Anyone having issues with the tone control on the DGT SE?

Karl46

Received my SE DGT about a week ago. Preordered it from Kraft Music and they were great. I love the guitars looks, the tone and action. Today I noticed that my tone control is no longer working with the bridge pickup and it has become staticie. Took the back plate off and there are no obvious issues when I inspected the cavity with the pots/wiring. Has anyone else with a DGT SE or split coil SE experienced this issue? I did send a message to PRS via their website customer support.

Received my SE DGT about a week ago. Preordered it from Kraft Music and they were great. I love the guitars looks, the tone and action. Today I noticed that my tone control is no longer working with the bridge pickup and it has become staticie. Took the back plate off and there are no obvious issues when I inspected the cavity with the pots/wiring. Has anyone else with a DGT SE or split coil SE experienced this issue? I did send a message to PRS via their website customer support.
I wish! Still waiting on mine :p

My S2 tone pot was pretty crackly from day one. A couple rounds of deoxit made a pretty big improvement.

Edit to note that I *think* the SE and S2 tone pots are the same.

Just finished looking at my SE Custom 2408. The tone pot was working intermittently. We think we have found the problem, One of the contacts is earthing to the shielding paint underneath. Try repositioning it by loosening it off and repositioning. My son worked this out for me.

My S2 tone pot was pretty crackly from day one. A couple rounds of deoxit made a pretty big improvement.

Edit to note that I *think* the SE and S2 tone pots are the same.
I did use some contact cleaner last night but it didn't help.

I had that exact issue on the purple CE24 SH in my avatar right after I got it in mid-2021. I ended up sending it to PRS for warranty work, and they ended up not only replacing the tone pot but also the static-y pickup.

Just finished looking at my SE Custom 2408. The tone pot was working intermittently. We think we have found the problem, One of the contacts is earthing to the shielding paint underneath. Try repositioning it by loosening it off and repositioning. My son worked this out for me.
Terminal bent so it touched the graphite paint in the control cavity and shorted out.

I have had that happen with other PRS guitars.

The selector switch on my SE Silver Sky had that issue.

They should have caught it and fixed it when it got it's final inspection.

But they didn't so I did.

UPDATE. PRS had me send pictures of the cavity and responded that the wiring was wrong. They sent a prepaid shipping lablel and I sent it in for repair. I still think it's a bad tone control based on what it is doing. In addition to the tone control, they are going to work on smoothing out the frets. Fret work was pretty bad on the treble side. If nothing else, the PRS DGT SE has been a lesson in patience between the pre-order wait and now the repair work. Really eager to get it back.

That seems to be an ongoing problem. Happened with my SE Silver Sky too. One of the terminals on the 5 way switch was shorting against the conductive paint and one pickup stopped working. Easy fix, but requires removing the strings and pickguard.

Back