Brent Mason Sig - Anyone tried it yet?

tmac65

I'm in the market for another guitar. The Brent Mason Sig looks like an interesting alternative to some Teles I've been looking at. Since Brent was always a Tele-guy, I figured it has to cover that tone pretty much dead-on for him to switch.

Has anyone played one yet? Thoughts?

I'm dying to try one! I've seen some demos online, including one of Brent playing one on a killer version of "Workingman Blues", and it seems like it does the Tele thing quite well. (It would have to, for Brent to go for it, eh?) Paul and Brent have designed one for me, and they don't even know it!:D My wallet is having fits already...

I've seen some demos online, including one of Brent playing one on a killer version of "Workingman Blues", and it seems like it does the Tele thing quite well.
Can you share the link for this? The only one I see of Brent playing that song is an NF3 from NAMM 2012.

Last edited:
yankeebulldog--I went looking for the vid and it is indeed from 2012 NAMM, and the guitar is an NF3. Sounds good, though--but so far the only clips I've found with the single-coil sounds on the Brent Mason guitar are the short ones from the 2013 NAMM, and that's really got me intrigued. I guess I'll have to wait until the guitars start showing up in the stores, but if the clips are anything to go by, I think the Brent Mason is going to be my next guitar.

Does anyone happen to know what kind of birds this model is supposed to have? The ones that have shown up in stock and in the demos have dirt birds.

Also, would it be safe to assume the frost blue and platinum models will have white pickguards like the NF3 and DC3?

I got one yesterday.. it feels amazing.. The body carve must be different... pups look great.. will plug in today.. probably gonna be hard to put it down.. will toss up a pic in a bit here.

Great guitar is my initial thinking.

Got a chance to try this one out today as it showed up to my doorstep:
IMG_0470_zpsac85e100.jpg

Awesome tones. This thing smokes. Love the neck profile. The 408 neck in this seems to sound fuller to me than it did in the Siggy. It can definitely do Strat tones in spades, better than the SAS or the AP Studio in my opinion. It's like a more versatile DC3. Haven't played around much with the bridge pickup with much gain, only my Dallas II and my Marshall JMP-1 non-boosted, but it sounds pretty good. The bridge is hot enough that the single coil tones are still fairly thick as advertised.

Hey YBD, is the middle position the middle PU, or both 408s?

It's the middle 305 pickup. I had to go check that once you asked since I pretty much don't use the 3 position. Unless it's got a 5 way super switch, you couldn't do both 408s in the 3 position and still get the quack of the single coils in 2 and 4.

I need to put black bobbin 408's in something stat.

I'm now very curious to see how this overwound narrow 408 bridge would sound in the neck position with the full sized 408 in the bridge. I did a short low volume test of this with my 5153 and it holds up pretty well in high gain situations. Pretty much on par with the 57/08 in my AP Studio gain wise.

It's the middle 305 pickup. I had to go check that once you asked since I pretty much don't use the 3 position. Unless it's got a 5 way super switch, you couldn't do both 408s in the 3 position and still get the quack of the single coils in 2 and 4.
I've got a CU22 Soapy and much prefer this switching than just the middle PU on pos 3. I wonder if it would be a difficult mod?

I also wonder if it wouldn't look better with a NF in there... I'm thinking if I got a BrM I'd swap the 305 out for a NF...

I've got a CU22 Soapy and much prefer this switching than just the middle PU on pos 3. I wonder if it would be a difficult mod?

I also wonder if it wouldn't look better with a NF in there... I'm thinking if I got a BrM I'd swap the 305 out for a NF...
Like I said, that switching would be impossible unless it had a super 5 way switch. It would be an easy enough mod to replace the switch.

I actually like the 305 in the middle for getting the 2 and 4 position "strat" tones with the 408s split. You'd lose that with an NF in there since those don't really split.

Like I said, that switching would be impossible unless it had a super 5 way switch. It would be an easy enough mod to replace the switch.

I actually like the 305 in the middle for getting the 2 and 4 position "strat" tones with the 408s split. You'd lose that with an NF in there since those don't really split.
Hmm I need to open up the CU22 Soapy and see what the switch looks like, I wonder if PRS went to the trouble of making a special switch, and if it can be ordered as a spare part.

I reckon you'll still get the Strat tones, a NF3/SA NF gets some decent Strat tones in pos 2 & 4, but you just get a bit more tonal diversity with the interactive volume knob. I could be wrong, it could turn into a toneless abomination!

Back