Anybody have favorite guitars that arent PRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRJC24PRS

Possibly A New Member
Whats your favorite guitar that isnt a PRS?

Mine personally is a Gibson Explorer Orange burst

When I decided to buy a bunch of PRS' (owning one is too difficult) I sold ALL my other guitars EXCEPT three. Favorites? One, maybe....

That one would be a Terada, Japan Pro Series Gretsch Duo Jet - a G6128T-59. Mine is a 2016, and doesn't have the TV Jones pickups. I am actually happy about that, because I prefer the lower output of Gretsch-built "Hi Sensitivity" Filtertons over the slightly hotter, overwound TV Jones pickups. Mine also has the full-floating bridge. It a very cool guitar that is equal to the PRS in tone, build quality, and feel.

The other two keepers were more sentimental....

My first "good" guitar - a 1987 Ibanez 540S bought new in 1987.

An Ibanez RG560 that I burned with gasoline and installed vintage Fender and Gibson pickups into. Sounds great, but has no real value due to being burned - unless you happen to dig it too!!

When I decided to buy a bunch of PRS' (owning one is too difficult) I sold ALL my other guitars EXCEPT three. Favorites? One, maybe....

That one would be a Terada, Japan Pro Series Gretsch Duo Jet - a G6128T-59. Mine is a 2016, and doesn't have the TV Jones pickups. I am actually happy about that, because I prefer the lower output of Gretsch-built "Hi Sensitivity" Filtertons over the slightly hotter, overwound TV Jones pickups. Mine also has the full-floating bridge. It a very cool guitar that is equal to the PRS in tone, build quality, and feel.

The other two keepers were more sentimental....

My first "good" guitar - a 1987 Ibanez 540S bought new in 1987.

An Ibanez RG560 that I burned with gasoline and installed vintage Fender and Gibson pickups into. Sounds great, but has no real value due to being burned - unless you happen to dig it too!!

Nice! Any pictures of the RG560?

My Gibson SG HP, although I have a love/hate relationship with it- I love the sounds, hate the build quality. I've sunk more time and energy into fixing stuff on this thing than any guitar I've ever owned, and sadly I'm not done yet. But it sounds incredible...

Thats certainly an odd one
Not really... According to a thread at TGP last year it's worth more now than I paid for it new, as it's recognized as a very good guitar that was not very expensive. In fact, on the side, I've told several of my buddies here... it is my best sounding electric guitar. The pickups are known to be great. The maple capped basswood is a great tonal combo for rock guitar, and the Floyd Rose that rests on the body gives it the thickness of a Les Paul in the low and low mids. That guitar kicks butt.

Not really... According to a thread at TGP last year it's worth more now than I paid for it new, as it's recognized as a very good guitar that was not very expensive. In fact, on the side, I've told several of my buddies here... it is my best sounding electric guitar. The pickups are known to be great. The maple capped basswood is a great tonal combo for rock guitar, and the Floyd Rose that rests on the body gives it the thickness of a Les Paul in the low and low mids. That guitar kicks butt.

Hmm I never played one from Peavey but I have played just an EVH Frankenstein and I enjoyed the tone when I played it through an Orange Dark Terror amp.

In fact, I'd NEVER sell that guitar UNLESS I get to try an Axis and feel it is an even better version of the same. Supposedly, the Axis pickups are even better, and I'm pretty sure everything else (build quality, etc.) would be as good or better. At one point, I thought a Monarchy Majesty would be my next guitar, but now I think it will be either an Axis or a DW CE Floyd. Or a DC3 or 305... or something. :D

I would love to play a Jackson PC.

The PC-1, or the original weird-shaped PC? If it's the PC-1, that is a great guitar. I gigged one for 10 years consistently. It was a little "weird" tonally until I pulled the sustainer system. Once I did that and wired it like a regular guitar, it was AMAZING!!!!!!!

Try as they might, and several have, nothing has displaced the one that has been Numero Uno since buying it 6 years ago.....A Huber Dolphin II. Have you ever owned a guitar that just KNOWS what you want to play before YOU do? A recent stumble onto a certain Ron Thorn Artisan (just in time!) comes really close.

That said, either the PS DGT (perny) or PS SC-245 with piezo (Pete castoff) could keep me happy all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back