Anybody have favorite guitars that arent PRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PC-1, or the original weird-shaped PC? If it's the PC-1, that is a great guitar. I gigged one for 10 years consistently. It was a little "weird" tonally until I pulled the sustainer system. Once I did that and wired it like a regular guitar, it was AMAZING!!!!!!!

Yes the PC-1. Looks good but I've never played one.

Yeah, the PC-1 is a beast. The neck is like a halfed baseball bat!!! I loved it. Mine were '98 models. I had wanted to hunt down one of the original Koa models, but the maple/mahogany sounded sweet.

I thought it was fairly bright, but when I swapped the Super3 pickup and dropped to a 250K volume pot I got it where I wanted it (I tend to like darker sounding guitars with a lot of mids). Most people that would play mine said it was too dark, so.....it comes down to taste.

My 1972 Gibson 325. I bought it just before my first PRS. I still play it a lot. On the depth chart it is #3, behind my two PRS'. But after it is a huge gap before going to my LP or Strat.

IMG_9565-Edit.jpg

I still like my 1991 LP Standard a lot. I bought it new and gigged it quite a bit in the '90s. I replaced all the electronics a couple years ago to keep it relevant. It's just too friggin heavy to play for very long, and it isn't as ergonomic nor does it stay in tune as well as my various PRSi.
It sounds quite good though, and the neck feels great.

Last night at band practice, I played nothing but 3 of my 4 PRSi, so go figure.

If it has humbuckers, it's a PRS.

The only itch they still don't really scratch for me is single coil guitars. I prefer a home brew F style for those because it's so easy to get customized parts and it's a fun project to put together.

Cmonn theres gotta be one

Honestly, there really isn't. Granted, I haven't played a TON of various brands, but have played and owned a couple of the major brands. I guess the only one that, to me, comes remotely close would be a Musicman....but I still wasn't vary inspired by it and probably wouldn't even considerate it a second, third, or even fourth place.

It's definitely a personal thing, but I just haven't come across another guitar that consistently provides me with the feel, tone, reliability and play-ability that my PRS guitars do.

Having said that, I've never played a Jackson, Suhr, or Carvin - those seem to get a lot of praise from people. But I'm the kind of guy that, if something works, I stick to it - so chances are I won't be playing any of them any time soon.

My 1972 Gibson 325. I bought it just before my first PRS. I still play it a lot. On the depth chart it is #3, behind my two PRS'. But after it is a huge gap before going to my LP or Strat.

IMG_9565-Edit.jpg

Love, love the mini hums! Besides the price, that's the main reason I bought my HP.

Honestly, there really isn't. Granted, I haven't played a TON of various brands, but have played and owned a couple of the major brands. I guess the only one that, to me, comes remotely close would be a Musicman....but I still wasn't vary inspired by it and probably wouldn't even considerate it a second, third, or even fourth place.

It's definitely a personal thing, but I just haven't come across another guitar that consistently provides me with the feel, tone, reliability and play-ability that my PRS guitars do.

Having said that, I've never played a Jackson, Suhr, or Carvin - those seem to get a lot of praise from people. But I'm the kind of guy that, if something works, I stick to it - so chances are I won't be playing any of them any time soon.

Ahh i gotcha there, I recommennd atleast finding one thats different in the arsenal. I have majority PRS but a few LPs in there as well

Right now the one guitar I couldn't live without is a 68 Thinline Telecaster. One of my PRS guitars would be a very close 2nd. Both get played almost daily.

Was going to say no, but then I remembered this one - http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/FRM100

Surprisingly comfortable, a nice thick neck with great frets (narrow and tall), but they could have used a harder fret material. Some minor QC issues if you look for them, but nothing that affected playability. If they made one at the quality level of the S2s, with a decent hard-case and priced under $1,800 I would be a very happy camper.

Although I have other brands of guitars that I do play, my favorite non-PRS guitar company is Music Man. All of the quality, different ideas, much more affordable.

My hardtail strat. On many many days it's my favorite guitar INCLUDING my PRS. On other days the PRS is number one. Just kind of depends on my mood. I've been a strat player for so long and have those sounds and the feel of those guitars so deeply ingrained that if you told me I could only keep one, the strat would probably win. The PRS is objectively a better guitar in a number of ways and it cost over three times as much used as the strat did new. But this isn't about objective stuff, and on a gut level, I'd likely choose the strat if I had to pick one electric to play the rest of my life. Can't imagine that'll ever happen, though, and I'm ecstatically happy to have both of them to reach for as the mood dictates... But if I'm being honest, if I had to pick one, my gut would choose the strat even if my head might not...

-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back