Archon midi switching solutions

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Maybe not a huge issue for everyone here, but is for some of us(including myself). It seems RJM has jumped in on making a midi switching solution for the Archon.
https://www.rjmmusic.com/store/product.php?productid=16138&cat=103&page=1
https://www.rjmmusic.com/store/product.php?productid=16258

I purchased a Voodoo Lab control switcher, hoping to achieve this, but it seems they aren't 100% compatible. I get channel switching to work and loop on/off with the clean channel but not the high gain. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure a way, but it doesn't seem possible. I exchanged several emails w/PRS and Voodoo. I think this is a big deal with this amp to be a heavy hitter, particularly with bigger touring bands who typically use midi to control rigs. I would've like to have something made by PRS, but I guess that's why companies like Voodoo Lab and RJM exist.

I wonder if using a device like this voids your warranty on the amp? It wouldn't matter much to me, because I have to have that function so I would do it either way(obviously).

I can vouch for the RJM stuff, I have a mini amp gizmo which I used with my Mark V/G-System. Easy to set up and no issues playing live.

Seems odd the Voodoo Labs can't do the same thing, I guess is has something to do with the combination of mometary/latching switches? (Sorry have no idea how the Archon switches)

I don't know, maybe there's something I'm missing. I'm certainly no expert, but with the info I was given and a string of emails from both PRS and Voodoo, I just don't see how.

You have the front panel switch on the amp set to "clean channel" of course, right? Thats strange.

Just to make sure I'm understanding the problem correctly, you're able to switch channels, and you're able to turn the loop on and off, but only when you have the clean channel selected?

When you stomp the footswitches on the Archon switch, do they make a clicking "latching" feel? Or does it feel like they're momentary buttons? If either button sounds or feels different that would be helpful. I'd love to see a gut shot of the Archon switching pedal itself, if you feel comfortable.

I can't imagine PRS came up with a totally different way to drive a relay and get power to an LED - it should just be a matter of the correct pin outs and knowing what sort of switches they are.

Hey Vaughn, how is the Voodoo connected to the Archon? I had a quick look at the manual and it seems to do the same stuff as the RJM but with less relays. Are you using all 4 relays or are some redundant?

Here's the initial email I got back from PRS with the pertinant info on the switching:
Hi Vaughn,

Pin 1 is a +4.5VDC supply (used for the LEDs only).
Pin 2 connects to the channel switch relay.
Pin 3 is no connection.
Pin 4 is the -4.5VDC supply for the relays.
Pin 5 connects to the loop relay.

The pin numbers I have given are not the order of the pins from left to right, they are the pins as numbered on the jack. See link for reference --> http://freespace.virgin.net/tom.baldwin/pinout-5din.html.

In using an aftermarket switcher box, it is critical that the +4.5VDC and the -4.5VDC not be connected as this will cause damage to the amplifier that is not covered under warranty.

Regards,

Matt King
Paul Reed Smith Guitars
Customer Service
380 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, MD 21666
410-643-9970

It's been quite awhile since I was working on this, so I'd have to take the cable apart - I don't remember how I have it wired anymore. There were more emails as well, which I'll try to find. I had to get this working quick so I could gig with it. Since I run wet/dry with a power amp handling my verbs & delay, the loop function didn't matter much to me. This was also right when the 1st batch of Archons came out, so not much info was out there. Will try to get more into this when I'm not working. It seems like the voodoo switcher should be capable, I just haven't had a chance to delve into it anymore.

Well that's just weird the loop works on one channel but not the other then! Unless the loop is momentary? As rabid said what do the original foot switch buttons feel like?

Well that's just weird the loop works on one channel but not the other then! Unless the loop is momentary? As rabid said what do the original foot switch buttons feel like?
I've only used it once, I can't remember! I wanna say they're both latching and click but will have to check.

Any news regarding the switching. I also want to use the Archon with my Ground Control Pro and the GCX!

