Thoughts on this offer

SteveT

I've been looking hard for a new SC 245 in tobacco sunburst, but finding the fade and top that speaks to me hasn't been easy. I've found this beautiful 245 and would love anyone's input on this particular situation (07/13 Brazilian new old stock). Finally, the top I would love to have, but not the bridge I want, I need the adjustable bridge. Not the tuners I want, I want phase 3 locking. Not the pickups I want, I want 57/08 or 58/15. Does anyone have an opinion on picking this up because it has the look I want, and doing all the changes? Or should I keep holding out for another new model with the top and the specs I'm wanting? Thanks https://reverb.com/item/1802761-pau...st-package-brazilian-2007-2013-black-sunburst

The newer sc245 has all the options you want, maybe hold out until you find a newer model with a top you like

I think that some guitars will move you when you play them, and some won`t. if there is any way you could play this guitar, that would be the acid test. Electronics can always be changed. You can`t change the feel and vibration of the wood. WHile I`ve never played a "bad" PRS, some of them have just slayed me with their sound and feel unplugged. You can make them what you want when you plug them in. I say try it, and don`t do any mods for 1 month if you decide it`s a keeper. Learn that particular instrument, and then make your decisions on what to change.

The phase 3 tuners are not a drop in replacement for the vintage tuners on that guitar. That means holes drilled and the headstock is a different thickness. Those differences my sway you. The artist package is nice however.

Seems to me that the only thing about the guitar that moves you is the color and the top. Of all the items on your list, those are (to me) the most superficial.

I'd wait. Get what you want. You'll find something with the look you want, too.

The newer pickups and bridge are things that make a real difference to tone of this model, IMHO.

Echo others' thoughts on waiting to get the one you want. For the price difference of that one versus a new one, it's a no-brainer to me. Plus the fact of having to drill extra holes for the Phase III tuners, wait until the one you want shows up and it will have everything on your wish list. Of course, in an ideal world, you would like to play one first, just to make sure, y'know. ;)

Every time I settle, I regret it and end up spending more cash in the long run. That being said, I am notorious for not being able to wait for what I really want so what the hell do I know?

Agree with Fantasy Metal above...settling eventually costs more...sometimes MUCH more. Wait for yours, or get real close, and make a few small changes.

I've been looking hard for a new SC 245 in tobacco sunburst, but finding the fade and top that speaks to me hasn't been easy. I've found this beautiful 245 and would love anyone's input on this particular situation (07/13 Brazilian new old stock). Finally, the top I would love to have, but not the bridge I want, I need the adjustable bridge. Not the tuners I want, I want phase 3 locking. Not the pickups I want, I want 57/08 or 58/15. Does anyone have an opinion on picking this up because it has the look I want, and doing all the changes? Or should I keep holding out for another new model with the top and the specs I'm wanting? Thanks https://reverb.com/item/1802761-pau...st-package-brazilian-2007-2013-black-sunburst

The PTC can do anything you want except the tuners. The only reason I can see Paul not having replaceable P3's is that doing so would flood the market with company P2's and potentially end up on non-,PRS guitars.

The guitar on Reverb is superb !!!
The 245s are great pickups and locking tuners are unnecessary on a stop tail guitar ( IMHO ) and BRW fretboard :) that guitar has tone monster written all over it
at that price I would take a chance on love at first play .
I have both the 2 piece ( SC58 ) and the 1 piece stoptail ( MEII ) and if I could have only one it would be the one piece unit

Back