of fiddling it is a great player

Bridge height specs for PRS are pretty consistent across the bridge types at

"When setting the action at the 12th fret the string height should be 2/32" on the treble side to 5/64" on the bass side."

The two piece bridge doesn't need a screwdriver. Just manually twist the "dial" type screws under the piece that has the string guides. I loosened the strings, and gradually dropped it (and re-tuned). I got it a lot closer to where it should be and the intonation was not affected at all. I am gonna bring it to a guy and get it set up properly soon. Shouldn't have to do that with a $3000+ new guitar...never had that problem with my Hamers.

The two piece bridge doesn't need a screwdriver. Just manually twist the "dial" type screws under the piece that has the string guides. I loosened the strings, and gradually dropped it (and re-tuned). I got it a lot closer to where it should be and the intonation was not affected at all. I am gonna bring it to a guy and get it set up properly soon. Shouldn't have to do that with a $3000+ new guitar...never had that problem with my Hamers.

Were you the first person ever to touch your guitar since it came from the factory? You're sure it came off the line poorly adjusted?

Unless you unboxed it yourself straight from the factory, it is unseemly to disparage the initial setup on a guitar regardless of its brand or price tag since you don't know who handled it or 'adjusted' it before it came to you.

Lawyers call this 'facts not in evidence.'

I call it making stuff up.

It's a 4 year old guitar. New or not, wood moves. You also have no idea what the place you bought from did to it in the store for 4 years. You're right, you shouldn't have to set it up. The shop you bought from should've done that. If you wanted anything out norm like string gauge, action, ect - state that at the point of sale.

That comment should probably be directed at the store that sold it to me. Not necessarily PRS. I have owned 5 PRS and everyone was a fantastic instrument-INCLUDING THIS ONE. And again, it's notthe end of the world. I love the guys that sold it to me. I would buy another from them tomorrow. This post wasn't meant to indict anyone, I just wanted to know if I could adjust this thing myself. Seemed simple enough. I did it myself and it seems fine.

...in fact, as soon as that Vernon Reid PRS model comes out I am gonna buy one. Maybe even from the same seller that sold me this.

Were you the first person ever to touch your guitar since it came from the factory? You're sure it came off the line poorly adjusted?

Unless you unboxed it yourself straight from the factory, it is unseemly to disparage the initial setup on a guitar regardless of its brand or price tag since you don't know who handled it or 'adjusted' it before it came to you.

Lawyers call this 'facts not in evidence.'

I call it making stuff up.

LOL!!! And why would I make this stuff up? Kind of childish to say. Especially from a moderator. This is supposed to be a legit forum, no?

My comments were directed at your assertion that PRS initial setup quality is inferior to Hamer when simpler explanations should have been obvious as Vaughn and I pointed out.

I can't have an opinion? I am not trolling, I am just looking for answers and stating opinions? I am absolutely reporting you to the PRS offices Monday morning. This is not the behavior a moderator should be displaying on a legitimate sponsored forum.

That comment should probably be directed at the store that sold it to me. Not necessarily PRS. I have owned 5 PRS and everyone was a fantastic instrument-INCLUDING THIS ONE. And again, it's notthe end of the world. I love the guys that sold it to me. I would buy another from them tomorrow. This post wasn't meant to indict anyone, I just wanted to know if I could adjust this thing myself. Seemed simple enough. I did it myself and it seems fine.
It may not have been meant to indict anyone, but by the wording, it came off that you were inferring it was a PRS set up problem and was inferior to your Hamers. Of course you have the right to your opinion and can state it. At the same time, this is the PRS forum, and I'd expect backlash on any brand's forum with that kind of inference. Especially in regards to set up, which is done to suit the individual players need. It's a taste thing, which is subjective to the individual.

I can't have an opinion? I am not trolling, I am just looking for answers and stating opinions? I am absolutely reporting you to the PRS offices Monday morning. This is not the behavior a moderator should be displaying on a legitimate sponsored forum.

No need to wait. I'll put this thread on report myself for the PRS forum staff to have a look at.

Fair enough. That is a civil response to my post. If it came off as disrespectful, I certainly didn't intend it (as bad as it seems now in hindsight). My apologies. BUT!!!! That does NOT excuse the moderator's behavior to ChrisCst22, or accusing me of making my story up. It is absolutely childish behavior. The Moderator is ABSOLUTELY representing the company when he is posting on an official forum. It's embarrassing, irresponsible, and unprofessional (even though I am sure he isn't getting compensated). People come here to be part of a community. You can't have an abusive moderator throwing insults around. I expect an apology at the very least and hopefully this person will not abuse his authority in the future. At that point, I will consider it water under the bridge, and go back to getting and sharing great PRS information.

The advice given by ChrisCst22 was to adjust your guitar out of spec. I didn't think that was very good advice and still don't. I went out and found links to properly set up your guitar.

My comment to you about "making stuff up" refers only to your statement that a new $3000 PRS shouldn't come with it's action so high. "Making stuff up" refers to the assertion that something could leave the factory not properly set up. That is why I referenced unboxing the guitar. It is clear from Vaughn's response above that he took your meaning the same way that I did.

I never questioned whether on not your action actually was high, Nor did I say you made up that part. It is obvious from my responses that I believed you that your action was high, I just believe it was from handling after it left the factory. You are asking me to apologize for something I never said.

All the responses in this thread have dealt with disagreements on the content of what others believe or have suggested actions for setting up your guitar properly. No one is ever going to agree fully on how to proceed. Just like you, moderators have opinions too and should enjoy the same freedom to express them as any other member.

All the responses but two. Disagreements happen. Misunderstandings happen. They usually get ironed out. What cannot happen, ever, is for one member to personally attack another member with name calling and now threats. Should you apologize for twice calling another member (me) "childish", I'll remove your warning point for inappropriate behavior.

"Horse hockey"
"I call it making stuff up."
Can't apologize for that? Fine. I will call the offices Monday.

Back