Here's the initial email I got back from PRS with the pertinant info on the switching:
Hi Vaughn,

Pin 1 is a +4.5VDC supply (used for the LEDs only).
Pin 2 connects to the channel switch relay.
Pin 3 is no connection.
Pin 4 is the -4.5VDC supply for the relays.
Pin 5 connects to the loop relay.

The pin numbers I have given are not the order of the pins from left to right, they are the pins as numbered on the jack. See link for reference --> http://freespace.virgin.net/tom.baldwin/pinout-5din.html.

In using an aftermarket switcher box, it is critical that the +4.5VDC and the -4.5VDC not be connected as this will cause damage to the amplifier that is not covered under warranty.

Regards,

Matt King
Paul Reed Smith Guitars
Customer Service
380 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, MD 21666
410-643-9970

OK, so kgerbick7321 has resurrected the thread, and I will ask:

Hey vchizzle, with the switching info you provided above, can I assume :)eek:) that the -4.5 VDC needs to be latched for the channel or effects loop relay to stay engaged? i.e. apply -4.5 VDC to pin 2 and the channel switches to lead from clean, and apply -4.5 VDC to pin 5 and the effects loop engages. Take away the voltages and the channel switches back to clean and effects loop disengages.

Or does it work some other way?

A schematic would be really nice.

I'm trying to figure out which aftermarket programmable loop controller might be able to handle these operations. I bought a Joyo PXL8 (that does not have programmable triggers) because I didn't think I needed programmable triggers. Now I'm considering upgrading to the PXL Pro, but I am not sure if I can configure the interface correctly. I think I have an idea, but I'd like to gather more data first...

I think I need to take a multimeter to the footswitch (unplugged) to see what the contacts are doing when switches are enabled. And then take a multimeter to the footswitch jack on the back of the amp, just to make sure.

I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I've messed around with this. I'm planning on digging back into it but won't have time to do so for at least another week or better.

I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I've messed around with this. I'm planning on digging back into it but won't have time to do so for at least another week or better.

OK, no worries, I do appreciate it. I'm not in a hurry, but it is one of those "things" I'd like to tackle eventually.

Hey everyone, has anybody tried/had luck with going from the footswitch panel on the archon - breaking out into 1/4" jacks for the loops in the GCX? This is how I have my mesa setup for switching through GCX, wondering if it's worth buying a midi cable and splitting one end into 1/4" jacks.

I run MIDI through an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo and their Archon cable which is sold separately. My Eventide H9 sits in the loop and works great.

OK, no worries, I do appreciate it. I'm not in a hurry, but it is one of those "things" I'd like to tackle eventually.
Damn, I still haven't gone back and done anything with this! Sorry I never replied to you, I feel terrible. I ended up ordering a cable from voodoo lab for the Archon and their control switcher but I haven't even taken the cable out of the package yet! Mostly because it'll likely require me to edit every patch in my GCP.
Just bought this, not to resurrect a dead thread..but :) https://btpa.com/AS-ARCHON-XX.html
Might pick one of those up. Wonder if it would work with something like the Boss ES-5 or 8. Think I'll shoot an email.

Damn, I still haven't gone back and done anything with this! Sorry I never replied to you, I feel terrible. I ended up ordering a cable from voodoo lab for the Archon and their control switcher but I haven't even taken the cable out of the package yet! Mostly because it'll likely require me to edit every patch in my GCP.
Might pick one of those up. Wonder if it would work with something like the Boss ES-5 or 8. Think I'll shoot an email.
Hey Vaughn

I just got that cable from them in the mail to go with my recently purchased Boss Es 8. I'm gonna try and finish hooking it up and I'll let you know.

My experiences with self-made-cable:
* G-Lab GSC: works well
* Rolls RP93 Switcher (pretty old one :): works well
* Line6 Helix in 4CM: problems – 4CM works well until I connect the cable for amp switching --> hum

Back