Archon 50 = nailed it!

Guitarjon

Woohoo! I got an Archon 50 and it's totally awesome!

I had never tried an Archon before, I just heard clips and I tried some virtual emulations here and there. My takeaway was that the Archon has a very fat sound with rich and full mids and a thick bottom end, so not too tight. There seemed to be something really wide and fat about that tone and to be honest no other amp in my collection does that really. Kinda reminiscent of a Bogner I guess but it has been years since I played one.

So I saw one on Thomann and I snatched it! I guess it was the last one they had in stock so I got lucky. The price was nice too, somewhere around 1100 Euros or so. It arrived in perfect shape and it was well put together and solid, luckily everything works perfectly. It did come with a little footswitch like the MT15 so that's nice. I like the controls that it has, bright switches for each channel and resonance and presence controls.

The clean channel is very clean with a lot of headroom. So kind of sterile but a great pedal platform because of that. The bright switch does make it quite versatile. By default this channel has a lot of body. It doesn't break up easily though.... It's fine for what it is just not amazing.

The lead channel is really really good, I really love how this sounds! Like I said, wide and fat with a somewhat loose bottom end but definitely not as loose as something like a Rectifier. This channel works well for a wide range of tones from 6-string all the way up to 8-string. An 8-string will sound quite fat and sludgy but it's a great tone.

Has anyone tried one of these and what do you think? If you've had the chance to compare the new one to the old, how did they compare?

Anyway, you guys know me, of course I don't want to create this post without a demo so I made a video with a bunch of different guitars and tones. Just so you can see and hear what this amp has to offer. I hope you find this useful!

Good stuff! I've been preaching the word of Archon since early in 2016. Purple 50w head matched with this.

0eYCphS.jpg

Give the clean channel another shot. It has ultra high headroom for sure, but it is not sterile. The clean channel was one of the biggest draws of this amp for me. Just make sure you're using a guitar with pickups that sound good clean. Maybe some nice single coils in the neck position or neck and middle. A high output bridge humbucker will sound bad into any clean amp.

Edit: also set the channel volume to max.

Last edited:
I understand this version has a better transition between clean and breakup at lower gain settings on the lead channel. How good are the lower gain tones? Crisp and clear, or lacking in detail?

I bought one of the last of the older version Archon 50s maybe a year and a half ago. I love the amp.

Jon I’m glad you checked out the single coil sounds - some of my favorite tones I’ve had from my Archon are with my strat and tele.

regarding old vs new version, I’d be curious to check the new ones out. My FX loop is generally pretty ok. a little noise /hiss when the amp is cold, but it goes away as things warm up.

I love the clean channel, and it does take pedals extremely well. If I need low gain, that’s how I get it. The clean channel was the big surprise for me, but I bought the Archon in large part because I loved the gain voicing for high gain sounds, and it delivers. I have some dirt pedals that I love, so the Archon fits my use case very well.

Back