Another "is this real" question

Well, the picture is of a real guitar. It must have come from musicstorelive.com. Whether that guitar is actually for sale at that price is another question entirely. If you can go along and pick it up, then it's a steal at the price, especially if the condition is as described.

Looks to me like one of the McCarty Korina guitars, NOS from 2007. They started making a bunch of these in 2007, and they had Brazilian rosewood fretboards... something happened where they were no longer sure they were using legal Brazzy, and they shelved all the in-production guitars until 2013 when they were presumably cleared for sale. Some of this might not be entirely accurate, this is just what I heard about those particular ones.

Yeah, if that is the guitar for sale in that condition, it sounds like a winner. If you can pick it up, go for it!

Thanks for the info. The guy says he's waiting for a deposit from a buyer but in the meantime it's still available. I'm just suspicious...price is strange (why $1050 for a guitar worth way more than double that used? Why not $1100, $1200...?) If he was nearby I'd go take a look but it's a bit of a hike and my wife has the car.

Oh ya, plus I don't need another one just yet!

Update: they guy keeps emailing me (unusual for online classifieds of this type!)...says "the guy who was supposed to buy it didn't put down the deposit so it's mine if I want it". I asked for real pics, will see.

Everyone (myself included) wants to believe that "maybe, just maybe this is the real deal". But we all know the reality ;)

Still, curious to see pics...will post if he sends any.

..(why $1050 for a guitar worth way more than double that used? Why not $1100, $1200...?) ...

Not sure what you mean. I paid $1200 for a used McSoapy in 2008. I've seen some regular McCartys for almost your $1050. If it is NOS I can see questioning that price. If it is used it's right in the range I would be interested in IMO.

Thanks for the info. The guy says he's waiting for a deposit from a buyer but in the meantime it's still available. I'm just suspicious...price is strange (why $1050 for a guitar worth way more than double that used? Why not $1100, $1200...?) If he was nearby I'd go take a look but it's a bit of a hike and my wife has the car.

My Stripped 58 was listed as $2049....from Brian's Guitar no less, so it can be legit.

I have a McCarty 22 and something bothers me about that picture. Maybe it's the lighting, but the body carve looks too "S-2" squared off. Also the switch toggle looks small.
The sure test is to pull out one of the pickups and look at the "mod cat" number in the cavity.
I don't want to steer you wrong, the McCarty is a great guitar. New? $1050 No way.

Why not... $1199 or $1222? Just get it.

Okay so just for amusement's sake I kept asking for pics of the guitar itself...he kept telling me "I'm at work, just Google McCarty Black 2013". I said I knew the guitar very well but wanted to see HIS, he just answered "it's $1000 more new, Google it". Plus hes says, "it comes with a $275 case".

So: no pics of the actual guitar, and a non-original case. Anyone out there missing a '13 black McCarty?

He's gone silent on my persistence...I love a great deal like the next guy but sometimes the stink is hard to get around.

Okay so just for amusement's sake I kept asking for pics of the guitar itself...he kept telling me "I'm at work, just Google McCarty Black 2013". I said I knew the guitar very well but wanted to see HIS, he just answered "it's $1000 more new, Google it". Plus hes says, "it comes with a $275 case".

So: no pics of the actual guitar, and a non-original case. Anyone out there missing a '13 black McCarty?

He's gone silent on my persistence...I love a great deal like the next guy but sometimes the stink is hard to get around.

No pics, no deal. On used deals I make sure I talk on the phone too and listen for anything amiss. You're rignt, it's wonderful to get a great deal, but it's not so great to get screwed. Gotta know the difference. Looks like you do!

As a seller you want to make a sale so there is no reason to tell someone to "google the pics".

He is either selling a fake/stolen or don't have a guitar at all, soon as he get your money he will do a runner.

So the ad has now been modified with a couple more pics straight off Google, still no pic of the guitar in question, and now the price has gone from $1050 to $1125. Interesting concept to raise your price when it doesn't sell... Ad now reads "this guitar belongs to a collector who must sell everything he owns". If it's still around next week I might take a look anyway...hell, it's my birthday on the 19th!

Cheers

Ask him if you can pick it up in person or friend in the area to pick it up. If he is selling a fake or don't have a PRS then he will make excuses.

Back